Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive heard that if you face your spark gap towards the throttlebody it produces 1hp on average.. i dont know if it actually would but i think this trick would be a good common practice anyway...

Make a mart on the top of your spark plug, or remember which way your wratchet is on it or whatever to know which direction the open gap of the spark plug faces and make them all point towards the trottlebody..

I dont know how this could possibly make a difference but it sounds like a nice thing to do for your legend even if it doesnt. maybe the fuel spays on the inside part of the gap more or somthing or maybe just makes your sparks more equal to each other... i dont know!

· Registered
779 Posts
this wont work your plugs are supposed to be at a certain torque and that spot is not going to be the same at every hole and aslong as your are making proper compression it really wont matter were the spark is aslong as their is spark

· Registered
658 Posts
It's an old practice called indexing the plugs. This is one of those "one-percenter" tweaks. You'll be lucky to get one horsepower.

· Registered
2,316 Posts
This wouldnt work anyway! Think .... the fuel enters the cylinder by the valves ... this swirls everything around so ... it doesnt matter. Dont believe everything you hear ... or read

· Registered
658 Posts
Actually, it could matter. The charge swirl could be hitting the back of the electrode and slightly shrouding the spark. Get the plug turned 90° and it is fully exposed to the oncoming stream.

Yes, it is a very minor effect but there none-the-less.

· Registered
779 Posts
slartibartfast said:
Actually, it could matter. The charge swirl could be hitting the back of the electrode and slightly shrouding the spark. Get the plug turned 90° and it is fully exposed to the oncoming stream.

Yes, it is a very minor effect but there none-the-less.
you do understand there is no longer a "stream" once the i-valve closes and the piston reaches TDC it all becomes compressed and extremely flamable so were ever your spark is its gunna ignite, its not gunna ignite "BETTER" because of the way you turn your plug its just gunna ignite

· Registered
658 Posts
Swirl remains as the piston rises due to the intake charge's inertia but its vector most like changes. Keep in mind swirl can be in the vertical plane as well as horizontal (think 4-valve heads).

Indexing will make the most difference when dealing with ultra-lean mixtures or top fuel dragsters.

· Registered
536 Posts
I think driving your car with a gallon less in the tank than usual will give you more power. but hey.. why not go for the quad electrode sparkplugs? if that is what you are already using then yes, i am a [email protected]

idea: remove your mirrors! less aerodynamic drag! :)

· Registered
658 Posts
88_acro said:
we have 4 valve heads and they are hemispherical so as long as it is at the top of that sphere it wont matter where the sparkplug is turned
You're not putting enough thought into this. 4-valve heads typically swirl in a vertical plane. The localized vector of the swirl will be down at the valves, turn horizontal at the piston, up the opposite side of the cylider and then back toward the intake valves. The spark plug electrode could be situated such that the flow at the top of the cylinder is impinging upon the backside of the ground electrode.

Probably why there's some small improvement with the multi-prong spark plugs.

· Registered
779 Posts
who says theres an improvment with those plugs? the company? OFCOARSE they want your money? i am going to SH!T in a box and sell it for $19.95 and say it makes you 5hp when you rub it on your valve covers? Who wants some?

· Registered
779 Posts
Shai_Hulud said:
good one.. how about $9.95? $10 discount for forum members... :)
don't wait call within 10 mins and ill even throw in an electric super charger (a 7-10dp [donkie power] increase) for the low low price of $9.95 S&H does apply have your credit card of account number ready before you call and remeber no COD's

· Registered
536 Posts
Throw in a banana for a worn diff and a six pack of eggs to sort out those radiator leaks and i think you might have youself a deal... oh yeah, and a jar of sledgehammer lube, but that may be pushing it...

· Registered
658 Posts
You guys sure know how to f*¢k up a good technical discussion.

Yes, some cars aCTUALLY DO get benefit from the multi-prong spark plugs. I should have written that I wasn't speaking specifically about the Legend.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.