Acura Legend Forum banner

Want to buy 2000 RL

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  GREYLEGEND 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am new to the group, this is my first post...

Just wanted to get some feedback on the following scenario:

Local dealer is selling a 2000 RL with 65K kms, for $20k cdn.
Car is in awesome condition, accident free, one dime size chip on the door with a bit of rust starting. I did notice however, that the wheel jack in the trunk has rust spots all over it as well as the carpeting in the trunk appears to be a little damp. I also noticed that some of the various clamps and leads that hold the belts, wires in the engine bay show signs of rust, mostly at the bases.

As I mentioned before, the vehicle is accident free (as far as the insurance company goes, I guess), are these vehicles prone to faulty rubber seals around the trunk, doors ? Would this raise a red flag for anyone ?
Any input greatly appreciated. What other signs should I look for in this situation ?

Thanks in advance.
Martin P.l

See less See more
#5 ·
poz said:
Hello everyone,

I am new to the group, this is my first post...

Just wanted to get some feedback on the following scenario:

Local dealer is selling a 2000 RL with 65K kms, for $20k cdn.
Car is in awesome condition, accident free, one dime size chip on the door with a bit of rust starting. I did notice however, that the wheel jack in the trunk has rust spots all over it as well as the carpeting in the trunk appears to be a little damp. I also noticed that some of the various clamps and leads that hold the belts, wires in the engine bay show signs of rust, mostly at the bases.

As I mentioned before, the vehicle is accident free (as far as the insurance company goes, I guess), are these vehicles prone to faulty rubber seals around the trunk, doors ? Would this raise a red flag for anyone ?
Any input greatly appreciated. What other signs should I look for in this situation ?

Thanks in advance.
Martin P.l
Martin,
For your benefit (I realize this may come a bit late for you) and others in Canada who may read this, I think what you may be looking at is an Eastern Cdn. vehicle which has been imported out West. There is a lot of this that goes on and the reason why is because the price of used vehicles in Toronto and Montreal is significantly cheaper than used prices in places like Vancouver, or my city, Calgary. Some dealers in Alberta and BC like to buy cheaper Eastern vehicles and then sell them at used western prices thereby dramatically increasing their profit margin. Problem for the buyer is that they have to deal with the rust factor and increased expense of repairs ie: instead of machining brake rotors, you frequently have to replace them on eastern cars because of the rust.
Whenever you are looking at a used car, DO NOT believe the seller as far as where the car originates from. Private sellers and dealers are notorious liars as far as being honest about their vehicles background, especially if the car is eastern. In this case, call Honda Canada toll free(1-888-922-8729 or 1-888-946-6329) and give them the car's VIN (serial number). They will tell you where the car was sold new and if you ask nicely, they usually will tell you where and when the last warranty claim was made. I can't tell you how many vehicles I've seen, billed as western cars, turned out to have spent most of their lives in Toronto and Montreal. By the way, do this with any used car, not just Acura. If you're looking at an Audi for instance, call VW Canada. I looked at an A6 here in Calgary that the seller bought from a Vancouver Audi dealer. I saw the bill of sale. I checked with VW Canada and sure enought, the Vancouver Audi dealer bought the car out of Montreal and let the buyer think it was a local Vancouver car he was buying.

The price you're quoting...$20K Cdn for a '00 RL with 65 km is a very good price, IF it is a legitimate western car. For that price, I have my doubts. Vancouver Acura dealers would be asking mid to higher 20's for that car if it was a legitimate, non-accident, western car. I suspect for that price you're looking at a secondary used car lot, and if that's the case, you need to be much more careful with your research, as they, more than the large manufacturer lots, tend to cut corners on the reconditioning and import many more eastern cars than do the large manufacturer lots.

In any event, if you are still looking or others who are looking are reading this, be sure to verify where the car comes from before you make an offer on it. If it's a nice car, but, comes from Eastern Canada, you should mark down you offer significantly to allow for the extra repairs you will run into and the hit on the resale value you will take when you are reselling it and potential buyers do their checks and find out its eastern origins.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.