Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new on this board, so forgive my ignorance on these great cars. I am ready to buy a 94 or 95 Gs legend, so i would like to know how much should i pay for a well maintained one? i have around $10000 to spend on it. can i get a decent one for this amount? where should i look for one? thank you for any info.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
In my hunting experiences, waiting is the name of the game. Your in Los Angeles like me, go to www.recycler.com and check out the Auto section. Someone on the board referred me to this site when I was looking for my car. (I believe it was LegendGS?) I found my baby, a Pearl White 1994 Acura Legend GS Sedan. It has 133k on it, which is a little higher then then the normal what I was originally looking for. Here's the good part: I got it for $7200, and doesn't have any problems. It rides great, couldn't ask for a better car :)

So, look, look and look! Don't buy until it's what you really want. When you buy find out if the timing belt has been replaced.

Let me know if you find any. Good Luck!

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
hey veloci...

first and foremost, welcome to the Legend forums, you are welcome to ask any and all questions, no question is ever "dumb", we're patient and more or less respectable as a whole on these forums....

i'd use www.autotrader.com , www.cars.com , www.yahoo.com , www.ebay.com to get a general idea of what you want and for what price....

I get the idea that California cars tend to be a bit higher priced than "other" cars from other places, so you might have a tough time finding your dream car in Cali for 10k, but you never know...

however, I'd really look at local papers, as well as autotrader, a lot. I found my dream car w/ the help of another Legend forum member, so maybe if u tell us what exactly you're looking for, what mileage, etc, someone out there can email you when they see something respectable....

-J

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Yep, Jose brings up a good point. Cars do tend to cost more here, but there are good deals out there. What portion of L.A are you in? Are you looking for Manual or Automatic? How many miles you looking to find on one?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Definitely use your local paper as well as autotrader.

$10,000 may be a little low depending on what you want. What kind of mileage are you looking at? Do you want a manual or automatic?
It also depends on if the owner knows what kind of car he has. I highly doubt you will find a GS 6 speed with less than 100K miles for under 10K if the owner knows what kind of car they have.

For myself, I got my 95 GS automatic last summer for 13K with 90K miles. I live in CO, so if you really want a legend, pickins were slim. The owner also knew what he had and what the legend market was like in CO. ;)

The main thing I would point out is be patient. DO NOT jump at the first car you find if you don't really want it or feel that you are settling. You have to wait it out until that perfect car comes along. You have to be willing to wait, possibly a long time. It took me 2-3 months to find my car. If you don't, you will regret it when 2 weeks after you buy, that perfect legend pops up.

Well, good luck, and always feel free to ask any questions. :)

·
Registered
702 Posts
man, for 10g's you should be able to find a perfect 94 gs, possibly a 95 for under that price...the key is simply looking around and WAITING like the others said...cuz eventually you will find the perfect car and perfect deal for you. check everywhere, ebay, newspapers, driving around, dealerships...just don't rush it cuz you may get stuck with somethin' you didn't know about....good luck, if you find anything and need advice about whether or not it's a good deal, ask away and we'll be glad to help ya. :) (hehe, besides, i'm in front of a computer at work 8 hours a day 5 days a week so feel free to ask bout anythin'.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Hi Veloci!

Welcome to the forum! We are so glad that you are looking buy a 94/95 Legend. Good decision.

I Think FutureX had given this information in another post:

Sedans
91-95 (200HP, TYPEI Engine, 5-speed manual available)
94-95 only GS (230HP, TYPEII Engine, 6-speed manual available)

Coupes
91-92 (200HP, TYPEI Engine, 5-speed manual available)
93-95 all trims (230HP TypeII Engine, 6-speed manual)
Trims available in 1994: L, LS and GS
Trims available in 1995: L, LS, GS and SE

I just bought a 94’GS in Glendale for $10K with 104K miles. The car is clean and looks good. Its black in color and leather is in very good condition for a 8 year old car.

You have to be patient and wait for the color that you really want – The right car will definitely come along.
Jose mentioned various web sites that you can search for Legends in addition to the local LA times.

Yesterday, I saw a Black 94 0r 95 Legend here in bay area with a “FOR SALE” sign on it. If I see that car again, I’ll get the phone # for you. The car looked good and had chrome wheels and tinted windows. Personally, I think that in LA you will get better deals.

Welcome once again and do keep us all posted!
Best of Luck!!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Yeah this place is crazy like that, but I wouldn't move back to LA to save my life.

One other place to check for your car is at Dealerships, people do trade in their Legend that's where I found mine, See, I gave up trying to find a 95 GS (that's what I wanted) so I went to the Lexus Dealership to possibly get a G1 GS300 and I told the salesman what I really wanted and was like " I got one, a guy traded it in for the big SUV" I about peed my pants. When he showed it to me I couldn't believe how clean it was, it looked brand spankin new, the owner took it only to the acura dealer for all its maintanence so I was able to go see the whole history from time the car was purchased, but then I looked over at their asking price and I was like ooooohhhhh I don't know about that, they wanted $22K with 56k miles on it, but I at least had to take it for a test drive, why did I do that, I fell in love it, but I new I didn't want to spend that much, I had a very clean 92 Vigor at the time, Since I just had to have this car, I wheeled and dealed with him and the manager for like 4 hrs back and forth, back and forth, all the while people are test driving this car to death, I mean people was going to pay the $22 fourtunately I was already preapproved through my credit union, and the three people before me didn't check out through their loans, and so in the end I walked out with keys paying $19k (after trading in the Vigor only, no cash out of my pocket) still more than what I wanted to spend but it still fell within my budget. I said all that to tell you, go to dealerships Infinity/Lexus/Bmw/Mercedes, paticularly Lexus most Lexus drivers are ex-Legend owners, and sometimes you have to spend a little more to get that perfect Legend, none should be at the price I spent though that was about 3yrs ago.

I make my last Payment this month yyyyyiiippppeeeeeeee:D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Good news RenoG. The car is finally yours (I mean it was yours since last 3 years but after paying it off you feel so much better!).

So, where about in bay area are you and what kind of work do u do?

I live in fremont (east bay) and i hate it. I moved here 2 years ago from LA becoz I got a better job. But now I just wanna move back. The houses are so expensive, traffic SUCKS (only 2 freeways) and its overcrowded to the core!!!

The way prices are here, I don;t wanna pay thru my nose for a beat up 50 year old house!

Anyways, I'm loving my new 94'GS!!! ;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
There's a small chance im gonna be selling my 94 GS 6-speed in the next month or so. ill keep you posted, if youre interested. it has 150k miles, and is getting a new paint job (sherwood green clearcoat peeling). but the interior still looks new.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you guys, i really think i found a great source of info and a great group of people in this site. Today i am driving to Glendale, they have a a '95 GS with 95000 miles for $11,500. I think i will be able to talk them down. And it is even black, my favorite color. Another question, how are the Vigors? power? quality?Price?

thank you, again

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Vigor is the Legend's little brother, in my opinion, no Vigor pictures do it justice, it looks very good in person. Not as good as a Legend though :D

The front grille of the Vigor is the only thing I never liked about it, the Legend's front is much much better.

Vigors are 5-cyl and carry about 176HP or a 170HP, not sure to tell you the truth. The Legend is 230HP for a TypeII. So, if I were you, I'd look more into the Legends. The 2.5L TL can be found for $11k or so sometimes, 1996-97s. They are also 5cyl, but for that price, I'd still go for a Legend.

Here's a pic of the 2.5L TL 5cyl

1 - 16 of 16 Posts