Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I got in my 90 Coupe in the middle of the HOT Florida day. My keyless entry automatically locks doors when key is put in switch and turned. So I turn key and get nothing but a couple of red lights on dash, not the usual full array. Switch dead...doesn't turn over, at all. Pulled key out and turned it (the key) over, thinking "what the hell, worth a shot". Nothing. I try a couple of more times and at this point I'm not getting any lights at all on dash when key it switched to on position. Then I realize, I'm locked in this freakin' hot car! Door locks won't pull up! For a moment the cabin of my coupe felt like a hot coffin. I think, "I'm gonna die like a puppy in a locked car". Then I realize I'll have to bash out a window, but of course this is a last resort. Trunk release is electric and doesn't work, so I can't climb out thru trunk. Finally after 10 HOT minutes, before bashing window, I jiggle the Auto Trans stick that is locked in Park. Must have been a miracle 'cause when I turned key I got one red dash light and immediately hit the door locks and opened the door! After learning how to breathe again, I raised the hood and found that the positive battery cable was on the post but not at all tight enough. I was without tools, but managed to put in on so that when I hit the switch the car started fine. So, let this serve as a warning that all the automatic electric ammenities are nice but they can turn on you. AND, besides carrying a hammer under my seat, what else could I have done? Are there any tricks that I'm not aware of? I do recall (now, not then) that there is some way to open the sunroof when power is down.??? I just want to be better prepared and to prepare others for a real life case of "survivor".

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
It does not sound that serious.

I say that because If that happen to me you can still grab the door lock knob and pull up to open the door. Unless you messed with it and made it shorter.

It can be done. I do it a few times now.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Yes, you can open the sunroof manually. There is a little gromit covering a hole in your headliner. I think it is behind the sunroof somewhere. Remove the gromit (it has a flat screwdriver-type head), and underneath is a hexagonal thing. Use the hexagonal key (mine is in the glovebox, yours might be in the trunk with the toolkit- i suggest leaving it in the glovebox) to turn this bolt, and the sunroof will manually open.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.