Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
that is right, clean it and wax it!!!!

i use normal dish cleaner with warm water... i read it from a car magazine.
waz i use traditional "Turtle", there are different kinds of turtle, i just bought a new one, cream yellowish color, it smells so good like a new leather interior... but hard to polish.. costs around $5. and also you can cheaper green one costs $3, bad smell, but easy to polish... BTW you can get them from walmart.

good luck, i gotta to wax my car again, and use scratch X..heeheh

·
Registered
120 Posts
Dish washing soap is good to use before you wax as welovelegend said, but do not use it between waxes . It takes the old wax off leaving your paint unprotected until the next wax.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I recommend this, b/c I love the results and u will if u see it. Wash the car, use the products I listed down bellow if u want to. Get Megguires (I'm not sure if u spell it like this :D) black & gold (or myb gaze). It's in a pyramid look alike box with a black car on the front. It's a wonderful wax. Also use the same brand for the soap.

If u got scratches u can get them out with a brown bottle (same brand) #3 (a soft rubbing compound, not harsh to damage ur paint or clear coat). If u got swirls from urself washing it or another company use #9 (swirl remover). If u do wash urself and just use towels to dry it, than I recommend getting a washing glove (on one side it has almost like sheep skin and the the other a plastic grill for scrubbing rims) I know u didn't ask for this much info, but just FYI. Hope this helps.

Latin................:D

·
Registered
424 Posts
KenS said:
Dish washing soap is good to use before you wax as welovelegend said, but do not use it between waxes . It takes the old wax off leaving your paint unprotected until the next wax.
I totally agree, but I was also told by a autobody shopt that wash soap eats the clear coat in the long run, also the clear coat on rims. I don't think warm water is really good idea b/c that would make the soap dry faster.

Latin...................

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LATIN_RAVER_LEGEND said:

I totally agree, but I was also told by a autobody shopt that wash soap eats the clear coat in the long run, also the clear coat on rims. I don't think warm water is really good idea b/c that would make the soap dry faster.

Latin...................
I had also heard tha same as Latin but apparently alot of peepo use dishwashing soap to wash their rides.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Dish washing soap is very hard on car finishes. The detergents remove oils from the paint and dull the finish in addition to removing the wax. Use only a nondetergent soap specifically made for car finishes from a reputable mfgr. Warm soapy water will be more effective than cold, but you don't really want the soap to dry on before rinsing. Foam is very important in the dirt removal process, you want to float the dirt off in the foam (provides lots of surface area and keeps it off the finish so as not to scratch). Car wash compounds have softening and wetting agents in them to facilitate foam and dirt dissolution and removal. If you have trouble spots like grease, tar, bugs use specific cleaners for them (which have some solvents in them that do not harm the finish, but WILL remove wax....so you need to rewax those areas). Hard rubbing during washing can scratch finish...better to do often rather than building up residue....a good prerinse flood will remove a lot of loose grit. Start at the top and work your way down doing one panel at a time before thorough rinse. Maguiars has a whole host of great products, depending on your needs, I like the Gold wax (liquid) for my NSX and use the cleaner/wax on my Legend...they go on and off pretty easy.....

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bigdad,
how often to wax and why do you use diferent waxes for your cars? Cause of the colors on the cars?
You sound like you know alot on this topic,
so please advise.:D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Bruh, you may wash and wax your car as much as you care to, just use the proper chemicals. You may access Mequires web site and they will give you a "prescription" for your desired result. When I run out of product, I am going to switch over to www.zainobros.com to compare if the quality is work the price increase.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I agree with Bigdad, don't use dish detergent:( would u guys use dog shampoo on your hair:p i always pick up a big bottle of car wash soap, brand doesn't matter for washing, but i do use a Mit to scrub my car, i apply some soap on it put it on and wash away u should start at the top of the car and work down i usually do the roof, front and back glass, and door windows, then i wash soap off, then i would do either the rest of the front or back of the car, i wash in sections so as to not let the soap dry on the car especially if washing the whip in the sun, then i use a leather chamois to dry her, i don't wax it since i wash it often so after washing her i throw on some black magic car polish...stuff leaves it shining:cool: then of corse i detail the inside.....i have to drink me a heiny while i'm washing....lotta work but i like it in some strange way:D

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
repy to aztec legend..my legend is the daily driver so I use the cleaner/wax since it does get much more exposure to grime etc. The Legend is Taffeta White and the NSX is Brooklands Pearl Green (really dark) and the different waxes do make a little difference in appearance...The Gold leaves a deeper luster that you don't/can't see in white. As for experience, I'm just old (55) and have made enough mistakes to learn a little from them. I haven't used the Zaino product, but of all I have tried the Maguiars is the best, in large part because of the ease of application and removal. There may be better waxes with more Carnuba in them, but if I won't wax it because it's too hard to do then it ain't worth much. I wax every 4 months or so, but wash weekly... you can see my NSX at cars.com (used cars for sale) in zip code 37774 Knoxville TN

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hate_me_now,
sipping my korona is what I'll be drinking while enjoying taking my azteklegend a bath.
Thanks for tha input felluz.;)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Top of the Line

I personally use Top of the Line products to detail (wax, shiny dash stuff, tire applicant, etc...) my car with. I've used the Meguires and Mothers and Zymol, but none of them compares to the Top of the Line stuff that I use. Top of the Line

This stuff goes on smooth as butter and comes off nice and easy. I can wax my entire car in about 15 minutes. The water just beads off in the rain. As easy as it is to wax my car, I wax it about once a month (when it's not cold outside).

For car wash stuff, I use Zymol car wash liquid. I've only used regular dish detergent when I'm getting ready to "cut" my paint, which I've only done once and I've gotten really really good results.

Bao

·
Registered
847 Posts
James92LS said:
I got three words:

Zaino, Zaino, Zaino

That stuff is awesome... I use their car wash soap and their waxes.... I'm sure other guys on the board can agree with me.

www.zainobros.com

-James
Zaino, Zaino, and Zaino Only~

As you can see from my SIG~
:D :D :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts