Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a weird one,

Water comes out of my friend's 1991 Acura Integra GS... from the Exhaust. Sometimes it's just a couple of drops, but if you accelerate it, more comes out... the water appears to contain rust.

It has a 50,000mile engine which was put it not too long ago (previous engine went dead, blown), The car overheats, and the radiator needs to be replaced because of it (this is probably why it overheats). Now, the water levels are not dropping in the car... There is no water in the oil...

The car has been still for about 2months. Where's this water coming from?? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By the way this car DOES have a lot of miles, he got it fairly cheap for around $2000 or so. The body is actually in excellent condition and the inside is pretty good. The car was sold as is, and the engine blew soon after, he went back to the dealer, and they didn't want to repair it. In the end, he only payed about $300, to have a 50k engine put into it.

Check out part of the carfax report:

04/02/1999 154,259 California
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Merced, CA
Title issued
Odometer reading recorded on 08/09/1998

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

04/13/2000 187,189 California
Inspection Station
Dos Palos, CA
Designated GROSS POLLUTER
Failed emissions inspection

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

04/13/2000 Vehicle Repair Center
Dos Palos, CA
Vehicle serviced

04/28/2000 187,931 California
Inspection Station
Dos Palos, CA
Passed emissions inspection

04/28/2000 Vehicle Repair Center
Dos Palos, CA
Vehicle serviced
Spark plugs repaired
Ignition system repaired
EGR vacuum line repaired

04/17/2001 200,419 California
Inspection Station
Passed emissions inspection

05/02/2001 California
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Los Angeles, CA
Title issued
Ownership transfer reported

You think it can be related to one of the listed problems? By the way, how the heck does a spark plug repair and such show up on the Carfax??? Authorized dealer or something?? I found that quite odd!

G

·
My grandfather is a mechanic and he's worked on cars and works on 18 wheelers now.. He actually told me a while back the water comming out of the exahust (warter drops) is acutally a good thing.. I don't remember why though.. Now rest colored water is a different story..

·
Registered
427 Posts
yeah a mechanic told me that water was coming out of my Exhaust and it was a good sign if no water comes out then it is a bad sign since i needed to pass my emission test

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
"Water is a normal byproduct of combustion. When a hydrocarbon such as gasoline is burned with air, the main byproducts are water vapor and carbon dioxide. Carbon dioxide remains a gas, but the water vapor cools and condenses as it exits the tailpipe, especially on a cold morning when the air is cool.

When the engine is shut off, much of the water vapor that's moving through the exhaust system condenses within the pipes and muffler. The further aft from the engine the muffler is located, the greater the amount of condensation. This water lays in the muffler until the next time the engine is started. Sometimes water will be blown out the tailpipe by the force of the exhaust. Other times, it may remain trapped in the low spots of the exhaust system until the system gets hot enough to boil it away.

All this water is what causes your muffler and pipes to eventually rust through from the inside out. There's no way to get rid of it, so many new vehicles have exhaust systems made of stainless steel. Aluminized pipes and galvanized mufflers are increase the corrosion resistance of the exhaust system. Even so, most original equipment exhaust systems won't last more than five or six years, and most aftermarket replacement systems only two to three years."

·
Registered
167 Posts
resurrection of an old post

re: water from exhaust, my legend is the first car I've owned that doesn't have water coming out of the muffler, i'd like to know what are the possible problems.

I'm thing maybe I need a new cat converter, but i'm not sure. what do you guys think?

·
Registered
167 Posts
waterless

be relaxed. Just condensation! I wouldn´t worry. The reason of some water drops out of your exhaust is quite normal. Esp when the engine is cold. It means that the cooling water from the engine is dumped into the exhaust housing to keep it reasonably cool.
but mike, what if it does't happen? is that a sign of a problem to come?

2,721 Posts
Correct, water is a normal byproduct of gasoline combustion.

IMHO however, if you don't have water dripping from your tailpipe, I WOULD NOT consider this a problem. I guarantee you still have water vapor coming from the tailpipe.

If there is a huge white cloud billowing out of the tailpipe, you SHOULD consider this a problem.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
167 Posts
whew

Searchin4acoupe said:
Correct, water is a normal byproduct of gasoline combustion.

IMHO however, if you don't have water dripping from your tailpipe, I WOULD NOT consider this a problem. I guarantee you still have water vapor coming from the tailpipe.

If there is a huge white cloud billowing out of the tailpipe, you SHOULD consider this a problem.

Hope this helps.
thanks for your help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts