Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Up until yesterday, my 1988 Legend had been tight and dry inside. Today, I disovered water (soaked carpet) on the driver's side floor and directly behind on the passenger floor.

Any thoughts on where this might be coming from. And what is a good way to dry out the carpeting, too.

Thanks.

·
Registered
420 Posts
soulartist said:
Up until yesterday, my 1988 Legend had been tight and dry inside. Today, I disovered water (soaked carpet) on the driver's side floor and directly behind on the passenger floor.

Any thoughts on where this might be coming from. And what is a good way to dry out the carpeting, too.

Thanks.
What color is the water, clear, rusty...? Is their an odor too?

Best way to dry out a carpet that is constantly getting wet is to fix the problem then pull the carpet and let the floorpan and the carpet dry seperately.

I'm thinking the problem might be coming from your heater box. Just a guess till you answer my previous questions.

·
Registered
192 Posts
The floor behind my passengers seat got soaked when my sunroof decided it got tired of keeping water out...
To get it to dry, I had to leave the window open just a little bit (for a week or so) - so the moisture wouldn't stay in the car.

·
Registered
300 Posts
i

have the same leak but on the passenger side. On closer inspection I noticed the weather stripping on my door is torn slightly. I believe that is where my leak is coming from but I'm also planning to check the sunroof drains when I get some time.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
soulartist said:
I had the car detailed a few days ago, and, yes, it had been raining a lot.

How can check this drain hole the moon roof and how can unplug it if it's clogged?
check the threads for instructions...it also involves removing your mud guards if you have them....to access the drain plugs at the bottom.......

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I am having that problem

It sounds like it is coming from the Windshield molding. you need to check it and see if the triming around the Windshield in rusting.
I did not check mine but it is common and i do not want to tear off the molding that is not cheap at the dealers.

It could be the moonroff. open it and see if water is settling up there.
The drain hose may be clogged.

I want to re-paint my can and then replace the moldings and at the same time remove the Windshield and make sure the border is not rusting.

·
Banned
1,379 Posts
your sunroof drains are clogged,there are 2 in the front and 2 in the rear.get some music wire and with your roof open rod out the 2 front drains. you will see them in the corners of the front.when finished flush with hot water and observe to see if the water drains out near the front mud guards.you will probably have to repeat this process more than once to get the drain tubes clean.when done open your trunk.start on the left side and pull up the covering material to expose the power antenna.look behind it and wou will see a rubber tube going into a boot.pull this tube out of the boot and take off the black nipple on the end.rod up the drain tube to dislodge debris and flush also. you may have to repeat a couple of times.put nipple back on tube and put back into boot.do the same for the right side.caution :please be careful to mop up all loose water around your ECU which is under the passenger seat because if any and i mean any water gets to it , it fries.good luck.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Drying Out, I Trust

I took the car to a reputable mechanic shop. They said the sun roof drain holes were a bit clogged, which they cleaned. Everything else seemed okay.

It seems that although the sun roof closes tightly, water can still get seep in.

Now about drying out. I used a dryvac, which did pull out some water. But there is more under the carpet - taking the carpet off appears to be a job for a someone who knows what he's doing! Unless, of course, there are step by step instructions how to get the carpet off.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
The sunroofs on the Legends all leak in some way..it's just the way they were built and designed. All of us have had that unexpected shower once in our Legend ownership life !!

Check out www.honda.co.uk/owner/LegendCoupe/index.html to see if there are instructions about the carpet. It might be a lot more intense than you think...probably involves removing the seats.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I trust that it is the sunroof that is the culprit.

I did check the link - it's a major undertaking to remove the carpeting - seats must be removed. In the meantime, I use the dryvac every chance I get.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Leak May be from the AC

I was getting a lot of water on the passenger side of my 1987 Legend. It like happened overnight. Finally took it into the dealer after my wife's ultimatum. Turned out that the drain hose for the AC was clogged (for the first time in 17 1/2 years). They cleaned it out and it was fine--leak went aware. You can do this yourself next time the car is up a lift for an oil change. Just have something for the mechanic to swab out the hose with (another smaller hose or plastic rod).

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
drain

summerst said:
I was getting a lot of water on the passenger side of my 1987 Legend. It like happened overnight. Finally took it into the dealer after my wife's ultimatum. Turned out that the drain hose for the AC was clogged (for the first time in 17 1/2 years). They cleaned it out and it was fine--leak went aware. You can do this yourself next time the car is up a lift for an oil change. Just have something for the mechanic to swab out the hose with (another smaller hose or plastic rod).
Similar thing happenned to me. Water would back up till you could actually hear the fan blades contacting water. Dealer would blow it out with compressed air. I had the car in at an independent mechanic who I mentioned this to. He discovered the hose was doubled over and not draining.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.