Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
*r**h *eller
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, mine arrived today.

First thing for potential buyers to be aware of is it comes with NO instructions for installation. If you aren't prepared to noodle it out yourself or spend long distance $$ with Weapon R, I'd recommend you pass for the time being.

Some of the cuts on the sheet metal have not been deburred, so be ready to do that. It also appears that the user will have to drill some holes to mount the thing to the chassis.

The hole the intake tube passes through does not have a chafing guard, so owners of cabon fiber intakes (like me) should consider finding something to prevent the sheet metal from sawing through the intake over time. Same goes for the slot for the power steering hoses.

Not calling it a piece of junk or anything. But with custom pieces There are quite often many "field fitting" operations that need to be accomplished.

As I work it through, I'll document the steps and get some pics. It'll probably take a while with the winter weather and such. I'll keep all advised.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Dave C

Although some of us have complained to whomever was standing near us when we opened the box (the most), Weapon R, and on the forum - you my friend have went into detail.

This is clearly does not fall into the "You pay for what you get" because the cost exceeds what I expect to pay for the lack of uniformity and overal quality. Thank goodness my skirt gave my the CAI.

KNLNGUS

·
*r**h *eller
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
KNLNGUS said:
Dave C

Although some of us have complained to whomever was standing near us when we opened the box (the most), Weapon R, and on the forum - you my friend have went into detail.

This is clearly does not fall into the "You pay for what you get" because the cost exceeds what I expect to pay for the lack of uniformity and overal quality. Thank goodness my skirt gave my the CAI.

KNLNGUS
You misunderstand. We are a "niche" market with VERY low volumes. It's worth the money to have the pieces "templated" and 90% finished (at least to me). A local custom shop here (hot rod not ricer) quoted 300-350 (plus a week at the shop, working a time available basis) to do the same and the actual cost would have been time and materials.

Now I an capable of doing some of the "noodleing" out of the final details, but down time to template the basic pieces was not a starter for me.

Once I see how complicated the install is I'll give my final opinion on the value.

·
Registered
397 Posts
DAVE C!

Hey man, I was doing some searching on Intakes and noticed this thread from January. Since I'm from MD I know what it's like trying to do mods during the winter :D. Just wanted to see if you've made any progress on this CAB or had any pics yet. Based on what I've heard so far, I am trying to see if this box is worth purchasing or should I simply try my hand at "noodling" :) my own. Like you, I too am capable of manufacturing anything I can see in my mind. Holla!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Thai.95LCoupe said:
MC_ did your CAB come w/ the white trim and was is "drilled" to spec. for easy installation?
It came with silver trim (sliced silicone hose) that matched the coupler on the intake. The CAB only mounts to the car in two locations, one of the locations you screw into the fender well and the other one you use the existing 10mm bolt at the bottom of the intake.

The CAB is screwed together with 3 screws/nuts - very simple and I had no "fittment" problems

·
Registered
744 Posts
Now here is the question MC_ ... Would you do it again... Not from a performance stand point but from standing infront of Home Depot or Lowes with a buck seventy five?

KNLNGUS

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
KNLNGUS,

I think we all ask ourselves that question everyday with the Legend. Think about it what other car has:

Strut Bar = $300
HIDs = $500
Exhuast = $500-600
Struts = $500
Intake = $200-300
Spark plugs = $70

Would I do again, I like to say no but I'd be lying. We all spend rediculous amounts of $$$ to be unqiue - enough said.

The other advantages of the CAB is that it hides the empty space left by the factory intake. In addition, it conceals the HID wiring and ballasts very well. Lastly, from what Im told it muffles the common aftermarket intake noise and hissing. I personally like how clean it makes the engine bay look. I was not a big fan of having the intake stand out in the open. I figured if it didn't work well (performance wise) I could still convert to a CAI while using the CAB.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I hear you about spending the cash - it just pains me to think about EXACTLY what that cold air box is comprised of vs the cost, when I have these thoughts of (grandure about) fabricating a CAB for $50.00

In you opinion do you believe an exact replica could be produced for SERIOUSLY less than what was initially shelled out. And second... is there a donor out there?

KNLNGUS

·
Registered
397 Posts
KNLNGUS said:
I hear you about spending the cash - it just pains me to think about EXACTLY what that cold air box is comprised of vs the cost, when I have these thoughts of (grandure about) fabricating a CAB for $50.00

In you opinion do you believe an exact replica could be produced for SERIOUSLY less than what was initially shelled out. And second... is there a donor out there?

KNLNGUS
That's my question too, is this box any more than just a box with holes cut in the right places to fit the intake and mount to the engine bay? If so, can someone who has seen one of these boxes in person (pre-installation) could send me a ROUGH diagram, I will fabricate the "pYAB" [short for pYmpdaddi Air Box] :D

·
Follow Me
1,272 Posts
Dave

Did you ever get a chance to put up instructions on how to install? I am going to install mine during spring break!

·
Registered
38 Posts
my local shop, Kiyoshis installed mine. i will post pics soon. mine is also making a rattling noise when the engine is cold. My 94 did not have a bumper vent either ? so we did not hook up the ram...(no mechanic here). btw what about DV8 in napa ...he's pretty close to Sac right ?:2cool: after seeing his website i wish i bought his cai instead i think...?

·
Follow Me
1,272 Posts
Legend4Matt said:
my local shop, Kiyoshis installed mine. i will post pics soon. mine is also making a rattling noise when the engine is cold. My 94 did not have a bumper vent either ? so we did not hook up the ram...(no mechanic here). btw what about DV8 in napa ...he's pretty close to Sac right ?:2cool: after seeing his website i wish i bought his cai instead i think...?
Your car is beautiful! Why do you think your car is making that rattling noise?

I still need instructions by the way if any one could throw me a line it would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
38 Posts
lifting the hood soon might help ..duh but since im not a mechanic type i will guess its a loose fit cuz it does not make noise after she warms up.

btw i get a kick out of reading our threads from guys all over this country ! nice to have something in common...tho i just read the closed thread about dyno numbers from "spoon" with some guys getting serious about their specs.

MC's got a gorgeous coupe. Hey MC was the remus and the bayou a good investment ? Did the pre 94 coupe start w/ 230hp?

Everytime i see a nice coupe i wanna trade. darn wife said i had to have a sedan for the kids ...mebbe a coupe will be my next car after i give this one Matt.;) or probably an Inf. M45 w/ 340hp !!! cant wait to make a deal and customize one of those a bit.

yes this is a mid life crisis....

·
Registered
38 Posts
added a pic of my cab to my sig. no ram air connection tho.

Moderator Edit:
You left off the [*/img] from the end.
Hope this helps

1 - 20 of 22 Posts