Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have pictures, but need to take a few more and those will required that I take off intake which I wont have time to do until Friday. Please read through this completely before you do anything to get good idea what is going on. This is a preliminary DIY until I have time to add pictures and restructure the instruction, add proper names of parts etc.

First remove the clamps on the oem filter, then the hose (the size are different so its easy to match up with the weapon-r). There are 3 bolts to remove to take out intake box (I am going by memory so I may be off by one), one of which you get to by removing the oem filter, the other two are closer to the engine. Take out oem box, clean area you are going to attach coupler to (those grey rubber things, both couplers are same size so it not matter which goes where). Use clamp to attach the coupler to throttle body (is that what it is called?), insert weapon-r intake (the bent end) to coupler, use second clamp to secure it. Attach the 3 lines to matching port on intake (use on supplied with your system, you may want to hold off cutting them shorter until you test the system).

Attach to other end of intake the other coupler secure with clamp. Get that bracket (supplied with your kit, has a curve on end and many holes/slots) and slip it between clamp and intake filter and other end of coupler. This will act as your support (I did not install this as yet, going to do so this week end and will take pictures then). That rubber thing with a bolt going through it goes into one of the holes bellow the intake and than you need to bend the metal bracket so that a hole lines up with the other end of "bolt" in that rubber thing (sorry I don't have instructions with me, cannot remember what they called it). You want to bend it at a point where the metal bracket will support the intake and keep it from touching/resting against anything. Secure metal bracket with supplied nut. That should be it. Oh for the time being go to page 3 of the "Weapon R Secret" tread bellow for a few pictures posted by LS92Sedan.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
SquaL said:
=
Attach to other end of intake the other coupler secure with clamp. Get that bracket (supplied with your kit, has a curve on end and many holes/slots) and slip it between clamp and intake filter and other end of coupler. This will act as your support (I did not install this as yet, going to do so this week end and will take pictures then). That rubber thing with a bolt going through it goes into one of the holes bellow the intake and than you need to bend the metal bracket so that a hole lines up with the other end of "bolt" in that rubber thing (sorry I don't have instructions with me, cannot remember what they called it). You want to bend it at a point where the metal bracket will support the intake and keep it from touching/resting against anything. Secure metal bracket with supplied nut. That should be it. Oh for the time being go to page 3 of the "Weapon R Secret" tread bellow for a few pictures posted by LS92Sedan.
Have you done this part yet? I have the secret intake and cannot figure out how the support goes into place. Send me some pics if you have taken some please.
Thanks

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, not yet. I saw that you had installed yours so I thought all went well. I had to deal with HG repair, so my car was out for a few weeks (did seals valves etc. also). Now that we have fallen 1hr behind its dark when I get home. I will see what I can do this week end.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Gride_Cruiser said:
Just a qucik question for you guys, what do you guys think of the performance gains from the Secret Weapon Intake? I am somewhat interested.

Thanks.
Just sounds better! Maybe a little improvement but not significant. Performance will be noticed by CAI not short ram unless I do a cold box which I should look into.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cannot say I notice a difference in terms of performance, but sounds really nice. I will be performing a dyno (changes Remus and Intake) as soon as my engine is broken in.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I just had a remus and my secret weapon installed a couple of months ago. I the main thing you will notice the engine will breathe alittle better and the sound is really nice. If I could quote Tony from Velocity "if it is startin to sound really good you are going too fast."

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
k

My friends GS breathes better....top end. He feels it.

Be careful on hoses and take pics...

·
Sales Guido
1,086 Posts
I can't speak about the Weapon-r from experience, but with any short-ram, it will allow much more (albeit warm) air into the engine as apposed to the stock set-up. You will get some gain in performance, but it will mostly be in the high RPM range. On most dyno tests I've seen, short-rams usually gained about a 4-8 hp increase over stock, and about 3 lb. ft. of torque. But again, it depends on the car itself, the efficiency of the stock air-box, and a few other variables. Most people on the forum seem to think the Legend will only pick up about 2-3hp with a short-ram, so I don't know. I don't think I've ever seen a Legend SR dyno test. I'd be curious to see what kind of gains you pull with this intake.

·
Sales Guido
1,086 Posts
93LegendSedan said:
SuperCoupe how did you make your custom intake and where did you get the short ram RM Racing intake and parts to make it?
The intake I have was originally an RM Racing short-ram, but I don't believe that they make it anymore. In fact, I don't know if they're still in business anymore. You can use any short-ram to start out with, and the best place to get one is eBay, due to the fact that they are like $25. I just went to a local auto parts store and picked up a 3" 90 degree exhaust elbow for like $20. I got an elbow with a fat end, and I just heated it up with a propane torch and slid my old intake into it (There's no coupler on my intake, it's one solid piece). Then I just put the filter onto it. There's a huge difference with the CAI as opposed to the SR. If you do go the CAI route, make sure you keep your wheel well liner in, and your fog light cover to eliminate risk of hydrolocking. Also, if you buy a SR from ebay to start with, make sure you buy a K&N filter for it, as the filter that comes with it will be a pos. Best of luck.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Aaaahhhh. Stupid computer locked up right after I had finished writing this up. Had to reset. :mad:

Ok. Here I go AGAIN.

Parts required are shown bellow. I will remove this bracket eventually as I have the cold air box shown in picture.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Remove this bolt. Note I did not bother to use the supplied rubber mounting grommet. I have shown in picture where I think it should go, but that would require a more aggressive bend of bracket and you would also have to move bracket to the clamp (on intake) closer to grommet.

Loosen clamp on filter and slide bracket under it as shown bellow. Then tighten clamp.

Here is bracket lined up with hole. Bend Bracket to desired position while you have intake suspended in final position you want it to be in.

Slide bracket under other bracket you remove bolt from (by the way if anyone thinks this location would be a problem please let us know).

Here is the final result.

Sorry about the large image. I have not had time to read my photo editor manual on changing the size. Will do so soon. Hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got mine from Autoaccessorystore (intake instruction mentions the p/n for cold air box). Cannot find invoice right now, but Visa statement shows $120 (I also bought cleaning kit at the same time). I don't think it was cheaper than what LS92Sedan paid. It was LS92Sedan original post that made me look into getting the box.

LS92Sedan, Donut mentioned to remove stock resonator. Did you do that?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey so I just got my intake and installed it today. I looked at the pictures thats up here and wonder how the hell it got put together to be near perfect over that red cap. I myself had to cut up the hole a bit bigger and messed up the bottom right screw slot. I took some pictures just in case anyone wanted to see the way I did it. I do have some questions since basically i just moved some hoses here and there and installed it kind of funny. I'm wondering if i did this either horribly wrong or just semi sloppy.

This is the basic set up.

This is how I basically cut up the dang box.

You can see how I got lazy with the smallest hose all the way to the left by simply connecting it to the original set up. You can also see the infamous first hose that was ridiculously hard to fit. (I cut myself twice when my hand slipped while trying to force it on)

The middle hose is the worst, I basically was too lazy to cut it and wrapped it around the intake.

This is another pic to show how it wraps around.

This is that magical bolt that keeps it all in place. If you noticed on your car's frame theres a hole right where that bolt is and you should have an extra bolt from removing the stock air box. You can put that bolt right here to make sure that your box stays down.

Finally heres one that shows how the box levels up the the rest of the car

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.