Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This just started happening, now that it's in the low 40's at night in SoCal.

When I leave for work car starts and runs fine, then the alternator light comes on. If I rev it past 4K the light goes out, but it comes back on when the revs go back down.

But after a few minutes of driving the light goes out and everything is fine. When I go home from work the light does not come on.

So it seems the cold is affecting something, but I'm not sure what. Belt is relatively new and is not loose. The battery is a year old.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Belt is tight, so I'm thinking voltage regulator issues. But it only happens when it's cold, which is why I'm stumped.

·
Registered
205 Posts
When cold, start the car, measure the voltage across the battery, it should read at least 12V, preferrably 13V or higher..

Rev the car, note at what RPMs the voltage increases, it should increase right away, if it doesn't until 3k+ rpm, then alternator or some part of the alternator is shot...

rafto said:
Belt is tight, so I'm thinking voltage regulator issues. But it only happens when it's cold, which is why I'm stumped.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.