Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a weird question, but my dad has an 85 Audi 5000S which he hasn't fixed in a while, I was taking a look at it today, and noticed a couple of "weird" things.

#1 the battery is located underneath the backseat
#2 the radiator/fan is located diagonally on the right side of the engine...

What other cars have it like this, is there a specific reason, i'm sure there is.... ??

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Wow, that has gotta suck when wiring something like foglights...:rolleyes:

·
I'm too sexy for my car
2,498 Posts
Thats the first time i've ever heard of anything like this. Is there an extra space inside the hood and are you sure he isn't running two batteries?

·
Premium Member
9,173 Posts
almost all newer BMW's have the battery in the trunk. but as far as Audi goes, they're pretty creative. They always want you to do a double take at their cars.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Both of my parent's BMWs (93 740, 95 525) have the battery located under the rear seat. This helps a but with weight distribution, but is mainly to keep the battery away from the elements. It works too, seing as to how the battery in the 7 lasted 8 years.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Old VW Beatles had the battery under the back seat....

....was real funny too when the floor would rot out and you'd see a guy dragging the battery down the street.

·
Registered
671 Posts
FutureX 2001 said:
This is a weird question, but my dad has an 85 Audi 5000S which he hasn't fixed in a while, I was taking a look at it today, and noticed a couple of "weird" things.

#1 the battery is located underneath the backseat
#2 the radiator/fan is located diagonally on the right side of the engine...

What other cars have it like this, is there a specific reason, i'm sure there is.... ??
Yeup - my Dad's 86 5000CS Turbo had it under the back seat too... but you could still get a jump from under the hood, it had contact points up there so you didn't have to take your back seat out just to get a jump :)

-James

·
Registered
583 Posts
Yup

VW VW VW VW VW VW VW VW VW VW VW VW VW VW VW VW
did I mention bugs, type III, type IV's?
:D
Think thats goofy go look at a Renault... the [email protected] engine is in backwards.... belts at the firewall... talk about a b!tch to work on...

·
Registered
139 Posts
As for wierd battery locations I've seen a few in my time at Sears. The chrysler sebring's have them in the front left fender well. You have to take off the wheel and tire to get the battery out, which is a royal pain in the ass. The Vipers have them in the left rear fender well, you also have to take off the rear tire to get to it. I saw an old .... ford?..... pickup with the battery under the front seat, and that was the stock location too. Some of the new buicks have the battery nicely hidden under the windshield washer fluid reservoire. Oh yeah, and for the new beetles you have to take out the air intake to get the battery out because they mounted it tucked under the side of the fender, but at least it's still in the engine bay. I think the 8 series BMWs have two batteries, one in the engine bay and one under the rear seat, but I've never actually had to replace one so I don't know for sure. Sorry about the long post but I just got carried away.

·
Registered
583 Posts
jumpin'

Can't tell you how many times I got funny looks with
jumper cables dangling out the window in my VW's....:D

PS, yeah, I've drug a batter too....
The sound makes your [email protected] pull up...:eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts