Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I did some looking around here before I posted my question so please be easy on me.

Yesterday all of the sudden my steering wheel had a funny feel to it. The car pulled to the side a little then seemed alright. It kinda felt like maybe the power steering belt was loose and maybe it was slipping and causing the funny feel. But thats tight.

It happens when cornering. Very odd.

I know thats not telling ya much but I cant think of a better way to explain it.

Thanks to anybody that can help me diagnose.

·
Insert key, crank, BHG.
4,476 Posts
I might know what you're talking about. Around the same place in the steering while on gentle corners its suddenly a lot more willing to turn like when you crack your knuckles. For me it got pretty bad and when I turned the wheel while parked with the engine on the wheel would finish turning itself a full turn and a half. Turned out to be my inner tie rods. My mechanic told me it wasn't a danger to drive so long as you keep your hands on the wheel. Get it fixed of course, but don't be worried about it if you can't do anything about it till the weekend.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks. I just drove it again and the steering wheel jerks all over the place. I had an alignment just about 6 weeks ago and had 1 tie rod replace and i know the mechanic woulda wanted to do both if they needed it.

If i hadnt just had that work done i would go with your assesment but that stuff is fresh. Any other ideas?

·
Insert key, crank, BHG.
4,476 Posts
When I had my tie rods replaced, I still had the issue when I drove it off the lot. I immediately took the car back and told them about it and they said to bring it back Monday after the weekend and they'd look at it thinking it might be the whole steering rack. The next day though all the problems went away. Never came back. Very odd, but perhaps look into the steering rack? Have you had your mechanic look at it since replacing one of the tie rods? And isn't that an item you always do as a pair?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well.....The mechanic is somebody who had been in business many many years with a very impressive shop. I had a wobble under braking and that was the bad tie rod end he replaced.

I found out just days ago he retired and closed his shop so I am screwed in that aspect.

I sure do appreciate you helping me on this. I just jacked the car up and tried to move the wheel around and it has no slop in it.

Im thinking its the rack

·
Premium Well Wisher
2,834 Posts
sounds like your Rack & Pinion to me....check the fluid, if it's slightly low (and shouldnt be), the internals have started to leak.

I replaced the Rack on my GS and my '91 is up next...my symptoms: when you turn, sometimes it felt like the wheel would turn itself. like the wheel is on a smooth plain, but then it hits this certain spot like there's a nitch in that plain and the wheel sort of falls into the nitch

eventually it got worse to where you almost needed to wrestle it out of that nitch...look at the boots on your Rack. If you see fluid...the Rack's on its way out. it could still be something else, but it def sounds like what happened to me

as for the sporadic symptoms, that also was how my GS was. I drove it for a bit but it started to get worse.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.