Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey just recently my car started idling really odly, when i start up the car is goes to 700 then drops to nearly stalling then shoots back to 700 then it falls back down to nearly stalling. it will keep doing that until the car is put into gear, then it wont do it again until i start the car back up.

it doesnt seem to matter if the car is warm or not

any help????? :confused:

· Registered
315 Posts
your car idles at 700 right upon start up, dont u have to warm it up in order for it to drop to 700? cuz mine idles at like 1200 right after i start it, then when it warms up it drops to like 750.

sorry i do not have a for sure answer for your question, but maybe u should try to adjust the idle.

· Registered
7 Posts
I had the same problem last year. It gets worse in the weather is really hot!!!
I adjusted my idle @ my throttle body. It went away, and came back later on. I adjusted it again, and then again, and finally it hasnt come back. Give it a try!

· Banned
2,279 Posts
With your symptoms I would look into the TPS or possible clogged up item. EGR system? Do you have any check engine light on?

· Registered
114 Posts
TPS (throttle position sensor). Its possible that you may have air in your coolant system. Have you tried to bleed the coolant system. I would also check for a vaccum leak somewhere in your system. Your idle is controlled by a vaccum pod, which is located on the on the firewall on the passengers side. Does you car run warm at all? Its possible that your car is starting to show signs of a head gasket starting to fail.

JR

· Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i bled the coolant car temp is right were it needs to be

but a vacume leak is possible, i will have to check that out, the only thing i see is that it idles fine any other time

also, i let it set and do the idle thing, and it cleared up after like 20 seconds

· Domesticated *******
1,679 Posts
Sounds like your coolant temp sensor is on its way out. When these go bad they don't always throw a check engine light. This sensor is the reason for bouncing idle when there is lack of loolant or air in the system. I would replace this just to be sure, it is about $30 from autozone.

I had one go bad that never threw a code until a year after the problem started. The problem I had was just like a bad main relay. I would have a no start condition on hot days as well as when I drove the car for a bit and turned it off for a few minutes. I replaced the main relay twice with a new acura one and still no luck. I dealt with this problem until the check engine light came on and when I replaced the CTS the problem has not come back since. That was over a year ago BTW.

· Banned
2,279 Posts
I can agree with the diagnosis of bad coolant temp sensor. I believe mines is busted as the car will idle fine on startup and then when I start moving the check engine comes on and my idle in drive is at 900.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.