Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was comin back home after pickin up some food and as soon as I got on the road on my way back I looked at my speedo and was going about 40mph and then all of a sudden it went straight to ZERO! And then it started jumping for a few seconds and then about 10 seconds later it went back to normal. :confused:

Anyways, it's never done this before and it hasn't happened since. Just want to know what happened.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,634 Posts
it's just the speed sensor on it's last flickers, it's common on our whips, once it's dead it'll make your D4 light blink, but on the plus side when it does go out, so will your odometer:D
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HATE_ME_NOW said:
it's just the speed sensor on it's last flickers, it's common on our whips, once it's dead it'll make your D4 light blink, but on the plus side when it does go out, so will your odometer:D
It's only happened once, and I threatened to leave it if it did it again, so it stopped. :D

I guess I better start looking for a new odometer, huh? :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,658 Posts
Look at the previous threads, I just made this post about 3-4 days ago. I was driving and my speedo shot down to zero while I was going 40mph. It lasted for about 6seconds. Then, last week it did it again, going to 20-0-30-25-0 crazy stuff... for about 10seconds. I get the problem like once a week. Don't be suprised if your D4 light starts to flash soon (it did to me on Sunday). This all indicates your Vechicle Speed Sensor is bad. Cost about $70-80 for it. It's located near or on the transmission. I'm going to replace mine in a couple of weeks. Don't have the cash right now.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FutureX 2001 said:
Look at the previous threads, I just made this post about 3-4 days ago. I was driving and my speedo shot down to zero while I was going 40mph. It lasted for about 6seconds. Then, last week it did it again, going to 20-0-30-25-0 crazy stuff... for about 10seconds. I get the problem like once a week. Don't be suprised if your D4 light starts to flash soon (it did to me on Sunday). This all indicates your Vechicle Speed Sensor is bad. Cost about $70-80 for it. It's located near or on the transmission. I'm going to replace mine in a couple of weeks. Don't have the cash right now.
That sounds just like mine. I was going about 40mph also. Great! Another thing I have to buy for my car. I'll never get my car finished. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,634 Posts
it's nothing that important to replace...unless your one of those types that actually looks at his speedometer:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
296 Posts
LeGenDz said:
I was comin back home after pickin up some food and as soon as I got on the road on my way back I looked at my speedo and was going about 40mph and then all of a sudden it went straight to ZERO! And then it started jumping for a few seconds and then about 10 seconds later it went back to normal. :confused:

Anyways, it's never done this before and it hasn't happened since. Just want to know what happened.
Mine used to do that too. I took it to the dealer, they cleaned the contacts at the transmission and greased it up good........reconnected it, and no more problems. Didn't cost me a thing. The mechanic did it while I was getting my state inspection done. He said that rust, dirt, grime, mud from the snow, etc will cause it to do that, and sometimes cleaning off the contacts and goopin' it up will fix it. I would try this first to save some money.

Ghost
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks like I jinxed myself. It started acting up again. I don't know if I might have caused it tho... :D I was racing my cousin in his 98 LS400 and when I seen my speedo at 130 I let off the gas thinkin I was puttin too much stress n the needle. :D

Wasn't really a race since he was behind me the enitire time. :D Just a high speed run on a deserted highway.


Anyway, that was on the way to the theater and after the movie was over and we were leaving my D4 light started blinking just as expected. :( What's the next step? My speedo is still going but the light flashed the entire way home.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,658 Posts
Yeah, sometimes mine now starts to mess around, the D4 starts to blink, then 5mins later the TCS and Check Engine light will go on. Still no codes stored though. Mine can stay at Zero for minutes at a time, then start to act weird again, it's annoying!
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top