Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am a two day old new owner of a 70,000 mile metallic green GS!!!! Had to fly 500 miles to get it, but none the less worth the 7 hour drive back in my new baby! Not even a single rock chip on this baby!

One problem though that wasn't noticed in all my test drives.... At 75mph the steering wheel began to shake. Not bad, but enough to notice. It didn't get any worse all the way past 100. The next day when my wife and I were driving to work (she was driving) she said it was shaking really bad at around 35mph. I could see the wheel moving around in her hand. I didn't believe her, but I rotated the tires when I got to work anyways. Next my dad drove it and he said he had to pull over at the end of the block to make sure I put my wheel on right. I didn't believe either of them but then I drove it and held the speed at 20mph. The wheel was moving 1/2" either way in my hand. Sort of went away at around 25 mph, but then you could slightly feel the vibration from there to 70mph. The dealer did a four wheel alignment and balanced all 4 tires before I bought it, so what else could it be? The tires are pretty worn (31k on XGT-4's) with one side of the tires worn much worse than the other...I don't mean like inside outside difference, I mean when you roll the tire the tread goes from slick to 1/4 and back to slick again.

Am I out $500 for new tires, or out $1000's for a new front end.

Nearly crying over my wounded new baby....

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Any defective front end part(s) should have been identified when the alignment was performed. The symptoms you describe would indicate that an alignment was either not performed or performed by someone who had not a clue.

My guess, and this is only a guess, is that a tierod is defective as the shaking occurs at both high and low speeds. The vehicle only has 70k miles and any failed suspension/steering part is a bit premature for the given mileage...unless the vehicle's mileage is in error or the vehicle has been involved in a collision.

The shaking and uneven tire wear could be due to several things: (1) a way out of alignment condition, (2) bent wheel, (3) defective tire, (4) tie rod, (5) hub bearing, (6) rack. First order of business is to take the vehicle to a quality alignment shop for a 4 wheel alignment. This should ID any failed/worn parts as well as checking for out of round wheels and defective tires. Your going to have to replace at least one tire, so plan on replacing the pair.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
sounds like a belt has shifted on the tire that goes from smooth to 1/4 tread. this will make the car try to change direction every rotation ...it will "waddle" at idle creep....need to replace the tire. I have had this happen twice on different cars. Of course, there could be a mech., problem, but first put on a known good tire and see if the problem disappears.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. I am obviously hoping it is a tire problem, since I knew they were due to be changed soon anyways....I needed an excuse to put on some good summer rubber anyways. I am going to rotate them back and see if the problem changes. I am assuming the alignment was done properly since it was done at a very reputable Acura dealership and I have the service records. Tie rods were my second guess. I am taking it to my mechanic today after I talk to the Acura Tech who worked on it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I know you said the dealer balanced the tires for you but I'd have their work double checked.

It sounds like your due for new tires anyway.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I called the dealer I bought them from and they are now saying it sounds like a broken belt inside the tire. I described the problem my mechanic and he immediatly came up with the same answer on his own. Brought it to the tire store an hour ago and they took one look at it and said "Whoa, both of your fronts have broken belts!". So the dealer has agreed to replace all four with my Kumho 712's...SWEET!!!!

Just glad I didn't have a blowout at 110 going through eastern Oregon on my way back from the dealer!

Thanks for all your help everyone!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I asked the same thing...they were nice michelin XGT's also....

I just happens they said, but both tires? Not really sure, I guess

·
Registered
54 Posts
I used to sell tires way back b4 ther were Legends. This is a little fuzzy but...

Radial tires are made of a number of different materials like the rubber, nylon or something similar and the steel belts. They are 'built' in layers and bonded together in the mold. Problem is that these materials will not really bond all that well under best of circumstances. If the machine does not stay totally in spec or the materials are a little off, you can have problems. Anyway, you end up with a tire thats not always perfect but they can't tell.

It's obviously a bigger problem with extended heat (high speed or air temp). Or look at retreads. In this area they are all over the road in pices all summer because the the treads come off. Under or over inflation also stress the tires. Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The belts are also splitting apart in my Nitto 555's and it makes the steering wheel shake like crazy. I am also in the market for new tires. I am glad you have found the problem and it was easy to repair.

Congrats on the new car!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
shahavchik said:
How much did you pay for your GS? I'm still searching for mine in Seattle area.
I ended up paying 17k for it, but it was so incredibly clean, not even a minor rock chip or anything to find, I coulnd't pass it up

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OH man, don't I wish! I couldn't wait any longer looking for a 6-speed, as badly as I wanted it. They did have a 1992 with 38,000 on it for about $3000 less WITH a 5-speed. But despite my strong desire for a manual, the GS just blew away the manual LS on my test drives. None of my friends can believe I ended up with an auto...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts