Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi just after some quick pointers to sort this little problem out :confused:

Just tried to start my 91 coupe, put the key in the ignition turned normally, everything was going normally, lights came on as the key progressed, then a little pop sound happend, and everything when dead...ie No electrical power at all :confused: Everything's dead..No lights, power doors, windows..ect..ect.. nothing!

Battery's fine, & I've just done a check of all the usual fuse suspects & there ok...I've changed the Main relay about 6 months ago & pulled out the compressor fan fuse a due to it still running after shut down...Apart from those changes, every thing is still the same & bog standard 91 coupe electrics.

Any advice and surgestions will be greatly apprechiated :bowdown:
 

· Will I ever reach 1000?!
Joined
·
896 Posts
hmmm damn, I was gunna say fuses but you say you have checked them. Not being rude, but you checked them all, yeah? Including the ones in the driver's side footwell?
Cool to see another uk member BTW
 

· I like shiny
Joined
·
14,445 Posts
Check how clean your battery connections are. This happened to me the other day. My main relay is relativly new, battery tested fine. My connections were dirty and just needed to be cleaned. Take an abrasive brush, maybe one that's made for batteries and their connections and clean things off-worked for me!!!
 
Joined
·
2,762 Posts
Some won't believe me (I was completely dumbfounded too), but I had those exact symptoms once on my Accord. I go out and pop the hood to find my battery had exploded. There was a dent coming out on my hood and the battery itself had part of it's top and side blown off. From what I've been told, any battery fumes that escape are extremely flamable and the spark generated buy my starter when I turned the key caused the explosion. Ironically enough, I was in the parking lot of Sears where I was already buying a replacement battery for our other car.
 

· I like shiny
Joined
·
14,445 Posts
Searchin4acoupe said:
Some won't believe me (I was completely dumbfounded too), but I had those exact symptoms once on my Accord. I go out and pop the hood to find my battery had exploded. There was a dent coming out on my hood and the battery itself had part of it's top and side blown off. From what I've been told, any battery fumes that escape are extremely flamable and the spark generated buy my starter when I turned the key caused the explosion. Ironically enough, I was in the parking lot of Sears where I was already buying a replacement battery for our other car.
Your right. I don't believe you. :p

Just kidding. I'm at the point now that when it comes to cars, I'll believe almost anything. LOL
 

· FIXER
Joined
·
1,720 Posts
If the voltage regulator fails and allows the alternator to overcharge the battery it will create hydrogen gas. The battery will swell and some of the fumes will escape at the battery caps. It will smell like boiled eggs. You probably had a slightly bad connection at the terminal and when you tuned the key it made a tiny spark and BOOM!!!!!!!!
NEVER! NEVER! jump/boost off another car when you smell boiled eggs................

Check your connections at the battery and also at the starter.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys!! :bowdown:

It was a problem on the +ve connecting lead to the battery....Everythings been cleaned up as well & it running like new!!!

Best of all it didn't cost me a penny.... I love this site !!!! :D
 

· Domesticated *******
Joined
·
1,679 Posts
Jetdoc said:
If the voltage regulator fails and allows the alternator to overcharge the battery it will create hydrogen gas. The battery will swell and some of the fumes will escape at the battery caps. It will smell like boiled eggs. You probably slightly bad connection at the terminal and when you tuned the key it made a tiny spark and BOOM!!!!!!!!
NEVER! NEVER! jump/boost off another car when you smell boiled eggs................

Check your connections at the battery and also at the starter.
Exactly.

I'm going to add to this.

We had one blow up in the shop a couple of months ago. It was a windy day and couldn't smell anything. It was on a Lexus LS400 and it blew all that plastic crap completly apart. Good thing nobody was standing near. It sounded like a gun going off.

Thats why they say to never jump your car with the cables directly connected to the battery. Always connect the ground cable last as well as on somthing other that the battery terminal itself.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top