Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
2,473 Posts
3-way setup in front:

LCY 108 Ribbon tweeters
1" Seas Lotus Reference tweeters (fabric)
6.5" Seas Lotus Reference midrange
6.5" Seas Lotus Performance midbass

No rear speakers

I switch off between the Seas tweeters and the LCY, depending on my mood :D

· VIP Premium Member
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Focal Utopias...NICE!

I have a question. I hooked up these Eclipse 6 x 9 that are rated at 75 W RMS. What 6.5" speaker would match up well with these Eclipses? Do I want front speakers with a higher RMS wattage or a lower one? I plan to run these speakers through my stock Bose for a while until I can afford a new HU/Amps etc. I know components are the way to go in terms of sound quality but can I get decent sound quality up front with a quality coaxial speaker? I mainly listen to classic rock, rock & roll, underground hip hop. I like a real LIVE type ambience to my music with warm, rich tones.

· 'hood Garage
3,177 Posts
Pioneers all around(6x9's, 6 3/4's, tweeters), plus an extra pair of
Eclipse 6 1/2's in the front. And 2 Pioneer Premier SPL subs with a 1000watt D-class amp per speaker.

· Call me Mister
707 Posts
VIP Legend said:
Focal Utopias...NICE!

I have a question. I hooked up these Eclipse 6 x 9 that are rated at 75 W RMS. What 6.5" speaker would match up well with these Eclipses? Do I want front speakers with a higher RMS wattage or a lower one? I plan to run these speakers through my stock Bose for a while until I can afford a new HU/Amps etc. I know components are the way to go in terms of sound quality but can I get decent sound quality up front with a quality coaxial speaker? I mainly listen to classic rock, rock & roll, underground hip hop. I like a real LIVE type ambience to my music with warm, rich tones.
Which model Legend do you have?

· Registered
2,038 Posts
i have all of my bose amps while the fronts are still bose, while the rear has bose amps to 760 watt 4 ch jvc amp.
while having 2 pioneer 6x9's and 2 infinity's...well the infinity's blew....

i kept my bose set-up because it gave the "live,concert sound"
but it needed some bass.
and thats where the pioneer/jvc comes in.

· Call me Mister
707 Posts
VIP Legend said:
The Eclipse Point source coaxials sound good for the cost, but they aren't nearly as efficient as the older ones, like these- http://cgi.ebay.com/NIB-Eclipse-SE8262-6-5-2-Way-Coaxial-Speaker-80W- Efficiency is a consideration when using deck power.
MB Quart has some nice coaxials, but some find them to be too bright.
Infinity Kappas are a decent budget coax as well.
A bit further up the cost ladder (approx. 200.00) the Boston SL65s are very good sounding but they are a bit thin on midbass.
If you want to spend more money and have a very good set to build your system on, The CDT Braxial sets are great. They are a componant set with a bridge that places the tweeter in front of the mid.

· know 'm ool
1,430 Posts
Fronts:
Diamond hex mids and crossover
Focal TN-51 tweets - i think that was the model #
on a memphis ST-300

they get loud, but honestly i'm not all impressed with them, and want to go w/ something else with a smoother response. when i have time to redo everything....

Rear:
some cheap pioneers or something that my friend gave me, that isn't even externally amped, so i can't even hear them, unless maybe i'm in the back seat for some reason

· Call me Mister
707 Posts
Osamu said:
Fronts:
Diamond hex mids and crossover
Focal TN-51 tweets -

they get loud, but honestly i'm not all impressed with them, and want to go w/ something else with a smoother response. when i have time to redo everything....
I think I've mentioned this before, but I feel the same way about the Hex's.
I had a set with the silk tweets, and the upper end was nice but I found the mids to be quite clacky.
After I took them out I put them up on eBay and noted in the auction details that I was unimpressed with them. They got tons of bids and sold at a high price- higher than the going rate for a good set of Boston Pros(!). The guy emailed me later about how happy he was with them.
I'm happy for both of us :)

· know 'm ool
1,430 Posts
yea, i'm still debating if i should switch away from my hex, cause i blew the silks that came w/ it (or my friend did while he was driving), hence the Focal tweets. And when i got it, one of the midbass was DOA, so i had to get that repaired and they inverted the dust cap, so now the two sides don't even match. so I doubt the resale on them would be worth anything by now, so i'm tempted just to keep them.

if i do change, i don't need anything too crazy, (like GSteg's seas lotus, that i wish i could afford), i'm just thinking along the lines of RE comps to match my RE8's, or just some cheap CDT's. but i'll probably wait to get a new car before i do all this anyways. good thing about audio is it can go in almost any car.

· Registered
459 Posts
Focal all around. I have the polykevlars. Two up front in kickpanels with 200wrms per side, back are same with only 125wrms per channel. They get real loud and sound really clear with midbass that you can feel in your chest. That's probably cause of the front enclosures and plenty of power. Bass comes from 2 Treo SS15's ported in 6.5 cubes tuned to 40Hz.

Best advice is to listen to as many speakers as possible in the same day. You'll know what you want.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.