Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
-Aww Dip-
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hall school board approves more student drug testing | AccessNorthGa

"GAINESVILLE - Hall County school board members Monday night voted to take student drug testing to the next level - testing students who drive to school.

With the revenue from parking permits and new testing technology available, School Superintendent Will Schofield recommended a community meeting, then implementation.

"After that community meeting, we would adopt a policy and procedure for testing high school drivers randomly that come to our campuses," Schofield said.

Schofield said the message is there is no Hall County school where drugs are welcome.

"There's some new surface testing technology that lets us test everything from keyboards to steering wheels to football helmets that allows us to pick up even minute traces of drugs that are in students' systems," Schofield said.

Board member Nath Morris added the testing is not meant as punishment; it's meant as a deterrent."

I would be surprised if nobody took this to court. How is this legal? Is that not invasion of privacy/unwarranted search of private property? Or is this legal because the school is county property and students waive their right to privacy?

Also, what the hell is this new surface testing??

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I'm guessing the ACLU will be all over this one... I've never heard of surface testing technology. I imagine it would be difficult to punish anyone if you sampled a keyboard just due to the number of individuals that would come into contact with said keyboard. And as long as the drivers are parking on school grounds, they're susceptible to random searches. Thats why we always parked off school grounds, literally on the street next to the school, but still in the public domain.

If they were adopting that policy for the students, I'd expect and demand that they do the same for the faculty as well. I'd also expect they'd publish the results of their findings to determine if the revenue expenditure was even remotely worth what they're putting into it. It never is...

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
New Jersey v. TLO (469 US 325) In this landmark 1985 case, the Court articulated that the special needs exception makes the warrant and probable cause requirements of the Fourth Amendment unnecessary "in those exceptional circumstances in which special needs, beyond the normal need for law enforcement, make it impracticable."

This exception was upheld in the 1995 Supreme Court case of Vernonia School District 47J v. Acton.

The 7th Circuit Court in the Todd v. Rush County Schools relied on these cases to make their decision.

I expect the same result here.

·
Mr. X (aka #5)
4,591 Posts
I think it's good.

For people like me who abstain, it makes it that much better environment with more drug enforcement at schools.
im with you, i thought we had a pro-drugfree environment..i guess not. i guess everyone wants everyone doing drugs.

people who are "against" this, if you had a son who was getting high and failing, how do you feel now?

and anything on the school property is now public and doesnt require a warrant to search. if you drive your car to school and have a lb of weed in the trunk, they can search your car with minimal probable cause and bust you for it.

·
-Aww Dip-
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pro-drug free environments are one thing, invasion of private property is another. Trust me, I am all for regulation of drug usage, but not like this. It just boggles my mind that our government has the right to do something like that.

IkeRay: You ask how I would feel if I had a son who was getting high and failing? I am far from encountering this problem, but I know I would handle this by talking with my son instead of having my school system bust him from testing his car steering wheel. My son failing from drugs is not up to the school system to control, it is up to my son and I.

I don't know anything about this "surface testing" drug test. If it were to test recent drug activity (say, within the past 4 hours), that is one thing...You are right, we probably do not need kids going to school high. But what you do at home is your business.

·
Mr. X (aka #5)
4,591 Posts
^^ absolutely not, if its illegal, it doesnt matter WHERE you do it unless its outside of where its illegal. like smoking weed is illegal in the united states, no matter where you are, but if you were in international waters, or austria, then have at it. thats like saying its ok to speed if no cops are around, its still breaking the law, you are just not being caught.

if it takes catching you at school (like i said public domain) to get you busted for drug use, so be it, dont do drugs and you wont have this problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.