• Use money to fix current Legend

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Keep money and sell current Legend for a newer Legend

Votes: 7 87.5%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
is the car driveable? is it near totalled?

before i take 2600.00 from any insurance company, id get my own shop to estimate repairs. find a reputable body shop that uses oem parts. tow it if you cant drive it.

tip: avoid those places that have the 'special' 200.00 paint jobs.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the car is driveable, but the wheelwell is cracked and it needs a new bumper and it feels like it rides funny. It was at the shop when they estimated that much damage. I know the shop is reputable because they fixed the car for me before. I had just got all bodywork and the whole car painted in in April.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The most important question you need to answer before moving on with a decision....

Do you have an automatic or a 5 speed?

If you have an automatic then dump the car dude.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Totally depends on wether you like your car a lot or not. If you like everything that you've put into your car and you are satisfied with it(minus damages) then I would keep it. If you would rather have something a lil different or newer I would sell it. I've faced this question before on this car and my previous car. On my previous car I dumped it. Then I got my Legend. I ahve been happy with it even though I had to replace many things- whole AC system, CV boot, pads, gaskets, hoses, ABS. Though I had to spend about as much on my Legend as I would have to on my previous car I am much happier with my Legend.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I do like the car a lot, but this is the second time I was rear ended
I just thought I may be better off getting a G2 and starting over.I put $1500 out of my pocket for the damage from the first hit and last week I put about $500 into it changing the water pump, timing belt, fan motor,and the switch for the fan. I think I'm just frustrated :( and confused :confused:

·
Registered
602 Posts
G2s are nice but they are big step from a G1. To find a G2 coupe it will be a lot more than a G1. Id save up and get something you like if ya go that way.

·
Registered
133 Posts
You probably wont get much if you sell your legend the way it is right now or if you part it out.
So you are gonna have to figure out the difference of what you will owe if you take that 2600.00 and get something different.

Consider this too: youre gonna spend at least 5k-6k on top of that 2600.00 to move up to a G-2 and thats about 8600.00 bux. you also have to factor in potential repairs needed on this newer used car.

What do you think guys? A G-1 in damn good shape is anywhere from 5-6k? You might be better off going with another G-1.

how good of shape is was your legend in mechanically before the accident?

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was in excellent mechanical shape. The body shop said they can fix it for me and I won't have to spend all that money on it so I may let them fix it and save the rest of the money towards a fuure G2. That way I can still ride around in my G1.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Fix it.

You in Brooklyn? Parts galoure in your area.
you know the places to find emm.
I am in Long island and I know the place to find them.

Or buy a car like yours for parts. or use yours for parts etc.

sell your parts off and use money for newer one.

·
Registered
133 Posts
at this point its judgment call bro'. if you really like it then keep it.
looks like your two big risks are:

1. keep it: car might never be the same after the wreck. you wont really know until after its repaired.
2. potential huge repairs on a different car if you go that route.

ive kept an old 70's T-bird for years just because i love the darn thing and most people tell me i should just sell it. its never been in a wreck, though. its just a big floater, its in great shape mechanically and the interior is restored. thats more of a hobby car tho'.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
IT'S OFFICIAL

I spoke wth the guy's insurance company today and they told me $2600 is too much damage, so they are going to consider it totalled. They just have to talk to the guy because he hasn't reported it yet (and the accident was June 5!!!!!)
Anyway the lady said once they send me a check(I don't know the amount yet) I could do what I want with the car, I was suprised because I didn't know they would tell you that.

I hope they don't try to jerk me!!!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'd watch out when an insurer claims its totaled, especially if its the other guys insurance company. It might be worth having an independent appraiser value your car.
Make especially sure that you let them know you plan on keeping the car so they dont sell it off to a yard. If you get a check and don't mention you want to keep the car you might have a hard time getting it back.

this is a good link
on totaled cars and what to do

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow!!

Thanks for the info :cool:

They didn't mention taking my car, and she said I could do what I want with it once they decide how much to pay out. I am going to call again just to be sure and I will definitely tell them that I want to keep the car. The car was in excellent condition before it was hit. Do you think pics of the car before would help?

·
Registered
133 Posts
i hope you looked over that link i posted...it should be a big help.

2600.00 for a total seems like a low ball figure to me, but then im not sure what your year/model/options sell for or what the fair market value is. but they are essentially saying that your car isnt worth more than 2600.00. youve gotta ask yourself, "am i gonna be able to get another legend in as good as shape [pre wreck] for 2600.00? you might want to include in/all receipts you've kept for major repairs on the vehicle.

i guarantee an independent appraiser would give you a better figure of what the car is worth and this could be used as a negotiating tool.

its kinda late now, but for future stuff get your car appraised every 12 months and especially when major [paint jobs, aftermarket stuff] repairs/improvements are done. i had mine done this past May and sent in the paperwork to my insurance company.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.