Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

What do you guys wash your cars with? I use two sponges (big and little) and some special car soap (not dish soap). Makes my G1 look sweet.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Some car soap, soft spongue, and some towels. Even more important is waxing which I haven't done yet on my 94, but I should! I used TurtleWax on my 90L Coupe quite a bit, seems okay. Paint isn't all that though, clear coat falling off in some areas.

·
Registered
541 Posts
peanut shaped sponge and a longer brush. I use Turtle Wax Car soap and some regular beach towels full of lint. For wax, i use that cheap Turtle wax which leaves too many swirl marks..switching to Zymol soon.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wax

Oh yah, I forgot to say what wax I use. I use Meguiar's Cleaner Wax. It gives me kind of a wet look without being too "wet." Very nice shine.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I've been detailing cars as a side job for about two years now and have gotten to know quite a few secrets from some pros. Waxes like Turtle Wax and Cleaner waxes are good for quick jobs, but the problem is they last less than a month. Some will only last until the next car wash. I use either Zaino or Klasse on my Legend and I get stares and compliments all the time on how shiny it is. They both cost about $20 a bottle, but are well worth it and last about 6 months or more.

As for washing, I use Meguiars Gold Class (about the only stuff I will buy at an auto parts store for detailing) and a cotton chenille mitt. It really keeps the scratching and swirling down.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Where can i find Zaino brothers stuff? i couldnt find it at Kragen. Also, is the brand Kit good? the stuff in the yellow bottle that says its all Caranuba wax?

·
Registered
270 Posts
I use 2 wash mitts and the McGuires car wash to wash the car then I wax... I use the swirl remover and cutting polishes as needed then move up the line to the Yellow Carnuba wax... Put on with terrycloth, removed with microfibre cloths... Works great for me !!
I also use the California Gold duster to remove fine dust...

I heard that the silicone in the cheaper waxes will mess up your paint if and when you get the car re-painted... Just what I'm told, don't know from experience...

·
Registered
293 Posts
Any brand of car wash concentrate, wash mitt, and then followup with Mequirers ## 7 and 27 as I recall. They are the a polish and wax - remember these are not the same thing.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I buy the car wash soap from Pep Boys and I use sponges to wash and towelsto dry. To wax my car I use this Perma Seal stuff I buy from the Auto show I think theyselll it on T.V. too the stuff works good and lasts a long time. I get a lot of stres and compliments even though my car needs some bodywork.

·
Hatin the rain already
599 Posts
I use Mother's California Gold car wash and it seems to be pretty good. For polish I use the Meguires 3 step although I don't always have time to do all 3 so I just do step 2 because it is the polish with the best quick results. I might change to a higher quality wax like zaino or something after reading some of the results of others.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, I wanna see!

Dang, with some of the ways you guys wash your cars I'd like to see them when they've just been done. Do they burn your retinas when you look at them?:D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Zaino is the best! I have used lots of stuff, 3M, McGuairs Professional, Zymol, Mothers, etc.... Zaino is by far the best of them. I used Z1, Z2, Z5, Z6 in addition to clay.

I used Mcguairs Gold Class wash like another on the board. I use sheep wool mits to wash and cotton towels to dry. I like to buy really ugly ones at Macy's that are on clearance.... got a bunch of Tommy Hilfiger towels for a buck each, for that price who gives a crap what color they are :)

I would say that $20 a bottle is a bit high for Zaino, but you do have to buy at least 2 bottles which are at least $12 each.

I use it on the Legend and the X and feel that it is best stuff out there at the moment.... and that is comparing it to the $80 a tub Zymol NSX wax!!!!

Good Luck

·
Registered
541 Posts
im kind of skeptical about Zaino. I dont even see a pic of their products..and wax that doesnt leave oily residue, doesnt leave haze, doesnt leave swirl marks, doesn't leave white powder, doenst have Caranuba wax...i mean. if it doesnt leave all that stuff...then what is it made of?! super goop?!
I thought all waxes left at least some swirl marks, oily residue and have caranuba wax. i thought that was a good thing.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
AcuraGuy said:
im kind of skeptical about Zaino. I dont even see a pic of their products..and wax that doesnt leave oily residue, doesnt leave haze, doesnt leave swirl marks, doesn't leave white powder, doenst have Caranuba wax...i mean. if it doesnt leave all that stuff...then what is it made of?! super goop?!
I thought all waxes left at least some swirl marks, oily residue and have caranuba wax. i thought that was a good thing.
If you are skeptical about Zaino, I suggest you go ask someone from acura-cl.com, or acura-tl.com.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts