Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my friend are having an argument about this...

he drives a 2001 maxima and always complains of how fast his gas goes down. i told him if he has overdrive to turn it off b/c it uses gas twice as fast. he says that it should always be on simply because 'a little light comes on telling me that i've turned overdrive off' and therefore must be bad for the car.

i've always thought that overdrive was a option you turn on only when carrying heavy loads or when you want to get rid of the gas quicker. wouldn't turning it off conserve gas for normal driving?

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but your friend is right. Overdrive does save gas. It's like having an extra gear to keep RPM's down when cruiseing. So it should be ON.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
whats the point of turning it off then?

·
88 sleeper
1,159 Posts
rquest77 said:
whats the point of turning it off then?
Over drive is meant to slow engine speed when traveling @ a constant.
Rough example...
driving 100 miles on a flat surface. OD off will keep the engine turning @ a higher RPM. consequently Gas milage drops. OD on drops the RPM so you're conserving gas.

OD off will accellerate better/faster than it will with it on.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Ricdogg is exactly right.

Basically if you're cruising on the HWY, turn it on. It will drop your RPMs by about 1k. My old 93 Maxima with od on can do 80mph at 2200rpms. My legend is at 3000rpms for 80mph. So it will save gas when it's on.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the legend doesn't have an overdrive button to turn off or turn on...does it? i've never noticed one anywhere. i do know that some cars come with them permanetnly on, is the legend one of them?

·
Registered
847 Posts
our 4th gear is the overdrive:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts