Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I just bought a 93 Legend with 260,000 miles on it. It runs great but the guy I bought the car from didn't keep fluid in the car and i've had to keep up with that since I got it. And I was wondering what I should do to the car in order to keep it running like it was new here is a list of the things that i've gotten so far for the car to do to it...

5 quarts/bottles of Mobil 1 Synthetic Motor Oil
Oil Filter
Air Filter
PCV valve
Lube Guard (in the black bottle) ~for the Tranny Flush
2 quarts/bottles of Dextron III fluid ~I think I need 5 more quarts of this ~for the Tranny Flush
NGK Spark Plugs
Seafoam ~for the Injector Cleaning

What I know I need

4 quarts of "F" Type Tranny Fluid (If anybody know what kind of "F" Type fluid I need that would help a lot, The car didn't come with the manual.) ~for the Tranny Flush

4 quarts of Gunuine Honda Fluid (If anybody know what kind of GHF fluid I need that would help a lot) ~for the Tranny Flush

90W Gear Oil ~for the Differential Fluid Change

So if anybody can help and tell me what i'm missing from the list or give suggestions on what else I would need to do I would appreciate.
And Thanks in Advance

· Registered
264 Posts
First of all I would not have bought such a high mileage car. Unless it was so damn cheap.

Change:
WP, TB, Trany filter, spark plugs, get it to a shop to do a complete test:leak down, compression, hydrocarbons, radiator, etc.

· Registered
4,439 Posts
5 quarts/bottles of Mobil 1 Synthetic Motor Oil

Cant recommend a synthetic in a not-well-maintained car with 260k!

Timing Belt
Water Pump

Oil Filter - Honda OEM
Air Filter
Cabin Filter
PCV valve
NGK Spark Plugs
90W Gear Oil
4 Quarts Honda ATF-Z1
Drain and refill brake fluid
Inspect radiator hoses
Inspect radiator for leaks
Check coolant level
Check power steering fluid

· Registered
4,439 Posts
Axman said:
I wouldnt go changing the tranny fluid at 260K. If it wasnt done before you'll end up doing more harm than good.
That would be true for a *flush*. He is talking about a drain/refill. There is nothing wrong with a drain/refill. It is standard maintenance.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Tranny fluid has been changes like twice but i'm doing it to in sure that I know how long I have and that i've done it.

The prior maintance on the car has been pretty good. Its just that when I got the car (for dirt cheap should I say) the guy that had it didn't put fluids in it before he left (for the military) so I had to do it myself (Which I was going to do anyway)

Timing Belt ~Thanks for this sugguestion I will have to check it/replace it if needed
Water Pump ~Thanks for this sugguestion I will have to check it/replace it if needed

Oil Filter - Honda OEM (Don't know the difference but I got a Fram Filter will that do?)

Cabin Filter ~Never heard of a Cabin Filter, Where is this located and how would I go about changing this?

90W Gear Oil ~Can't seem to find anybody that sells straight 90 weight (Advanced near me doesn't sell it, Auto Zone doesn't either, Any Sugguestion on where I can get some?)

4 Quarts Honda ATF-Z1 ~Thanks for this information I needed that, Is the Honda Stealership the only place I can pick this up at or can I get it from any Autoparts store?

Drain and refill brake fluid ~this has been done I think when I got the brakes/pads etc replaced.

Inspect radiator hoses ~Thanks for this information I needed that, I will check anyway since there was a new Radiator placed in before I bought it

Inspect radiator for leaks ~This doesn't have to be done since before I bought the car he had a new Radiator placed in

Check coolant level ~Thanks for this information I needed that

Check power steering fluid ~Thanks for this information I needed that

· Registered
4,439 Posts
Timing Belt ~Thanks for this sugguestion I will have to check it/replace it if needed
Water Pump ~Thanks for this sugguestion I will have to check it/replace it if needed

These will be *necessary* to do at 270K, providing they were done at 90k and at 180k. If not, it is essential that they are done now.

Oil Filter - Honda OEM (Don't know the difference but I got a Fram Filter will that do?)

NO! Oem filter only or a high quality filter. FRAM is crap.

Cabin Filter ~Never heard of a Cabin Filter, Where is this located and how would I go about changing this?

Its behind the glovebox. You remove the courtesy light, then the glovebox. Filter slides out. There are DIYs in the DIY section.

4 Quarts Honda ATF-Z1 ~Thanks for this information I needed that, Is the Honda Stealership the only place I can pick this up at or can I get it from any Autoparts store?

$12 at Honda/Acura or less. Not sold elsewhere. Remember to get the drain washer also as that should be replaced.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kewl thanks guys I need that information but I had a typo on the thread as well I meant to mention that the OD say 260,000+ but the engine he put in it before I bought it has 60,000+ on it if that makes any difference

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.