Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up. My head gasket is blown and I am considering my options now. I would like to do a motor swap at this time. I am considering a Type S engine and manual conversion. Has anyone ever done this successfully or attempted it? I heard that the 97-98 3.2 TL engine is a direct fitment according to a Honda technician. What about the 3.5 RL engine?

· Registered
9,369 Posts
LEGzecutive said:
Whats up. My head gasket is blown and I am considering my options now. I would like to do a motor swap at this time. I am considering a Type S engine and manual conversion. Has anyone ever done this successfully or attempted it? I heard that the 97-98 3.2 TL engine is a direct fitment according to a Honda technician. What about the 3.5 RL engine?
Try out that search button!

No one has ever done an engine swap in a G2 Legend. Dv8 has built a frankensteing motor with a c35(RL motor) block and C32(G2 Legend) heads. That project alone has taken a few years and plenty of work and cash. The early TL3.2 is the exact same engine as the Legend. I believe that is also true for the early CL.
Later!
Lee

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i tried searching but no results with the type s. I saw the C35/32 engine. So the 98 TL has the exact same C32 or is that the C32a

· Life Ruiner
4,868 Posts
LS92Sedan said:
I retract about the first gen TL, it is the same C32 from the Legend, the 2nd gen TL is in fact the J32A1 which is transverse, dont think a C32 from a 1st gen TL has been put in a Legend but I know that a C32 from a Legend was swapped in to a TL, there are obvious changes to the ECM and wiring, not sure about the trans, might wanna ask someone with a lil more background than me.
the First gen TL has a c32 variant, with some work im sure it can be swaped into the Legend. Same goes for the RL c35. The best is a combo swap of the engines, its more work and requires custom items but as ive done it, i know it works and can be done.

If you looking for a good simple swap, go with a USDM TYPE II.

~TRu Hybrid

· Domesticated *******
1,679 Posts
A JDM Type II swap is just as easy as a USDM Type II. All you do is switch over the USDM wiring harness and it is all bolt up from that point. I've done it and it only adds about 2 hours to the labor.

Swapping a Type II into a Type I car is a little more difficult as you need to do some research w/ a vaccum diagram to find all of the PAIR (pulsed air injection) lines and remove them.

Both are pretty much bolt up w/o any fabrication.

· Life Ruiner
4,868 Posts
Rumnarv said:
A JDM Type II swap is just as easy as a USDM Type II. All you do is switch over the USDM wiring harness and it is all bolt up from that point. I've done it and it only adds about 2 hours to the labor.

Swapping a Type II into a Type I car is a little more difficult as you need to do some research w/ a vaccum diagram to find all of the PAIR (pulsed air injection) lines and remove them.

Both are pretty much bolt up w/o any fabrication.
If people attempting to do a TYPE II swap need to understand what to do with the vaccum lines they can search here or go to my website under projects. all the diagrams are listed in the "TYPE II swap" page.

Anyone getting their hands on any of these engines even low mileage ones, should be expected to swap timming belt,WP,Tensioner, front and rear main seal along with all HG and the rest of the gaskets for the topend. Regardless if its an engine with 130k+ it is still more than likley to last for at least another 75+k miles. REmeber the only real problem with these engines is the gaskets, mechanically they would proably last past 500k-trans 250+k.

~TRu Hybrid

· Fre OG
1,258 Posts
wont work engines are different latitude and longitude, ours are | cl is --
So the tranny would not work

· dealer-opted track pack
3,469 Posts
plzbelieviet said:
has anyone ever herd of a cl type s six speed swap done before and if you did do you know how much it would cost?
Forget the CL-S motor! Swap in a NSX motor. It bolts right up.

· Fre OG
1,258 Posts
plzbelieviet said:
has anyone ever herd of a cl type s six speed swap done before and if you did do you know how much it would cost?
Did you mean engine or tranny?

Either wont work, but its teh six speed part that made me think u were talking swapping trannys

· Registered
995 Posts
With enough work and creativity, one could probably stuff an NSX motor and drive train in a KA chassis. The person doing the swap would probably have to love the Legend badge more than anything to even try to tackle this however.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.