Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok what exactly does a torque converter do? I have read that it can double a vahicle's torque output, now this seems a little ridiculous, I mean 240 ft lbs of torque!? that would be nice but it just seems unrealistic to me

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
All automatic cars have a torque converter. What a torque converter is is a fluid coupling between the engine and transmission. It works like a turbine almost. It allows the engine to turn while the transmission is engaged without actually stressing the transmission. This is what allows you to come to a complete stop while still in gear.

A torque converter can not give you more torque, only take torque away. A fluid connection has much more power loss then a solid connection (like the clutch in a manual) which is why you hear the term ":lock-up" torque converters. Those lock up making a solid connection to the engine and tranny usually in the gear where tranny and engine are matching RPMS, which is 3rd gear in a legend. Every other gear the engine and tranny are almost always spinning at different speeds.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok I wrote pro torque and they said the stall speed of the converter they want to sell to me is 300-800 higher then stock, what does this mean?

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
All torque converters have a stall speed. It's a limit where they won;t allow the engine to rev any higher. If you hold the brake down and rev your engine you will be able to acheive around 1800RPM. With a high-stall torque converter you can rev as high as 3000RPM. What this does is allow you to obtain or get closer to your torque and horsepower peaks during launch for much better off-the-line performance.

If you get a high-stall torque converter I also recommend a tranny cooler as power braking like that heats up your tranny fluid real fast. I didn't have a tranny cooler at first and after some hard driving I actually saw steam wafting up out of the overflow tube from the tranny.

·
Qualified Driver
1,578 Posts
Does anyone know where the Torque converter clutch electrical connection is located ?
Cause my girls 97 accord chk eng light is on and diag is torque converter clutch electrical connection? anyone have any idea, any input would be greatly appreciated:)

·
EDM Honda Legend Coupe
4,471 Posts
One of the best site ever is How Stuff Works [Tranny]. Click this link and you see the whole tranny explanation incl the small animation that shows how all of the parts are hooked up in a transmission. A excellent site. You should try this!!! -Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts