Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a question guys.....i just put a homemade intake on today. (I will post some pics later) Anyhow, on the throttle cable, there is a screw that u can turn. I don't know exactly what it does....at least i'm not sure. I accidentally turned it but i don't know what it does. can any1 explain it to me? if noone knows what i'm talkin about, i'll try and post a pic of it. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Do you mean the two 12mm nuts on the cable? if so those are used to adjust the throttle cable free play. you want about 10 to 12mm play .just make sure there is some play so it can close all the way but at full throttle the throttle body should be open all the way.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, how do i know that there is 10-12 mm of play? sorry if this questions seems stupid. what are the effects of it being off?

·
Registered
583 Posts
It would help if you could post a pic.
Is it actually the throttle cable? or the cable going from your throttle body down to the auto trans? (assuming auto)
If it's the latter and it's not set right it will feel like your trans is slipping when you drive. Been there and did it when I did my CAI.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
u know what, u need to copy and paste that link in order for it to work, i don't know why. but that should work.

·
Hatin the rain already
599 Posts
PLEASE ELABORATE ON THE AFFECT THIS ADJUSTMENT HAS ON THE TRANSMISSION SLIP FEELING? I think this may be why when I pull up to a stop and then start to go again that it feels like its starting out in second and only when I push the pedal all the way down does it downshift to first and then take off?? I would be so happy to be rid of this annoyance. Thanks bukowski

Your going to have to cut and paste the URL

http://www.geocities.com/kaastro/intake_weapon_r4

·
Registered
583 Posts
Ok, now we're talkin...

It is actually the cable that goes to the trans. When I put my bigast K&N on, I just removed the bracket (in my hand) and zip tied the cable to the other cable sheath (see arrows) and to the bracket behind the battery (3rd arrow) and all has shifted and worked well for over two months now.

That slipping feeling is exactly what happens. When you mounted the intake did you have to pull up on the cable, or bend it out of the way in any form? I did at first and after minutes and minutes, I decided I needed to dump the bracket. Did the zip tie trick and it works like a charm. Gonna make a dual hose bracket to hold it better soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
there's just one problem that i have. I got rid of that bracket behind tha battery. I don't understand what the slipping is a result of though? bending the wire? Cuz i know i definitely moved the wires out of the way, but i didn't know it would do what it did. In terms of that nut on the throttle cable, does it have anything to do with it too? thanks Bukowski for ur help again.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I just backed my nuts off :)D )enough to get it off the bracket...
The slipping is due to the length of the cable. Put it about where the stock location is and Zip the [email protected] out of it. I found I could have almost a half inch either way and it would still shift ok, but the closer you get it to stock, the better it will work. Just hold up the bracket and eyeball it.
If you pulled the brkt behind the battery, no big deal, just put a brace of some type in there to help hold the cable. It's not under a huge moving load so it won't take much.
Good luck with it,
Buk

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so pretty much.....i want to pull the cable away from the tranny towards the throttle and make it as tight as possible? I was messin around with that nut today, lol, and i found that if i moved it towards the end of that bracket it was mounted on and tightened it, it helped get rid of alot of that slipping feeling. So in a sense i think it's the same thing u're sayin, to make it tighter. Am i understanding u correctly?

·
Registered
583 Posts
I think we're pretty much on the same page. not sure how tight, just not flopping around. and dont crimp it up, just make the cable housing firm against whatever you zip it to, so the cable will slide in the housing and not drag a lot.
Should get you fixed up...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts