Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I notice when my car was in service that my power steering fluid in the reservior is over the required level and I mean over. The power steering fluid is touching the actual red cap. Could this be the issue why my steering feels so lose? If not what issues could a over flow of power steering fluid cause?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Prolly blow a seal or hose! Either way it will leak!:(
Plus, make sure if they top it off for you that they use nothing but Honda Power steering fluid cuz if they use anything else it will ruin the seals and cause leaks. I'm in B-more too, btw.

·
Banned
2,475 Posts
Plus, make sure if they top it off for you that they use nothing but Honda Power steering fluid cuz if they use anything else it will ruin the seals and cause leaks. I'm in B-more too, btw.
I'll bs...honda power steering isn't magical...it won't cure AIDS...power steering fluid is power steering fluid

·
Dont Catch
4,530 Posts
I'll bs...honda power steering isn't magical...it won't cure AIDS...power steering fluid is power steering fluid
cheap out now.... pay later...

but heres the catch you'll end up paying for the minimum.. a new pump..

theres info about it everywhere... even on the back of the bottles for the regular power steering flud... "DO NOT USE ON HONDA/ACURA VEHICLES"

if that doesnt tell you something i dont know what will...

the fluid itself is totally different than regular power steering.. aka ATF

different viscosity... has additives... etc.

basically its like putting DOT 5 in your car. hey its just brake fluid right?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Hold everything. Nobody move. This is spinning out of control. The reservoir for your power steering system is actually in the middle of the system. It holds fluid that is returning from the gear that is waiting to get circulated back to the pump. The pump and releif valve control the pressure, not the amount of fluid in the reservoir. That reservoir could hold a gallon and the system would not know it. The only problem you are going to have is overflow.

As to power steering fluid the Honda fluid is specified. It has been that way since mom & dad bought their first Accord in 1977. Honda has some special ad pack in the fluid specific to their pumps. Just use the Honda fluid and change it every couple of years. If you look on generic power steering fluid bottles they will specifically say not for Honda vehicles.

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.