Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
One Meeelion HP
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kids, don't take that plastic liner for granted! Water, moisture and salt from the roads will find its way to your electrical connections and fuse box and cause corrosion eventually leading to weird electrical gremlins and possible fire hazard. I've seen connectors completely melted from corrosive effect causing quite a fire hazard.

I found this corroded connector on my car under the driver's side foot rest while diagnosing a problem with the brake lights. I drove through 2 new england winters without a driver's side fender liner :hide:

-Matt

·
One Meeelion HP
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that white stuff is called dielectric grease. it protects the electrical connections from corrosion.
Nope, that is not grease my friend, its very corroded. The buildup is a powder from a chemical reaction, similar to what you see built up on neglected battery terminals. Unfortunetly, Honda didn't use grease on the connectors inside the car - especially considering its prone location. I will be using dielectric grease on the new connector after the repair is made.

·
Banned
14,938 Posts
similar thing happend too me. i had my driverside fender liner off. and drove the car thru alot of snow (a few years ago) and the snow packed insdie the wheel well, and got thru the rubber gramet into the back of the cabin fuse box, ended up frying the whole fuse box.

·
Outta GT
395 Posts
Kids, don't take that plastic liner for granted! Water, moisture and salt from the roads will find its way to your electrical connections and fuse box and cause corrosion eventually leading to weird electrical gremlins and possible fire hazard. I've seen connectors completely melted from corrosive effect causing quite a fire hazard.

I found this corroded connector on my car under the driver's side foot rest while diagnosing a problem with the brake lights. I drove through 2 new england winters without a driver's side fender liner :hide:

-Matt
Damnn. My L is missing it's driver's side liner and the slash guard underneath. Glad it didn't get to that stage! That looks crucial.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I can concur with this. I realized after all the questions on this site bout my CEL and no answers to resolve it.... I have no passenger fender liner, the CEL pops on and off when I drive through snow/rain, so its messing with my wiring. The short kept shorting out my Igniter Module (whatever its called) and continuously same code 15. Dust/sand/dirt/leaves ect. all in my engine bay on pass side and on the wires that run from the engine through the wheel well into the passenger foot area. I NEED ONE BAD.

Ro

·
One Meeelion HP
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Damnn. My L is missing it's driver's side liner and the slash guard underneath. Glad it didn't get to that stage! That looks crucial.
Yes, I thank God that I am able to repair this myself. I feel sorry for the poor soul that would have to pay an electrical shop to fix this - probably looking at $400-500.

-Matt

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.