Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been looking through some posts and i hear some people talking about 'brake torquing'. i assume it's holding down the brake while you accelerate and then releasing it at a certain point? if somebody could explain this to me please, id like to get some better launches (i have an auto tranny)

·
Blk/BlkGS6
1,755 Posts
i have a 94 sedan with type I auto and when i try it, (hold down the brake and rev the engine.......it revs to about 2000 rpm......then let go of the brake while still flooring it) my car seems to get slower launches................the car seems to rev up slower then normal after releasing the brake............when i just floor it w/o brake torquing i usually get just a bit of wheelspin or at least my tires chirp..........with brake torquing i dont get either and it really seems to rev and move thru 1st gear alot slower then normal.................what am i doing wrong?

·
I'van der Rohe
12,824 Posts
Question one: What Is Torque Braking Or Brake Torquing: the accelerator to rev the engine to a better launching rpm. if done correctly it should provide a quick launch with and nice pull.

Question 2: is this bad for the tranny? eventually yes. though not if done on a seldom schedule. this can cause unde stress on the transaxle. if not done regularly it will not decrase the life of the trans to low.

One can "Torque" this incorrectly by releasing the brake to slowly. another, not holding the gas in the right spot before launch. Gas placement should be where it has enough travel when you launch to still give full throttle later. give an extra 1-2 inches before WOT. this is to be able to let the engine pull a little harder after its been "Torque'd". apply full throttle after 2000rpm.

Hopefully this has helped you and good luck with trying it nut be careful as it will, if done on a regular basis will deteriorate trans life.

one...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts