Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, the timing belt was replaced at 90k miles and I have 140k now (but it was replaced like six years ago).

Last night, accelerating in 4th; suddenly a "belt slipping" type of loud squeaky sound erupts, then resolves. As this is happening, engine hesitates very briefly and I continue normally, with normal engine power.

This morning on my way to work, everything feels and sounds normal. FIfteen miles into my 20-mile commute, same thing happens. After the 5- to 10-second event, all seems normal and I sit at work now.

If this is not my timing belt, what might it be?

If the problem is my timing belt, am I a goner?

·
Hatin the rain already
599 Posts
It couldnt possibly be your timing belt because if the timing belt slips even one "notch" your engine will not run. It is set up kinda like a gear drive belt that has these notches that connect to the gear on your cam and driveshaft. If that is slipped even a little bit all timing will be out of sync and your car will not run. you would also probably have some valves hitting cylinder heads. THIS DID NOT HAPPEN TO YOU. It could be something in the transmission or check the tension and wear on your regular serpentine belts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
whew!

Gotcha. Sigh of relief.

My car is due for the timing belt service and quite a bit more, so I'll have my mech take a look. I'm going to put about $2,000 into her in the next few months. No more delays!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Wow! What are you planning on doing that will cost $2000?

IMHO, if it was my car, it would be for sale - I couldn't put $2000 into a car worth at best $4000.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
$

I could sell it for $4000 and spend $6000 on another pretty sweet used car, but I'd still be buying whatever problems that car had and I'd have to spend even more.

The thing is, this car is in wonderful shape. I shop for parts online and my expert mechanic hooks me up for $50 an hour. Once I do the following, I'm planning on having a classy old-school ride until I can afford maybe a 2007 BMW M6!

Planned maintenance/repairs:

1. Timing/alternator/compressor belts
Replace water pump
Cam and crank front seals
Oil change/oil & air filters

2. Replace radiator hoses/flush

3. Valve & side cover gaskets
Rear cam end plug

4. Replace front drive axles
Replace lower ball joints
Brake master cylinder
Brake pads/shims/shoes
Rotors?
Bleed ALB
ALB accumulator (need to replace if bleed doesn't work)
New tires
Alignment

5. A/C diagnosis / recharge
A/C compressor/coil/clutch if necessary (must have A/C in Florida!)

Good times,

·
Registered
293 Posts
If you want to save some $$, you can do the hoses and flush, oil change, rear cam end plug and brake work. Of course, when you are spending $2000, what's a few hundred dollars?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If only

. . . thanks for the suggestions, but I'm a little challenged when it comes to these things. I'm sure I could do some of the maintenance myself, but I would need an experienced friend or family member around for motivation and reassurance. Unfortunately, I don't have that.

Time's a little short too, as I am getting married in a couple of months and I am addicted to PS2. ; 7 )

I totally trust my mechanic. I'm having all the work done with OEM equipment or better; the same work at the dealer would run very close to $5000!

In the end, you're right - if money was more of an issue, I would be more inclined to DIY. Since it's paid for, a couple hundred either way isn't critical (you can tell I don't own a house or have a child yet).

Meanwhile, my fiancee spends $560 a month paying off her new Passat. She'll probably help pay for my repairs too - she's sweet (and employed) that way.

Cheers!

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Re: If only

shakyg said:

Meanwhile, my fiancee spends $560 a month paying off her new Passat. She'll probably help pay for my repairs too - she's sweet (and employed) that way.

Cheers!
Eyyo kid
Where can I get a girl like that?

heheh..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts