Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· dealer-opted track pack
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yo,
Most of you probably use Zaino or Meguiar's--no?
I know that Pat uses PoorBoys. His coupe is brilliant.
So, in your opinion, what is the best treatment for a car?

k.h.

· Registered
2,503 Posts
I use Meguiars for the same reason that 93LegendSedan uses mothers. It just makes the car look good. however I Use more than one type of waz. I have just run out but what i had was Swirl remover (Whatever the finest one is) and then buff that off followed by Yellow Wax #26. It makes the paint SHINE.

· 0000$$$$0000####0000
4,879 Posts
I tend to use organic carnuba waxes because I like the deeper wet look, but I ended up using Meguires NXT Tech wax and used it for a couple of car shows. I still really like that wax. Lately though I've been using Adams butter wax and spray detailer since I've been going to more car shows. It has a good shine, easy to apply and remove, and leaves that paint as slick as anything I've ever used. Since I detail the car often enough for shows and what not I really don't care how long it last, so carnuba based organic waxes are just fine for me.

· is gone with the wind ...
1,019 Posts
Meguiar's 3-step Crystal System and my Porter Cable. Then Rain-X on the glass. Mother's Chrome polish for trim and Mother's Plastic polish for head/taillights.

· I like shiny
14,445 Posts
You sent me a PM and asked me why I use Poorboys over Zanio?

Zanio is a synthetic that covers blemishes. Poorboys gives you the tools to polish out the swirls and blemishes and then follow that up with a wax to provide a wonderful shine. Everybody has their reasons for using what they use. One of the reasons I use Poorboys, besides the awesome results and ease of use is the customer service. Steve, the Owner/operator answers any questions you might have and really listens to his customers. The entire line up is great.

· Fre OG
1,258 Posts
91LSMAN said:
You sent me a PM and asked me why I use Poorboys over Zanio?

Zanio is a synthetic that covers blemishes. Poorboys gives you the tools to polish out the swirls and blemishes and then follow that up with a wax to provide a wonderful shine. Everybody has their reasons for using what they use. One of the reasons I use Poorboys, besides the awesome results and ease of use is the customer service. Steve, the Owner/operator answers any questions you might have and really listens to his customers. The entire line up is great.
Of course he listens to you, you are probably single handly putting his kids threw college, just messing man, love the new sig

· Sales Guido
1,105 Posts
Polish wise, I use Mothers's, seeing as they still make some of the best products on the market. As for wax, I've tried many of them over the years. I just switched to Mother's Reflections a few months ago, and i love the results. It really gives a nice deep shine, and the application is super easy. FYI, it is a fully synthetic wax, not a carnauba. Speaking of polishing, I desperately need to polish my coupe. I have acid rain oxidation & minor swirls underneath my wax. Waxes with minor cleaners usually remove that, but this acid rain stuff is a to get off. Too bad it's only like 10 degrees outside, or I'd be out there doing it :(

· Registered
2,473 Posts
I use meguiars professional line, mainly because most of the stuff I need can be found at meguiar's professional dealers.

Meguiar #83 has been my absolute favorite polish/cleaner. It removes swirls and blemishes instead of covering it up, yet it's easy to take off. Meguiar #26 leaves a slick surface for me and it's easily comparable to meguiars NXT when it comes to applying and removing.

Also, meguiar carries a variety of different products for the job so you're not limited to 4 or 5 products. Not to mention, they're located in Irvine and they hold many Detailing Day shows.

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=10145
http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=6614

Hands on experience plus a lecture = teh win :D

· has left.
4,520 Posts
I've used meguires and mothers carnuba wax and liked the results. Does great if you're looking for a quick wax.

I did a 3 stage with a meguires paint cleaner, polish and finished with the gold wax once about a year ago if not a little more and it was GORGEOUS when I was done. Well worth an entire afternoon of work.

I've also used 3m paint cleaner on a buddy's car at one point and liked it better than the meguires but I think it's a little harder to find. It brought the red out of what appeared to be a very dull paint job and matched the hood which had recently been repainted on the car. Though, I'm not sure what he's done since but the paint on the roof was mad faded when i saw the car the other day... I'd be hesitent to blame the cleaner however as we did that job 2-3 years ago already.

· I like shiny
14,445 Posts
khoerling said:
Which of Poorboys' products should I combine to get a brilliant shine?
Also, is there a best site to order them through?

k.
It depends on how much work you really want to do and what tools you have available.

Quck and by hand...

Clay
Polish With Carnuba
Natty's Paste Wax
Spray and Gloss

Longer, By Hand OR With Porter Cable 7424

Clay
SSR1/SSR2.5 or both depending on paint condition
Polish With Carnuba
Natty's Paste Wax
Spray and Gloss

The polishing is what takes the time and provides the best results. I can put on and take off PWC and Natty's on a couple cars in an afternoon.

FYI: There is a member selling a Porter Cable in the For sale section with pads I believe.

· Registered
4,439 Posts
Meguiars sucks. Any meguiars.. (I have used it)

Zaino is overpriced and overcomplex. (I have used the lineup)

Here is my short list (I have used both)

- Pinnacle Souveran
- P21S (you can get it at a Harley Dealership for $15, its relabled S100)

Either one of them will kick the crap out of Meguiars or most others.

My car is normally so clean that when I wax I see no difference. But when I switched for Meguiars to the P21S I saw a huge difference, and a considerable difference over that with the Pinnacle.

Procedure: Wash - clay - wash - paint cleaner - stratch removal - polish - sealant (Klasse AIO) - wax 1st coat - wax 2nd coat

· dealer-opted track pack
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
91LSMAN said:
It depends on how much work you really want to do and what tools you have available.

Quck and by hand...

Clay
Polish With Carnuba
Natty's Paste Wax
Spray and Gloss

Longer, By Hand OR With Porter Cable 7424

Clay
SSR1/SSR2.5 or both depending on paint condition
Polish With Carnuba
Natty's Paste Wax
Spray and Gloss

The polishing is what takes the time and provides the best results. I can put on and take off PWC and Natty's on a couple cars in an afternoon.

FYI: There is a member selling a Porter Cable in the For sale section with pads I believe.
How do you apply the polish?
Which products make sense to use the porter cable for?

Thank you for the useful advise.

k.h.

· Registered
4,439 Posts
GSteg said:
Which professional line failed you? :confused:
Not sure exactly what you mean. As for why I don't like Meguiars:

- Gold class lineup. Gold class is overly "shiny". It's a good wax if you want an artificial shine, but that's about it. No depth and very little reflection. Looks great on silver.

- The Premium No. ones - in the tan bottles - they don't do much of anything. Again very little reflection and less shine than the gold class. The wax takes far too much effort to get off, as does the show car glaze, which has the nasty habit of turning into sand paper even in the best waxing weather.

- NXT generation - a total piece of crap. The car wash does nothing, the interior protectant is glorified armor all, and the wax does nothing.

The only "Decent" wax is the gold class, but that's only on vechiles where you are not interested in alot of reflection, you just want shine.. e.g. silver. Even a white will look better with a good caranauba.

In the following photo, I have S100 on the hood, and Meguiars Gold Class on the fender. I think the picture says it all.

· Registered
2,473 Posts
The tan bottle (especially #26) is easy to take off. It's easier to wipe off than the S100. I dont use any of the Meguiar regular line stuff. Those are geared for more people who wants shine.

This is when I used Gold class:
http://photobucket.com/albums/v226/GSteg/?action=view&current=Picture112.jpg

Looks like reflection to me :confused:

Here is when I used the Professional wax (tan bottle):

http://photobucket.com/albums/v226/GSteg/?action=view&current=DSC02074.jpg
http://photobucket.com/albums/v226/GSteg/?action=view&current=DSC02073.jpg
http://photobucket.com/albums/v226/GSteg/?action=view&current=DSC02082.jpg
http://photobucket.com/albums/v226/GSteg/?action=view&current=DSC02080.jpg

Looks like it has depth to me :2cool:

Perhaps we are using different techniques. :eek:

· Registered
4,439 Posts
GSteg said:
The tan bottle (especially #26) is easy to take off. It's easier to wipe off than the S100. I dont use any of the Meguiar regular line stuff. Those are geared for more people who wants shine.

This is when I used Gold class:
http://photobucket.com/albums/v226/GSteg/?action=view&current=Picture112.jpg
Looks like flowers to me? :giggle:

I find the S100 and the Pinnacle to be the easiest waxes to take off. The Pinnacle can be taken off with a single wipe in anything from the hottest day to winter. I do not see the depth you are talking about, I suggest trying a thing of Pinnacle Souveran. Every once in a while they come up with a 2 for 1 special. After the special is over, you could sell the other one for $60-$70 and pay $0 for the jar you keep.

· Road Trip King
4,700 Posts
I was born and raised on Meguiar's and I still think it's decent stuff; the beading just doesn't last long enough for me. I would maybe get 3-4 weeks of beading out of the Gold Class product.

Pat's got me all converted over to Poorboys. I love the stuff, especially the Natty's paste wax. My entire regimen consists of:

Bold N Bright for vinyl and rubber (and engine)
Natural Look for interior detailing
Natty's white and blue paste waxes
Spray N Wipe
Spray N Gloss

Armor All is of the Devil! :D I've deleted it completely from my car cleaning supply closet.

But don't take my word for it. Just look at this 12-year-old paint shine. The only time it's ever been machine buffed (at least during my 3 years of ownership) was when Pat buffed it with Poorboys just before this picture was taken:

^ I know the bumper had fitment issues. It's fixed now.

· Registered
2,473 Posts
arnach said:
Looks like flowers to me? :giggle:

I find the S100 and the Pinnacle to be the easiest waxes to take off. The Pinnacle can be taken off with a single wipe in anything from the hottest day to winter. I do not see the depth you are talking about, I suggest trying a thing of Pinnacle Souveran. Every once in a while they come up with a 2 for 1 special. After the special is over, you could sell the other one for $60-$70 and pay $0 for the jar you keep.
Eh. Tried the Pinnacle in both the paste and liquid form already. It's nothing I couldn't get with my Meguiar. Now on a red car, the paste works wonder.

Can't really see depth in those pictures unless you look at it in person. My Sony DSC-P52 isn't exactly a gem.
:eek:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.