Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I attached an image out of a manual, what's this BOX? It makes a ticking sound for me between 1600rpm - 2200rpm. It just started doing it recently.

I also THINK, I heard a metallic type of sound two seconds after I turned on the car, kind of like if the starter engages (that awful metal sound) while the engine is spinning. But I highly doubt it was the starter, as the car had already been started, it was shortly after, 2-3 seconds. Could be two things, all help, opinions appreciated.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
this is the vacuum control box for a variety of controls, including EGR control solenoid, EGR vacuum control, MAP sensor, fuel pressure regulator solenoid, ignition timing adjuster. Note vacuum lines running into the unit to the various controls.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I think I know exactly what you are talking about... It sounds kind of like a continuous metalic low growl "naw" kind of sound that last about 5-10 seconds and is very intermittent and only does it upon startup occasionally.

****. You could cut the engine off. Pop the hood. Start it up 15 times and it won't do it. Give it 3 days later and you have already forgot about the noise and then you may start it up and get 5 feet down the road and hear it again.

This sounds like the pully to your power steering pump.

That ticking noise need best be acurately diagnosed by removing the 2 bolts that secure the control box assy. One bolt is on the fire wall the other is on the flange that supports the engine bay stiffner.

With the car started... you want to look at the belly of this box and clearly identify which silenoid is getting read to s h i t the bed altogether.

KNLNGUS

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We've Opened the Box! (as Al Bundy would say).. lol... anyways, I see those components that you pointed out, the one that is making the "TICKING" noise is the larger round black one. It has a postive and negative (red, black) cable and a hose running to it. On the top it says "A1" "3S03".

What is this? Should I replace it, cost?

*side note: my car seems to idle at 450rpm when fully warm and A/C off*

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
the EGR valve and the control solenoid may be fine and just reponding to vacuum changes or losses in the system. Before replacing either (not cheap) check your hoses for splits, bad connections etc. Then check vacuum in system at EGR valve while engine is idling....you will need gauge and manual. The control valve solenoid adjusts the amount of valve lift to the EGR valve depending on a variety of sensor signals sent via the main computer (PCM)....you will need a better understanding of the system to evaluate the problem you perceive...the cause could be elsewhere...this sort of work is best performed by a quality trained tech, as many systems have interfaces that affect EGR operation...then again, you may find a loose hose or split or ?, and fix it yourself...have some fun.

·
Registered
744 Posts
FutureX 2001, while I do agree with bigdad - I will add that those solenoids themselves do fail.

Do you have a friend you can cannabolize the solenoid that is ticking.

Take a look at this link and find the part and then pan down for the cost.

Although this specific link is for my application - you can get a just of the cost and then call Acura of Augusta. Take some time to bookmark this site when you have plugged in your info. BTW, I tried '94 GS and the picture didn't come up - so I didn't want you to think I was trying to be ignorant.

http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.net...y3=2DR+LS&catcgry4=KA6MT&catcgry5=CONTROL+BOX

KNLNGUS

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
can some one tell me what is nr 1 and 4 ?

thanX

·
Registered
744 Posts
on the diagram,

4 = joint (probably hydroponic, lmao) looks like an A pipe (of sorts)

1 = clamp (roach clip) looks like a bracket or brace.

KNLNGUS

Is that what you are talking about?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
and 5

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
yup but what thouse thing are for ?
like what kind of job thay do ?

thanx

·
Registered
36 Posts
FutureX 2001, Do you have the orignal dealer service manual? If not, I live in Temple City, CA. it's near by, if you would I like stop and take a look at the manual, you more than welcome. Let's me know. Oh! I have the 4dr manual. I think it not much difference.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's #13/#14 from that link

None of my friends would be able to do that to it. What is the specific function of this unit? What systems will it affect? Could this quite possibly relate to my 450rpm idle?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.