Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
87? 88? 91? I put in 87 recently, and the thing is detonating big time on acceleration. The car has 200k miles on it, and I had just had the timing belt and a bunch of other things done to it at a shop. I really don't know anything about the car since I just bought it, and I couldn't find a definite answer on the search engine here.

· Registered
2,316 Posts
not really sure ... for 89 and 90 it was 87 ... maybe they advanced the timing ... i know that my car loves 89 ... she gets around 30 mpg hwy on it ... vs. 27mpg on 87

· because i can.
10,426 Posts
Ok first things first....check the ECU (under passenger seat on sedan, and under passenger carpet on coupes) and see how many blinks are comming from the red LED...

The ECU could be indicating that there is a faulty emissions component or incorrect timing that would cause the detonation...

BUT it could also be that you need new plugs, wire, car, rotor, etc. because our cars are designed to run just fine off of 87 octane...get back to us with the ECU's code...

· Registered
375 Posts
Severe detonation with 87 octane could mean your timing is too far advanced.

· Registered
779 Posts
well most of use on the forums run 110 octain j/k but if no codes try running higher octain if they doesnt do the trick then something else is wrong but as stated above it wouldnt hurt to check plugs, wire, cap, and rotor

· Registered
234 Posts
Damn some one put the timing belt on wrong. I would have made them give me my money back. Thats also why i try to do all my jobs on the legend myself.

· Registered
2,316 Posts
Told ya guys ... they advanced the timing by improperly putting the timing belt on ... should have just started running 91 ... that thing would have had great horsepower gains, lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.