Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm new to this list, but I have lurked on and off for a bit. I want to buy a used Legend and I'm needing a little advice/clarification on what year/model I should be looking for.

My sister had a white 92 Legend 4-door automatic that I loved dearly and that was what I was looking for. After reading the list I see that some of the newer models may be better, but I haven't kept up with all the different models.

I saw one post where a 94-95 GS Sedan would be one of the best years/models to have (it has to be an automatic). If I look for this model car will it say "GS" on the car? I've found a 95 Acura Legend, gold package, but haven't looked at it yet. Does the gold package make it a GS? Sorry for my ignorance, but I want to make sure I get the right car. Before it was a 92 Legend, now I'm a bit confused about what year/model to look for. It has to be a 4 door and an automatic since it's suppose to be my wife's car. :)

Thank you!
Pat

·
502MotorSports.com
9,296 Posts
Pat, your best bet would be the GS model - made only in years 1994-1995, and is a SEDAN only...in spite of what many dealers/private owners will tell you. The GS comes with the Type II motor - with 230hp standard, vs the other sedans 91-95 (L, LS) and SE (95) which come with the Type I (200hp). The way to be certain the car is a GS is (1) the body colored grill on the hood (like the coupes), and (2), the Type II medallion emblazoned on the manifold on the motor. The GS is your best bet. WElcome aboard, and if you have any questions, please don't hesitate.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Easiest way to tell if its a GS is to see if it says TypeII on the engine. Can't miss it. The gold package doesn't make it a GS. It just means they got gold badges.

Edit:HAHA. This is funny:D keep on postin right after another

·
502MotorSports.com
9,296 Posts
GreenLegend said:
Easiest way to tell if its a GS is to see if it says TypeII on the engine. Can't miss it. The gold package doesn't make it a GS. It just means they got gold badges. Also I believe, but not sure, that it says
L E G E N D across the middle of the trunk lid to indicate it being a GS. As for which one to get, other people could help you a lot better than I. :)
correct....
Actually, all Legends 94-95 have the LEGEND spelled out on the trunk.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for the quick replies. Yeah I really didn't think the 'gold package' had anything to do with "GS", but I had to ask! :)

From what I've seen, timing belt, idler pulley and water pump are the main 90K maintenance. I'm guessing this would cost around $750 or so at the dealer to do? The reason I'm asking is because the car has 85K miles on it so I'm guessing this hasn't been done. Want to use it as a little barganing power.

Are the 94-95 GS Sedans very rare? I'm just wondering how often I'll run across these.

Anyway, thanks again, I'm off to checkout E-bay! :)

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
You talked about newer models, the G2 Legend(which your sis had) was made from 1991-1995. The GS is the top model of the Legend Sedan but it isn't necessary. The 1991-1995 LS has everything the 94/95 GS has except for body colored front grill, TYPE II Engine, and 16 inch GS rims....If you are looking for the most powerful and sporty looking legend sedan there is, and if major speed isn't what you are too worried about...I would get an LS...Just play it by ear..If the GS is at your price range, might as well get it...

Just trying to clear some stuff up. Leon said the GS is your best bet but it isn't that necessary if you don't absolutely need what it has....

By the way, the TYPE I Engine, in my opinion has a lot of power and speed already....Good luck...

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I read that the GS also has a "Sport Suspension" that is mostly found on the coupe editions...

Also to add, the GS edition (And TypeII motors) will have a 160mph speedomter, TypeI editions will have a 140mph speedo

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The additional info gives me a much better idea of what I will get or not get with the GS model. Right now I'll look for a one owner low mileage 92-95 Legend for the right price and if a GS get in there, I'll be even happier. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Roger said:
the GS is also the only sedan to have heated seats which is a big plus not to mention a spedo that goes to 160!
Not true, all LS Sedans(91-95) came with them...My 92 LS has them...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I just talked to the owner of the Legend and so far it sounds good. Didn't ask if it was a GS. I need to at least see and drive the car to see how it compares to my sis's old 92 L.

If there are any known problems with this year model car, please let me know so I can make sure to check that out closer. I hope to test drive the car this evening. Will let you all know what happens. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
PoodleHead said:
The additional info gives me a much better idea of what I will get or not get with the GS model. Right now I'll look for a one owner low mileage 92-95 Legend for the right price and if a GS get in there, I'll be even happier. Thanks again!
You might want to consider getting your Legend out of state.
I notice you're in Texas and I see TONS of Legends on ebay, that appear to have had their titles cleaned (Texas is the only state where you can basically clean the title of a car, after it's been salvaged the heck out).

Just a friendly idea.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm trying to find a GS 6-speed....now that's rare!

Guess it gives me time to learn how to drive a stick...doh!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Test Drove the car this evening...

I was bummed to find out it was only a Legend L, but the interior looked brand new except the driver door weatherstip was torn from the seatbelt latch getting in the way. The outside was a little beatup, but no big dents (color-cashmere). The front bumper was cracked from someone hitting it in a parking lot or something and had lots of black marks on both side door guards. There was a metal rattle when driving the car so I'm assuming that was ole cat heatshield rattle. The engine looked good, very dusty and could use a good cleaning, but no real fluid leaks. Oil changed at 3K miles. They are the original owners and the only problem they had with the car was with the brakes. They have most of their reciepts, but not all.

They are asking $11,900 and I found out he will not take $10,000 as is. :) The car has 86K miles so it is almost due for the 90K checkup which won't be cheap. He is going to price this from his shop tomorrow and I'm going to price this at an Acura dealership tomorrow too. If I get serious about buying this car I will pay someone else to check it out because I don't trust myself. Question is if there are no problems found with the car, what would be a good, but fair price to pay for the car? Right now I could take it or leave it. The main reason to leave it would be because it's only an L, but that's still waaay above what we have now so really not valid! :) I also have the VIN #. Is there someplace I could run this number to find out a history about this car? Thank you!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hey, dont leave it because its only an L. I drive and L, and have no problems with it. Granted, I am still looking for a GS...but if you find an L for the right price like I did (68k miles, $10,200) I scooped it up.

You have to wonder about someone trying to sell their car that doesnt even clean the engine though...

You can check the VIN at Carfax.com. It will run you $15 I think...you might want to find someone here to run it. There is an option on carfax.com to buy unlimited checks for 30days...so if someone still has their 30 Day membership, you can get it checked for free!

Good luck, and hopefully, welcome aboard!

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
i think 11 is steep for that car seeing it is an L and what was the year ?? it would have to be 94, 95 hopefully for that price. i got my 95 GS with 92,000 for 12,300 and that was over a year ago so you should be able to get one cheeper than that and at least an LS

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Thats way to much for an L, and you say its somewhat beat up? no way buddy sounds like someone is trying to milk ya, you can find those (L models) all day for under 10k have you gone to E-trader dot com? for that kind of money you can get a much cleaner LS so I say keep looking....

Yes GS's are very rare I just barely found mines, found at a Lexus dealership.

·
Registered
702 Posts
TOO MUCH!

look around, you'll find a better deal. if you are going to pay 11k, you can easily find one in better mechanical condition without the dents, scratches, cracks, etc.

main thing is don't rush...you'll find a good one if ya look around.

i got my 94L sedan about 8 or 9 months ago for $9,300 and it was in perfect condition, not many scratches at all, no dents, excellent mechanical condition, and i had to pass up several deals that seemed to be good at first until further inspection.

keep lookin' :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts