Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once again I'm here due to a possible problem!
I have a 93 Acura Legend with 93,000 miles on it. I had my head gaskets replaced last year due to overheating along with water pump, timing belt and new radiator. Ever once in awhile I get this wiff, smell of burning oil. I seems to be coming from the vents. My car is not overheating, but i do notice to be burning oil, having to fill up every month in a half. Does anyone have this problem? Whats going on? Your replys would be great!!

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Are you saying that your oil is so low that every month AND a half you have to fill the oil right up, or you have to put a half a liter in every month?

My engine has Low mileage, and I add oil every two weeks approx. It is normal to consume oil. I had my oil changed about 3000 mileas ago, and I have not put a full liter in yet. Just little dabs here and there.

I check my oil level everytime I go and get gas (1-2 times per week). It is so important that you do this because it is the blood of your engine.

How much do you put in? HOw long in between? You should monitor your oil consumption because if you have to put 3L in every month and a half, that is bad. But if you are putting in a liter to top it up, that is normal. It could be that your piston rings are shot and you are burning oil. That is not normal, but is not un-common on older vehicles. DONT let you oil level get below that bottom line on your dipstick.... bad news if left too long.

My 88 ford taurus went thorugh 1 Liter of oil every 2 days. A very big POS car. it still ran though (barely).:rolleyes: .

Get back to us with som more info:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent reply.. Thanks
Yeah I guess it's normal to consume oil between intervals. Im not used to it. My mustang burns NO oil and its a worked car! I need to pay close attention to the oil on the dip stick. Today I added a quart and a half to bring up to the second dot. The smell I noticed was my engine cooking due to lack of oil. Again, I have to pay attention to the oil. So it is normal to burn the oil between oil changes?

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Its absolutely normal. It even says that in the owners manual. Completely normal. The worst thing you can do to an engine is let it run low on fluids, especially oil. Oil is subject to high temperatures and friction, which will cause it to break down. Like I said in another post, a local radio station had a brand new hummer for their promo vehicle. This guy was always driving it around, and after about 3 months, the hummer died. Well thats odd..... its a hummer.... US military vehicle, indestructable right?

Wrong.... the engine seized because the moron forgot to check the oil. The hummer had about 13 000km on it. So they had to rebuild the engine because it just cooked itself from the inside out. Moral of the story..... always check your oil.:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts