Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
I'm too sexy for my car
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today I pop my hood when I was getting my oil changed and noticed that my engine bay was very dirty. What do some of you guys use to clean your engine bays? I remember someone saying before that they used simple green. Should I use that and which one should I get?

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Triton3K said:
Well today I pop my hood when I was getting my oil changed and noticed that my engine bay was very dirty. What do some of you guys use to clean your engine bays? I remember someone saying before that they used simple green. Should I use that and which one should I get?
Yeah, use simple green and an old toothbrush.

·
Five- O
857 Posts
I get mine steamed cleaned during the spring. They cover all the electrical stuff before they do it. It comes out looking great.

Esti

·
I'm too sexy for my car
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey Esti, where do you go to get it steamed cleaned? Do you go to a car wash or any other place?

·
Five- O
857 Posts
I go to car detailing place. They charge about $25. It comes out great, and I remember someone saying that the steam is also good for the hoses.

I was walking around an auto parts store a few weeks ago and purchased this engine detailing kit. One bottle is a cleaner- Just spray, wait a while and hose off. The other is the detailer, just spray amd leave alone. I'm going to try it out and see how it works. I think it cost me like $9.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I actually washed up the type 2 yesterday for the first time, and I just went down to the wash bay and used their engine degreaser. I put a plastic bag over the alternator and the electrical components at the back left. I was nervous about using the spray on my engine, but it is low pressure, and you use little jabs of the high pressure rinse to get it free of soap. The best $2 I have ever spent on cleaning my engine. I will take a pic later for u...

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Esti said:
I go to car detailing place. They charge about $25. It comes out great, and I remember someone saying that the steam is also good for the hoses.

I was walking around an auto parts store a few weeks ago and purchased this engine detailing kit. One bottle is a cleaner- Just spray, wait a while and hose off. The other is the detailer, just spray amd leave alone. I'm going to try it out and see how it works. I think it cost me like $9.

Esti, The 4runner boys always raved about this CD-2. They have some dirty ass engines and this stuff works great. The best part is that the protectant repels dust, a must for off roaders. I have seen it for less at Pep boys ($6-7).

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
I have always used CD2 degreaser and detailer. Just be careful if you have a driveway and you keep it clean. A lot of the grease and chemicals might run down it and stain it. Put something underneath it first :)

And of course, stay away from the filter, and make sure none of it lands on the electrical components.

·
I'm too sexy for my car
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool,
I guess i'm gonna give this CD2 cleaner when I try to clean out my engine this coming weekend if the weather is good.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Hey Triton3k, how much do you think a professional waxing should cost? I'm thinking of getting the "First" wax a professional one. My baby doesn't have any wax on her yet, afraid the paint might get damaged!

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Hey guys, can anyone show me where exactly to cover up in the engine bay before I spray with water or cleaner. Can someone post a pic of the engine bay and point out the parts? Thanks in Advance

·
502MotorSports.com
9,321 Posts
ESTI, guys, that CD2 works AWESOME!!

I used that last year before NOPI, and it stayed clean right until I swapped motors! Wowsers, that is GREAT stuff! Damnit! Now I let me "secret" out of the bag ;)

WhiteLEgend, I can tell you what I do....
You need the following:
several old blankets
sheets (non satin ;) - wifey may kill you)
garbage bags
grocery size plastic bags

Areas of concern:
FUSEBOX
area in front of stock airbox (lots of electrical connections - cover with small sheet and a plastic bag)
area near ABS container (cover with plastic bags RH side of the car)
FUSEBOX
FUSEBOX
FUSEBOX
Did I mention, FUSEBOX?
COVER dipstick with a bag then alternator with a bag, THEN place the blanket(s) down in the area to cover them all...use your thickest one, the majority of the water can go down there)!
Any other miscellaneous areas with electrical harnesses...cover with the little baggies. Also, near the Master Cylinder are some harnesses, cover these. After that, just doublecheck your work and you should be good to go. FOLLOW the directions on the CD-2 verbatim....enjoy

·
I'm too sexy for my car
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
FutureX 2001 said:
Hey Triton3k, how much do you think a professional waxing should cost? I'm thinking of getting the "First" wax a professional one. My baby doesn't have any wax on her yet, afraid the paint might get damaged!
I have no idea Future. I got a wax one time in the summer from a friend being that he was waxing his car and he only charged me $25. I wanna also get my car waxed once the weather gets hot.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
LeGeNdZ_4_LiFe said:
ESTI, guys, that CD2 works AWESOME!!

I used that last year before NOPI, and it stayed clean right until I swapped motors! Wowsers, that is GREAT stuff! Damnit! Now I let me "secret" out of the bag ;)

WhiteLEgend, I can tell you what I do....
You need the following:
several old blankets
sheets (non satin ;) - wifey may kill you)
garbage bags
grocery size plastic bags

Areas of concern:
FUSEBOX
area in front of stock airbox (lots of electrical connections - cover with small sheet and a plastic bag)
area near ABS container (cover with plastic bags RH side of the car)
FUSEBOX
FUSEBOX
FUSEBOX
Did I mention, FUSEBOX?
COVER dipstick with a bag then alternator with a bag, THEN place the blanket(s) down in the area to cover them all...use your thickest one, the majority of the water can go down there)!
Any other miscellaneous areas with electrical harnesses...cover with the little baggies. Also, near the Master Cylinder are some harnesses, cover these. After that, just doublecheck your work and you should be good to go. FOLLOW the directions on the CD-2 verbatim....enjoy
Thanks Leon, I'll try that as soon as it stops snowing here in MI. Appreciate your help

·
GS Hog
7,043 Posts
FutureX 2001 said:
"Professional" doesn't always mean better. Some professionals can actually cause swirl marks with their buffers.

I'm not certain, but I think that they typically charge $100 and up.

Make sure you shop around for someone who actually cares about the cars he works on, or consider getting a good car care system, and taking the time to layer it on yourself by hand. :)

No professional detailer has ever touched my car, nor will one in the foreseeable future. ;)

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Great now you just scared me, I'm gonna do it myself, I'll have to dig up that waxing thread... thank god we have a search feature!!!!

BTW, I've been wanting to paint the 3.2L V6 on the covers of the engine. Any idea what I should use to pull this off? I was going to paint the whole covers white, but decided white would probably just get really ugly really fast inside the engine bay (my car is white so I was going to do it white for that reason)

·
I'm too sexy for my car
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey Future i'm in the same boat as you as far as painting the covers, I was gonna paint it white then said it'll get dirty to quick so i'm deciding between red and a silver. I know Darren used a paint called Duplicolor and he posted the site in the old forums but I gotta find the link.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts