Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just got back from the shop. I dropped $100 to find out what was causing the lound noise from my ABS system. It was discovered that my accumulator and modulator are both leaking. Due to this leak the pump can not keep up and makes a tone of noise now. I am curious if this sounds correct to others, but I trust my mechanics. Here is the down fall, those two parts are $900 and $300 (est) respectively and it will cost me another $200 to have them installed. My only other option is to disable my ABS, but that worries me. With this not being the only work required to get this car up to snuff I am faced with a decission. Do I part it out and get my money back, or keep pumping cash into it. I am not afraid of putting some serious $ into it if I keep it forever. Seeing as this is my current plan I am probably going to move forward. I just wanted some input from my Legend Family before I make any big decisions.
Later!
Lee

·
Banned
3,371 Posts
If you want to keep the car with no intentions of selling it then by all means fix it up. Some other members might tell you to cut your losses and part the car out.

I was the same way with my G2. I wanted to sell my car as soon as I had to dump $1200 to clean up the engine and then $1500 to completely install a new a/c system. I wanted to cut my loses right there, but I was like nah, I love this car too much even thought it pisses me off. So hear I am almost $4700 later and my car couldn't be running any better.

Plus I'd be pissed at myself if I sold it. Like I said before, if you want to keep it forever, which it sounds like you do, by all means fix it up.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
sleeprlegendcp said:
Well, I just got back from the shop. I dropped $100 to find out what was causing the lound noise from my ABS system. It was discovered that my accumulator and modulator are both leaking. Due to this leak the pump can not keep up and makes a tone of noise now. I am curious if this sounds correct to others, but I trust my mechanics. Here is the down fall, those two parts are $900 and $300 (est) respectively and it will cost me another $200 to have them installed. My only other option is to disable my ABS, but that worries me. With this not being the only work required to get this car up to snuff I am faced with a decission. Do I part it out and get my money back, or keep pumping cash into it. I am not afraid of putting some serious $ into it if I keep it forever. Seeing as this is my current plan I am probably going to move forward. I just wanted some input from my Legend Family before I make any big decisions.
Later!
Lee
I would just keep all the other little problems maintained and pull the fuse on the ABS. It's not eally worth the money to fix the ABS

·
Registered
9,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
91sedan said:
If you want to keep the car with no intentions of selling it then by all means fix it up. Some other members might tell you to cut your losses and part the car out.

I was the same way with my G2. I wanted to sell my car as soon as I had to dump $1200 to clean up the engine and then $1500 to completely install a new a/c system. I wanted to cut my loses right there, but I was like nah, I love this car too much even thought it pisses me off. So hear I am almost $4700 later and my car couldn't be running any better.

Plus I'd be pissed at myself if I sold it. Like I said before, if you want to keep it forever, which it sounds like you do, by all means fix it up.
I too understand this feeling. I put over $3k into my G2 just doing the maintance that was needed. This was with me doing most of the work. When I look back on it this was one of my favorite aspects of that car. Of course I never got the chance to put any mods on it. I am now a total of $2,100 into this G1, and am looking at another $2g to get it to where I will be happy. I can part it out for more than I am into it, but I would have to act soon. This option also puts me in a hard place for transportation. I am definately leaning towards keeping it and going the best I can find all the way. My mechanic is already trying to talk me into FI for it.
Later!
Lee

·
Registered
9,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Legend_master said:
I would just keep all the other little problems maintained and pull the fuse on the ABS. It's not eally worth the money to fix the ABS
That is what my mechanics recomended. I really trust ABS. I was in a horrible hydroplaining accident in my only car that did not have ABS. I will live with the noise before I disable the system. That is just how I am now.
Later!
Lee

·
Premium Member
9,167 Posts
I truly believe that the Early Acura's had horrible ABS systems. Lee, ABS is mostly for people that aren't skilled enough drivers to pump a brake pedal. Having ABS wouldn't have helped you from hydroplaning either.

Pull the ABS fuse, drive with it for a few days and then make up your mind. I wouldn't repair the ABS if it went bad on my coupe, I don't like it at all.

·
Registered
9,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mike Diaz said:
I truly believe that the Early Acura's had horrible ABS systems. Lee, ABS is mostly for people that aren't skilled enough drivers to pump a brake pedal. Having ABS wouldn't have helped you from hydroplaning either.

Pull the ABS fuse, drive with it for a few days and then make up your mind. I wouldn't repair the ABS if it went bad on my coupe, I don't like it at all.
I have driven non ABS cars and handled pumping the brake, but I just like the extra insurance. If I keep this car I want everything working in perfect order.
Later!
Lee

Added: Even if I disabled the ABS wouldn't I still have a little spongeyness in the brake pedal from the leaks?

·
Banned
3,371 Posts
sleeprlegendcp said:
I have driven non ABS cars and handled pumping the brake, but I just like the extra insurance. If I keep this car I want everything working in perfect order.
Later!
Lee

Added: Even if I disabled the ABS wouldn't I still have a little spongeyness in the brake pedal from the leaks?
im feeling you on that one. I'm still trying to replace this busted antenna and replace some stuff that others could live with. I'm sorry, but EVERYTHING has to work. when I press that button, or flip that switch, that damn thing better work!

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Man, don't listen to these guys that wanna say "ABS is junk". These kids don't know what's up. I myself have been saved by the ABS in my 1991 Integra, and the ABS in my 1995 Legend. In fact, for only paying $500 for my Integra, I am still surprised the ABS works. The ABS on all Honda's was good from day one. They use 4 channel ABS, with a accumulator and pressure pump. The early ABS units that were junk were the "on-off" kind used on domestics. It is worth fixing if you are going to keep the car. I can understand that usually ABS is not needed, but in no way should anyone believe that Honda ABS systems are lousy and better off dead. Anyone that says "ABS caused me to have an accident/almost have an accident" would have met the same fate without ABS. Besides, if you are picky about your car functioning like normal, might as well get the ABS fixed to keep the car up to par. Junkyards are a good place to go. If my Integra's ABS ever goes out, I will fix it...even though it is only a $500 car.

·
Premium Member
9,167 Posts
If you want to get it fixed. Here's the places close to you that have the parts

modulator
1988 Acura Legend K40394 $50 A and B Auto Salvage USA-GA(Griffin)1-800-726-1570 (they have the accumulator for $150)

1988 Acura Legend 040219 $Call Gentry and Associates, Inc. USA-GA(Newman) 1-866-454-7278
1988 Acura Legend 9-87,2.7FI,ABS, 041305 $Call M & S Auto Parts USA-GA(Fayetteville) 1-800-568-3838 (they also have the accumulator)

Accumulator
1988 Acura Legend 025517 $100 C & L Used Auto Parts USA-GA(Atlanta) 1-404-755-3595

1990 Acura Legend 021382 $100 Wildcat Auto Parts USA-GA(Royston) E-mail 1-800-565-2116

Save yourself about $1000 and buy used. Check out www.car-part.com if these guys don't have them.

·
Registered
9,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mike Diaz said:
If you want to get it fixed. Here's the places close to you that have the parts

modulator
1988 Acura Legend K40394 $50 A and B Auto Salvage USA-GA(Griffin)1-800-726-1570 (they have the accumulator for $150)

1988 Acura Legend 040219 $Call Gentry and Associates, Inc. USA-GA(Newman) 1-866-454-7278
1988 Acura Legend 9-87,2.7FI,ABS, 041305 $Call M & S Auto Parts USA-GA(Fayetteville) 1-800-568-3838 (they also have the accumulator)

Accumulator
1988 Acura Legend 025517 $100 C & L Used Auto Parts USA-GA(Atlanta) 1-404-755-3595

1990 Acura Legend 021382 $100 Wildcat Auto Parts USA-GA(Royston) E-mail 1-800-565-2116

Save yourself about $1000 and buy used. Check out www.car-part.com if these guys don't have them.
Damn Mike! Thanks! Talk about doing all the work for me. M & S is where I usually go, so I will check there. I am also calling Troy Sellers in Alabama to see what they have.
Later!
Lee

·
Registered
9,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
stevieray said:
Lee, I shouldn't have to tell you this but call Troy Sellers over in Gardendale and talk to Jeff or Clark. Hit me up on the cell this weekend---
That is my plan of action for the day. Since I have to drive right past there to see my family for Christmas, this should be no problem. Plus I would finally get a chance to check the place out in person.
Later!
Lee

·
Registered
9,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I checked around and found the whole ABS module for $75 at a local yard. I am almost certain this contains all the parts I need. None of the guys at the yard new anything about ABS, mix that with my knowledge and you are in trouble. If this is not what I need Troy Sellers said they had it for $250, so I can still swing by there. I will know more next week when I take it in to my mechanic.
Later!
Lee

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.