Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Who is THE MASTER?!
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the best mitt and towels I should use to wash and rinse the car with in order to prevent the fine scratches

·
Rebuilding :(
4,624 Posts
there are several ways to prevent fine scratches from washing, but it more so has to do with technique then with the mitt. A good quality mitt will feel soft when wet, maybe go with a chenille or microfiber mitt (lambs wool works well too.) You can use a sea sponge, but they can scratch because they sometimes dont let loose all the sand from the sea.

But technique has alot to do with it too. You can use a two bucket wash method, which uses one bucket to rinse the mitt while the other is clean wash water and soap. Or you can still use a single bucket method while using something called a grit guard.

Home Page - Grit Guard : Home of the Grit Guard Insert - Grit Guard : For Scratch-Free Cleaning

You can also use this in your 2 bucket method too, and it will help with rebel dirt particles.

·
SGM / Type F
3,653 Posts
there are several ways to prevent fine scratches from washing, but it more so has to do with technique then with the mitt. A good quality mitt will feel soft when wet, maybe go with a chenille or microfiber mitt (lambs wool works well too.) You can use a sea sponge, but they can scratch because they sometimes dont let loose all the sand from the sea.

But technique has alot to do with it too. You can use a two bucket wash method, which uses one bucket to rinse the mitt while the other is clean wash water and soap. Or you can still use a single bucket method while using something called a grit guard.

Home Page - Grit Guard : Home of the Grit Guard Insert - Grit Guard : For Scratch-Free Cleaning

You can also use this in your 2 bucket method too, and it will help with rebel dirt particles.
:lol: "screw the rest of you scared little dirt particles, we're going down fightin' the man...er grit guard!"

·
Registered
570 Posts
I would also use instead of a car wash soap based product i use baby shampoo.. it works excellant and doesn't not strap away the wax on your cars finish..

·
Rebuilding :(
4,624 Posts
I would also use instead of a car wash soap based product i use baby shampoo.. it works excellant and doesn't not strap away the wax on your cars finish..
I will respectfully disagree. Car wash soaps are formulated for washing a car, thus they supply the necessary lubricants to minimize the amount of scratching possible to your car while preserving the finish and extending the life of your wax. Dish soap and baby soap are not formulated for this thus you can cause more damage to your paint then with ordinary car washing soap and most likely or will strip your car of wax. For the reason of stripping wax, many people will use dish soap in order to strip the surface down to paint instead of polishing into layers of wax, but I would not recommend its use as a regular wash.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts

·
C.K. Enforcer
637 Posts
I will respectfully disagree. Car wash soaps are formulated for washing a car, thus they supply the necessary lubricants to minimize the amount of scratching possible to your car while preserving the finish and extending the life of your wax. Dish soap and baby soap are not formulated for this thus you can cause more damage to your paint then with ordinary car washing soap and most likely or will strip your car of wax. For the reason of stripping wax, many people will use dish soap in order to strip the surface down to paint instead of polishing into layers of wax, but I would not recommend its use as a regular wash.
+1,2, & 3, as my expedition can attest to that, and i will never, ever, ever, ever(from friday) use that on my whip again!

·
Registered
10 Posts
just use the 2 bucket method. I actually wash my car every 2 weeks and use a single bucket method and i do get alot of swirls. i just do some paint correction every month or so with waxing.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Microfiber, microfiber, microfiber! They also make an insert for the bottom of your 5 gal pail that traps grit while you wash. Only use real leather chamois to dry. NEVER drop wash sponge on ground. ALWAYS rinse out wash sponge after use with pressure; both sides. Always use auto wash soap. Buy Meguiars, they have it at walmart.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts