Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
what about synthetic oil??

i read on some1 else's posts somethin about synthetic oil being bad for the legend. Is that true? and what exactly about it? unless i confused somethin. I use Mobil 1 tri-synthetic all the time and i've never had a problem.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Do a search you'll find it.

Here's the quick short version:
-Sometimes cars which have over 100k miles and have not been fed Synthetic from the start, do not respond well to Synthetic. This is because, build up has occured by using regular oil throughout the years. Synthetic will penetrate deeper into the engine, it will also hit these areas where build-up is present. The build-up will then start to come off, possibly exposing cracks and such where oil will start to leak.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ohh, i got u, thanks for the insight, never knew that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's a risk you take when you first put it in: will it leak or won't it? You have passed the test: Congrats!
To avoid the other prob (releasing build-up), you can start with a semi-syn, then change to full syn later.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, i've been usin synthetic for more than 2 yrs now, so i guess i am in the clear, haha. i guess i'm lucky.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I switched to Castrol Synthetic Blend 5w-30 last oil change. Should I be concerned about clogging my oil filter with crud?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts