Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Service manual says, 24 months or 22,500 miles.
It has an "R" in a box which means, "need service more often if you drive in some severe condition: repeated short distance driving, dusty conditions, severe cold weather, areas with road salt or other corrosive materials, rough muddy roads or towing a trailer".

I change it every 2 years - Honda fluid.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
I "flush" mine every 12/12k and drain/refill every 3/3k. From the past postings it appears as though the Honda A/T's life-expectancy and operation is maximized using more fluid changes and only using Honda A/T fluid. Perhaps I am performing more fluid changes than is necessary, but for the minor increased costs associated with the additional fluid, this is not a concern.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
The Legend tranny does not have a filter, just a screen. Regardless what the manual says, consider this the weakest part on the Legend.

I also change it at every oil change - 3 1/2 quarts of Honda ATF.

$10 protection that can save you thousands...

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LPB said:
I "flush" mine every 12/12k and drain/refill every 3/3k. From the past postings it appears as though the Honda A/T's life-expectancy and operation is maximized using more fluid changes and only using Honda A/T fluid. Perhaps I am performing more fluid changes than is necessary, but for the minor increased costs associated with the additional fluid, this is not a concern.
if u do that, isn't it too premature to change since the fluid is going to look as clear as it's brand new?

that's how it looks in my tranny. i just check it and it look brand new. i even went to dealer and he told me that it will be a waste of money to change it while it's still new.

btw, i changed the fluid 15k miles ago

·
Registered
301 Posts
I believe that tranny fluid will only show a brown to black colour, if the tranny is abused.
When changing mine, it was still clear and did not smell of burnt gears.

Just like how some people change oil, more often than the stated interval, some people change tranny fluid.
Even if you changed your tranny fluid twice in one year, I'd bet you'd be extending the life of your tranny.

Remember, that half of these dealers want something to go wrong with your car so thay can be call upon to repair it. :mad:

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
gAmEs0n said:

if u do that, isn't it too premature to change since the fluid is going to look as clear as it's brand new?

that's how it looks in my tranny. i just check it and it look brand new. i even went to dealer and he told me that it will be a waste of money to change it while it's still new.

btw, i changed the fluid 15k miles ago
On my old 95 I changed once a year or 15K miles and you could feel a difference as it gets a lot smoother. If you can feel a difference changing around 15K miles, than obviously there has been enough degration and chaging sooner would help even more. It doesn't matter what it looks like IMHO, but what it feels like.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.