Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got my new 17" rims and tires installed on Friday. The place that i had it done said that i might notice a vibration at highway speeds. He said something about the balance being off. He said that they balanced them but there will still be vibration.

So i took it out on the highway and the steering wheel vibrates and it didn't do this before i got these rims.

Does anyone else with rims have this problem? Should i take it to a different shop to get them balanced?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
a good rim shop should know how to balance the rims. he jsut told you that cause he probably knows the he does a $hitty job. what i do is after they put the weights on the rims, i tell then to run it 2 more times and get the zero reading.

-j

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
no weights? wow, i highly doubt that u'r rims were that perfect for them to not put any weights on it. i think you should go over there and tell them to balance it again with weights. and you stand there and watch them do it. i hate it when i hear people getting ripped off.

-j

·
Registered
139 Posts
Watch him balance the wheels and make sure that he puts weights in two places. He should put some on the very inner edge of the wheel and another set of stick on weights as close to the outer edge as he can get without them being seen. If they have a newer model balancer tell the guy to balance them "Alloy 2". They should know what that means, if they don't then just watch and make sure they put the weights in two different locations on the wheel. If done properly you can balance any wheel so that it won't vibrate at any speed. I personally balance my own wheels and have had no vibration problems up to 140mph. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
When I first got rims my car shook when I approached 60. Anywhoo after going back for the third time to see if they could fix this problem I decided to take it to my acura dealer. When I got it back it was silky smooth again.

·
Five- O
857 Posts
It took a while but I finally found a tire shop that does my balance perfect. So it's very important u go to a professional shop. Stay away from those chain store- they suck. They told me that they couldn't balance my tire b/c my rim was bent. I took it to my new guy and he said that the rim was perfect.

I also have 17 rims and those chain store and other shops attach the balancing weights to the outer edge of the rim, which detracts from the smooth look of the rim. You should find someone that uses the weights which get stuck on the inside. It may cost alittle more but it's well worth it. I hate driving my car with unbalanced wheels

good luck
Esti

·
Registered
158 Posts
I just got a new set of 17" rims installed at America's Tire Co. in Folsom...and they did an excellent job balancing my tires. Hell, they are smoother than my stock tires were! The guy who did it balances all the tires for the Corvette club in the area...and he drives 130mph on em to make sure it's done right.

I got my old rims/tires from some crappy shop near Placerville, CA and they couldnt balance a tire to save their life! Having a vibration is so annoying...so take it to a good shop the 1st time...pay the extra money, and call it a day.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Ahhh, I want one of those machines. We have to use the older balancers but I bet I can still balance a tire just as well. The nice thing about that is that it takes the human error out of tire balancing, that way you can throw a dummy on the machine and he can still balance your tires. Find a shop that does a lot of business and they should be able to balance them well, if they can't they'll get a lot of unhappy customers and they won't get all that business.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Suggest you locate another alignment shop. This one apparently is grossly incompetent. All 4 wheels/tires were so perfectly balanced as to not require any weights? PULL THE OTHER ONE. This place probably never heard of adhesive wheel weights. I would not trust them to wash my car much less balance the wheels. If they didn't perform the job correctly the first time, what makes you think they will now??

·
Five- O
857 Posts
my guy charges like 14 per wheel- a little pricey but it's worth every penny for that smooth ride.

esti

1 - 14 of 14 Posts