Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a typical sign that my wheel bearings need replacing? When i am driving at very slow speeds i get this noise coming from one of my wheels, and i know it isnt the brakes, could it be the wheel bearings? i have 150K miles on the car. thanks

·
I'm too sexy for my car
2,498 Posts
It could be the wheel bearing, hub bearings, axles, cv joints or tie rods. Take it to a mechanic and have them inspect all these to see what it is.

G

·
I never thought of hub bearings.... How would you know if one of these was bad. If possible I don't want to have to go and see a mechanic again :p. Been spending to much money on that lately and plus I want to gain a little more experience.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Wheel bearings don't usually go easy like. When they go, its now, your stopped on the side of the road. If you persist in driving while hearing the grinding sound it will weld your bearing to your hub necessitating very costly pain in the ass repairs.

Is it a grinding type sound? or a roaring type sound? Does it happen more when you turn? which way etc?
Do you have a helm man? They are pretty thorough on the tests of these areas...
Good luck,
b

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
I heard that in the G2 legend, the wheel bearings comes in one peice with the hub assembly

G

·
Yes, I have a helm manual and no it's isn't a grinding noise. More like a wobble followed by a clang. According to Leon it sounds like a Tie Rod. I'm going to be replacing this on Tuesday. I've got my fingers crossed ;). If this isn't it though I just want to be prepared to have other things to try :eek:.

·
Registered
583 Posts
just a wild shot in the dark and easy to check...
my brakes were pulsing a little and I thought it was warpage, but my screws the held the rotor to the hub were loose. This might also cause the low speed noise. Might check it, all you have to do is take the wheel off.

should be able to check the tie rod end by prying on it with a screwdriver, if it moves around a lot, it's done. same test with balljoints, with the car off it's wheels of course.

more rumbling noises are usually CVs or bearings.

Best of luck with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts