Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Matthew is THE USER!
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
you know the part where it tucks in? it should be covered by a piece of rubber. ugh. i wish i had pictures. but what i want to do is shave/sand off all the paint and spray like asphalt paint or like something strong that will keep out moisture. I really dont what my wheel wels to rust up.

there was a white coupe i remember seeing around here in the forum. I think he had the same thing done to his car.
I hope you guys know what im talking about...

·
Matthew is THE USER!
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
but shouldnt i put something there to prevent it from ever rusting?

·
has left the building
7,217 Posts
if theres no rust why dont you just remove the rubber piece.
If you take off the rubber piece (called a "Wheel Arch Protector), it'll be sure to rust. That rubber strip is supposed to seal & protect the pinch weld between the wheel well & the quarter panel. The problem is when that strip gets bent or moved, water gets between it and the pinch weld and can't drain out. What I did on the Sedan after the LH QP was replaced was take pliers and make sure the the new protector was clamped tight (it has a metal strip in it) & positioned correctly. I then ran a bead of RTV silicone between the edge of the protector and the inner side of the wheel well as it usually rusts from the inside out.

It's just another one of those things on a Legend that you have to check periodically although '91-92 seem to be worse for some reason.

·
Matthew is THE USER!
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cause the strips in the back are loose. so theres no point in my leaving them there... they are just dirt traps. are they easy to take off? i was playing around with it, there was some tension, as if it was nailed on or something kwwazy like that

·
has left the building
7,217 Posts
Pull the old ones off & go buy new ones, for God's sake. P/N is 74430-SP0-A00. Clean around where they're going to be installed and follow the process I suggested. Would you rather spend $22 for 2 new protectors or $2K to have rust removed & fixed?

Kinda like buying a condom to prevent AIDS. May not be the most convenient thing to do at the time but you'll be glad you did.

·
Banned
2,425 Posts
Kinda like buying a condom to prevent AIDS. May not be the most convenient thing to do at the time but you'll be glad you did.
condoms are overrated...the old pull out and spew always works for me ;) :giggle:

·
SGM / Type F
3,653 Posts
Only on A-L.com can a thread go from rear wheel well rust prevention to jimmy hats and VD's in 3 posts!!! :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts