Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question to u guys w/springs and low profile tires (225/40/17 or 18) is how's the riding comfort? Also how's the riding noise? Would u say it rides as smooth as when it was stock? I know the traction must b great and a must for speeding. Thanks.

Latin.............

·
Registered
702 Posts
all depends where you are driving....smooth roads are the best...but when i'm the city here (washington dc) i can't stand driving with my low prifile 17's because of all the potholes and fu**ed up streets here. and i prefer having my stock tires on for burnouts so i don't kill my rubber on the low profiles. i hit a crucial pothole the other day speeding of course at like 50mph and the result was two busted turn signal lamps that i had to replace!

can't wait till spring rolls around so i can throw the 17's back on.

·
Registered
120 Posts
DaTimez420 said:
all depends where you are driving....smooth roads are the best...but when i'm the city here (washington dc) i can't stand driving with my low prifile 17's because of all the potholes and fu**ed up streets here. and i prefer having my stock tires on for burnouts so i don't kill my rubber on the low profiles. i hit a crucial pothole the other day speeding of course at like 50mph and the result was two busted turn signal lamps that i had to replace!

can't wait till spring rolls around so i can throw the 17's back on.
I know what you mean about DC roads. I just started going to a client site in DC 3 days a week. You have to watch for every crevice in the road while driving. It's horrible with 17's and lowered.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had 215/35/18s Yokohama Paradas, and the tires had extra sidewall reinforcement for the potholes, but you know, it still doesnt help when you have no choice but to go over the pothole. The 215/35/18s were really nice looking, the road noise is your least concern, worry about killing your tires and taking sharp turns cuz most tires at 215/35/18 can't support G2 Legend Sedans cuz the G2s are too heavy. I killed my Paradas after a year of racing and daily driving (40 miles a day or more). My tires developed "knots" and started to have "shreading" wear cuz the low profile with a heavy car isnt good or strong enough for the momentum. I bent up all 4 of my rims (very slightly, but still, it's annoying when you buy 18" rims just 2 years ago). The handling and grip are at it's best when you lower the profile. The size I have now are 225/40/18 using Kumho Supra Etscas. The control isnt all that great, but the ride smoothess is a lot better. The road noise is based off from mostly the tread design. The tires can handle the weight load of the car, so I dont get knots or a sheering/shreading affect on the tires. I dont mind the road noise, but if you are, you can opt for the Yokohama DBS tires. If I had to choose a size, I would get the 235/35/18 tires and get some 7.5" wide rims. Just be sure to have a high offset rim of 45mm+ or more.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Kumho's Ride???

xenonk said:
I had 215/35/18s Yokohama Paradas, and the tires had extra sidewall reinforcement for the potholes, but you know, it still doesnt help when you have no choice but to go over the pothole. The 215/35/18s were really nice looking, the road noise is your least concern, worry about killing your tires and taking sharp turns cuz most tires at 215/35/18 can't support G2 Legend Sedans cuz the G2s are too heavy. I killed my Paradas after a year of racing and daily driving (40 miles a day or more). My tires developed "knots" and started to have "shreading" wear cuz the low profile with a heavy car isnt good or strong enough for the momentum. I bent up all 4 of my rims (very slightly, but still, it's annoying when you buy 18" rims just 2 years ago). The handling and grip are at it's best when you lower the profile. The size I have now are 225/40/18 using Kumho Supra Etscas. The control isnt all that great, but the ride smoothess is a lot better. The road noise is based off from mostly the tread design. The tires can handle the weight load of the car, so I dont get knots or a sheering/shreading affect on the tires. I dont mind the road noise, but if you are, you can opt for the Yokohama DBS tires. If I had to choose a size, I would get the 235/35/18 tires and get some 7.5" wide rims. Just be sure to have a high offset rim of 45mm+ or more.
I upgraded to 17 inch rims back in January (mid winter in DC, not smart) and Kumho Ecsta 711 215-45/17, along with KYB shocks. To be honest, the tires are great, expecially for the price I paid. However, the ride is now pretty harsh, especially on bumpy roads and I have a fair (not horrible) amount of road noise.

Is the harsh ride due to the low profile of the tires, so I will get a harsh ride with any tires of that size? Or could I get a better brand of tire and improve my ride? Do the KYB's have anything to do with it?

Just trying to improve my ride as best I can.

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts