Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all...

I'm not sure about how or when to use NOS.. What I mean is,
do you spray it when you get to the top gear and then hold the button down ? or start spraying from the get go??

Sorry for the dumn ?. I have no idea on this :confused:

·
88 sleeper
1,159 Posts
SEDAN91 said:
Hey all...

I'm not sure about how or when to use NOS.. What I mean is,
do you spray it when you get to the top gear and then hold the button down ? or start spraying from the get go??

Sorry for the dumn ?. I have no idea on this :confused:
My answer might sound a little halfazzed...but, you use it whenever you want :)

There's different setups one how to engage the nitrous. you can do the Gone in 60 Seconds setup where it is basically on a momentary switch. activates when button is pushed..blah blah blah. etc

Mine's setup on a full throttle switch & it has a master arm switch by my foglight switch....basically. i turn the rocker switch on....& whenever im @ WOT the nitrous flows...& flows until i let off on the gas.

Generally you dont want to engage nitrous under 2500 RPM.
& NOS'n in 5th gear is just wasting the nitrous.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Re: Re: When do you use NOS ??

RICDOGG said:

My answer might sound a little halfazzed...but, you use it whenever you want :)

There's different setups one how to engage the nitrous. you can do the Gone in 60 Seconds setup where it is basically on a momentary switch. activates when button is pushed..blah blah blah. etc

Mine's setup on a full throttle switch & it has a master arm switch by my foglight switch....basically. i turn the rocker switch on....& whenever im @ WOT the nitrous flows...& flows until i let off on the gas.

Hey Ricdogg, I have the same setup on my Legend. Do you use an RPM activator switch or do you just not go full throttle off the launch? I'm trying to figure out the best way to launch and could use some advice. BTW, congrats on that 14.5! That's awsome!

-GR

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Re: When do you use NOS ??

RICDOGG said:

Hi Ricdogg..

So in your setup, if you punch the gas Full throttle from the start,
the NOS kicks in ??
I have an auto trans, that means NOS is spraying 1st, 2nd, 3rd,
4th gears ??
Is that harmful to the eng ??

It sound like a great setup tho..

Thanks for your HELP..

·
Registered
191 Posts
infinite said:
In my friends throttle set up he just launches hard then when he is above 3K rpm he flips the master switch.
I was also thinking of trying that but would the nitrous response be instant if you did that? Seems like there would be some lag.

-GR

·
88 sleeper
1,159 Posts
Re: Re: Re: When do you use NOS ??

GenIILegend said:

Hey Ricdogg, I have the same setup on my Legend. Do you use an RPM activator switch or do you just not go full throttle off the launch? I'm trying to figure out the best way to launch and could use some advice. BTW, congrats on that 14.5! That's awsome!

-GR
I am not currently using an RPM activated switch. I will be utilizing an MSD Window swich in the near future, but i'm not disclosing how or why im using it. yet....

As far as launching in my car. I've dropped the clutch @ 2500, & floored it when the clutch grabbed, & havent experienced any problems...in fact engaging NOS at launch is giving me my best 60' times. keep in mind the 14.5 is just a start. i havent even got a launch that works great yet. Im still in search of the 2.2-60'

I'm still not satisfied with the 14.5....i will be in the 13's by the end of this year.

·
88 sleeper
1,159 Posts
Re: Re: Re: When do you use NOS ??

SEDAN91 said:

Hi Ricdogg..

So in your setup, if you punch the gas Full throttle from the start,
the NOS kicks in ??
I have an auto trans, that means NOS is spraying 1st, 2nd, 3rd,
4th gears ??
Is that harmful to the eng ??

It sound like a great setup tho..

Thanks for your HELP..
Havent had any problems while NOS'n in first. ive only had nitrous in for 2-3months or so, so im still learning the ways of the bottle

I have a G1 5speed, so i couldnt tell you much more, other than refer you to Dv8. he has a G2 Auto tranny & uses NOS, but as far as i know he hasnt had any problems with it...

·
88 sleeper
1,159 Posts
GenIILegend said:

I was also thinking of trying that but would the nitrous response be instant if you did that? Seems like there would be some lag.

-GR
Lag is about as long as it takes you to blink. The problem i found in launching my car (5spd) is that when i dump the clutch i floor the throttle, which in turn causes the wheels to start spinning. so i end up having to feather the throttle till about 2500-3000 rpm.

if there was a switch on the shifter i could engage it after I launch so i dont have to feather at all & can run flat out the whole time.

& my master arm switch is by my left knee. so id have hands juggling all over the place, flipping switches...shifting, holding the wheel straight... RPM activated switch would solve alot of the problems & i will have a system that utilizes them

If you are wondering what the difference between a window switch & an rpm activated switch..heres some links that might clear it up for you

RPM Activated Window Switch
http://www.msdignition.com/1rpmacc.htm#anchor66948

RPM Activated Switch
http://www.msdignition.com/1rpmacc.htm#anchor63270

·
Registered
191 Posts
Wow, that pretty much answered all my questions. Thanks for the help, the only thing i have to figure out now is what accessories I need to have my nitrous running at full potential (i.e. bottle warmer, pressure gauge).

-GR

BTW, how often do you go out to Sac raceway? I plan on heading out there sometime and if I do I wanna make sure I meet some fellow Legend owners.

·
88 sleeper
1,159 Posts
GenIILegend said:
Wow, that pretty much answered all my questions. Thanks for the help, the only thing i have to figure out now is what accessories I need to have my nitrous running at full potential (i.e. bottle warmer, pressure gauge).

-GR

BTW, how often do you go out to Sac raceway? I plan on heading out there sometime and if I do I wanna make sure I meet some fellow Legend owners.
I usually go every other week or so....wifeys due on the 27th so im not sure if im gonna be frequenting the raceway much this month....Sears Pointe is closer to you tho, & Dv8 is almost always there....& he has the 13 second G2

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
RICDOGG said:

Lag is about as long as it takes you to blink. The problem i found in launching my car (5spd) is that when i dump the clutch i floor the throttle, which in turn causes the wheels to start spinning. so i end up having to feather the throttle till about 2500-3000 rpm.

if there was a switch on the shifter i could engage it after I launch so i dont have to feather at all & can run flat out the whole time.

& my master arm switch is by my left knee. so id have hands juggling all over the place, flipping switches...shifting, holding the wheel straight... RPM activated switch would solve alot of the problems & i will have a system that utilizes them

If you are wondering what the difference between a window switch & an rpm activated switch..heres some links that might clear it up for you

RPM Activated Window Switch
http://www.msdignition.com/1rpmacc.htm#anchor66948

RPM Activated Switch
http://www.msdignition.com/1rpmacc.htm#anchor63270
My friend has got his switch right by his shifter, so he launches, flips the switch, and his hand is right back on the shifter.

The lag is pretty unnoticeable. He has got it in his protege and he can keep up with my GS, so I think he has got his launch technique down. ;)

·
Registered
191 Posts
RICDOGG said:
genIIlegend

what jets are you using to get the 75 shot?
That's an excellent question to which I don't know the answer. How would I go about finding that out? There's a lot of stuff I don't know about tuning the system that I would like to know. This is part of the reason I wanna meet up with you or Dv8 sometime at the track (since y'all seem to be so damn knowledgable on the topic).

-GR

·
Life Ruiner
4,701 Posts
Ah Nitrous,
im so sick of it.
I want POWER thats always there.
ive shot 77 10lbs bottles of NOS in 3 yrs thats $3000+

Its easy to run fast with NOS-but if you go overboard your engine will suffer.

when you learn about how to use nos you can run fast by using a safe about. people think that to run faster they up the shot-Wrong! thers plenty u can do to make the nos you already have work more efficiently.
those are my secrets i dont share:D

All Motor [email protected] CAI,Exhaust,chip.
NOS [email protected] shot MAX

~Hybrid

·
Registered
109 Posts
Dv8 said:
Ah Nitrous,
im so sick of it.
I want POWER thats always there.
ive shot 77 10lbs bottles of NOS in 3 yrs thats $3000+

Its easy to run fast with NOS-but if you go overboard your engine will suffer.

when you learn about how to use nos you can run fast by using a safe about. people think that to run faster they up the shot-Wrong! thers plenty u can do to make the nos you already have work more efficiently.
those are my secrets i dont share:D

All Motor [email protected] CAI,Exhaust,chip.
NOS [email protected] shot MAX

~Hybrid
Dang, all your power is right off the line then DV8 cuz a [email protected] is kinda low on the trap speed (correct me if Im wrong) so you must be gettin bad azz 60' times and taking off like a bat outta hell from the get go...hrmmm.....hope my new tires will do the trick for me :D

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Not to be a smartass, but you're talking about using Nitous on a Leged (I know, DV8's setup is quite admirable)... but if you ask me, I think (IN MY OPINION, no arguing here guys...) that you can do a lot with the Legend motor as NA, and that it's just plain cheating and laziness if you're wanting to slap a NOS kit on there and call it a day... again, just my opinion... engines should be able to turn good power out on their own, not with the help of the bottle... I'm just a drifter though, so what would I know?

·
Life Ruiner
4,701 Posts
95Legend6Spd said:
Not to be a smartass, but you're talking about using Nitous on a Leged (I know, DV8's setup is quite admirable)... but if you ask me, I think (IN MY OPINION, no arguing here guys...) that you can do a lot with the Legend motor as NA, and that it's just plain cheating and laziness if you're wanting to slap a NOS kit on there and call it a day... again, just my opinion... engines should be able to turn good power out on their own, not with the help of the bottle... I'm just a drifter though, so what would I know?
i probably could raise the compression and get some fatter cams but N/A is The most Expensive form of engine building.

i dont care muh for that.

Past acura owner

My 60 ft time are good but nowhere near what they could be 2.280 were the 13.7 runs-my 13.60 was a 2.232.

if i dropped that number down to a 2.0 then it would be crazy. I need more flow up top to get any faster- i.e. headers:D

Im still seeing 12.9 in the near future.

~Hybrid

·
Registered
159 Posts
I know absolutely nothing about using NOS....but i have seen what i thought was kewl set-up on a NSX when i worked for a dealership.

The NSX owner had 3 switches in the ashtray spot. I don't know what they did, but to actually use the NOS he would use the 3 switches and engage it with the horn button on the steering wheel. When the switches where off the horn would work normally. I think i remember this to be the setup.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts