Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well right now my car is black with tan leather...i'm painting it red next year...i want to go red and black seats, but the tan in the carpeting i think will look bad. so if i go black it won't looks as bad. i wish that my car would've been black on black then i wouldn't have to go through the trouble. or maybe red on tan seats?? the carpeting isn't bad enough that it needs replacing immediatly...along the passenger side entry it is torn a little. i figure if i'm going to do something do it right

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Just a thought here but I think it would be somewhat reasonable for a custom carpet from an upholstery shop of some kind. If you went in there, picked out your carpet and ordered enough in, and then when the carpet comes in you could leave your car with them for a day while they strip your car and cut it to fit. I bet it would be only about $300-$500. You would hope though that you could get the similar color and texture to the OEM ones

·
Registered
135 Posts
where you guys say carpet you guys meant the floor not the mats rite?? cause i was thinking of making mines black too, but havent have the chance of going to a shop to check the pricing, or even finding one. If you guys have done this process can you info me on the price? and maybe pictures of these done. thanks alot legend people

·
Registered
146 Posts
hey Leon,
how and what did you use to dye the carpets. did you have to take out all the seats? what type of product did you use?

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
OEM carpeting is moulded. Aftermarket (unless you can find one specific to the Legend) isn't. Aftermarket often doesn't have the padding. In order to install non-moulded carpet you need to glue it in place. Best to "bite the bullet" and buy a replacement OEM at discount.

·
502MotorSports.com
9,296 Posts
chlo3 said:
hey Leon,
how and what did you use to dye the carpets. did you have to take out all the seats? what type of product did you use?
Chloe,
being that I redid my whole interior, my carpet was the weakest link, so I pulled my seats out again, and cleaned, vaccuumed my interior, then used RIT dye, found in any Walmart or Target.
70/30 mixture RIT/Water and a lil salt. I did this outside of the car....so I took my time and dyed it over a one week period to ensure no problems.

Looks awesome....no one can tell, at the last meet everyone asked where did I buy my carpet from? BTW, finding black carpet in good condition for a coupe is hard as it is, and IF you do, they want you to purchase the entire interior....not worth it to me, since I recovered my seats in new leather...this was a very inexpensive alternative, considering that one grand would not have looked any better, and did not performance addition to my car...I would rather spend that on headers or something along those lines
* (DV8 where u at?) *

·
Registered
146 Posts
one other question Leon or 92coupeon18s, how do you apply the dye to the carpet? with a spray bottle, paint brush or what?

·
Registered
113 Posts
After that did you brush it in? I had that dye and returned it because I did not know how to apply it (I got scared). Thinking of dying my carpet tan. Think it will work?

·
502MotorSports.com
9,296 Posts
only way to get it is dealer/junk yard.

trust me, I tried for over a year.

Too apply, spray it, brush it, let dry...use a semi-soft scrub brush until all the fibers are saturated. let dry in sun. I am thinking about applying a scotchguard or something..but its been 3 mos no problems :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.