Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading about bulbs and superwhite bulbs and i think that based on how many times you have to replace the Bulbs, i will be better off getting the real thing. where can i get a complete set/kit of HID lights for my 1991 L?

thank you

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
autolamps is over-rated and over-priced.
i'm sure a lot of the members with the K2 kit or the korean kit will agree. i've seen the k2 kit and the autolamp 6000k side by side and the only difference was the 200 dollar price difference.
this is my 2 cents. u'r welcome to buy anything you want. when i put in my 8000k k2 kit, i'll show you.

-j

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I agree with Jae, I'll put up my K2 bulbs up against anyone's Autolamps kit. Cost about $200 less than Autolamps. I guess people had some problem with the earlier K2 ballasts. That's why I'm running phillips ballasters with k2 bulbs:)

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
WhiteLegend said:
I agree with Jae, I'll put up my K2 bulbs up against anyone's Autolamps kit. Cost about $200 less than Autolamps. I guess people had some problem with the earlier K2 ballasts. That's why I'm running phillips ballasters with k2 bulbs:)

Yes, that is the only think I didn't like about the K2 was the ballast. I don't have K2 myself, I have Xenon Lamps Co kits, but the one thing I like about the K2 or others is that the parts are interchangeable. You can use the ballast and ignitors from another brand. As for as autolamps, at least the one PJ got from the group buy here, the HID bulb is hard wired to the connector and fits the autolamps modified ballast only. If you need a new bulb, you have to get it from autolamps, if you needed a new ballast, you have to get it from autolamps.

While the K2 HID might be different from my HID bulb, I bet we could swap bulbs with no problem. I couldn't do this with the autolamps kit in PJs car since their HID bulb is hardwired.

Also, when I took PJs autolamps HID bulb out, I compared it to mine and found that his looked to be an uncorrected HID bulb. In otherwords, if you compared the gas pocket locations to mine and to an halogen bulb, his was further out to the tip where mine where equal with a halogen. I also compared mine to an OEM D2s that I have sitting around and mine are definately sitting further back than OEM. It looks to me that the kit PJ got from autolamps is uncorrected, or the sent him the wrong kit. Sure, the base fit the 9006, but that means nothing.

However, that is just my observation on that one autolamps kit that I happen to take a look at.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
WhiteLegend said:

The price of the autolamps kit is $579 with free shipping. Is the K2 6000K kit $379 or $450 Shipped?

From what I seen, both kits appear to look the same and perform about the same. But the difference is customer service and a warranty. Autolamps stand behind their products 100% and that is invaluable. They have replaced bulbs, ballisters, harnesses, etc. for customers free of charge regardless of age. Unsatisifed, return it and they'll send you a full refund. They will do whatever it takes to make you satified. On a forum (philips) that seen every HID retro. on the market, one name still is considered the above the rest and that cannot be ignored.

Still feel there over-rated? Feel free to ask the guru's:

http://www.lighting.philips.com/forum/forum_6/messages/35777.shtml

This statement will always hold true: You get what you pay for - buyer beware.

PS - If PJ needs help with his kit, concerns, question or possibily has the wrong bulbs tell him to e-mail [email protected] and put it attention Nick, it will be resolved.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
exactly. you get what you pay for but my point was that the new k2 kits are good enough. as for customer service, if you buy them from the right dealer, you'll get pretty good customer service. the provide a warranty as well as free replacements on DOA products. i wouldn't have recommended the kit if i had no experience with them. i'veinstalled these kits on 3 cars and they look great. no problems so far.
-j

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
The k2 bulbs are hardwired just like the autolamps kit. Any ballaster will work with any lamp, but some you need to do some custom work. My ballaster were phillips with the the big red plug, I cut the plug off and inside is just a positive and negative wire, just solder some connectors on them, it's all good.

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
WhiteLegend said:
The k2 bulbs are hardwired just like the autolamps kit. Any ballaster will work with any lamp, but some you need to do some custom work. My ballaster were phillips with the the big red plug, I cut the plug off and inside is just a positive and negative wire, just solder some connectors on them, it's all good.
I didn't know that abou the K2 being hardwired as well. With mine, I can actually use OEM HID bulbs with my ballast if I needed to, or even use the OEM ballast with my HIDs. It uses the same center pin circle connector. I guess I am not too worried about customer service as my friend was the owner of the company so I'm taken car of for life even though he no longer sells them pupblically :)

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
So do any one know if the Ballast on the K2 kit been rectified, corrected, fixed, updated etc. I'm not trying to do all of these modifications to HID's just to get them to work, thats why I haven't bought any yet, but waited for them to be more user friendly. Those of you with the K2 kits have you had any problems with their ballast so far? and how long have you had them? based on your response will determine my purchase.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
RenoG said:
So do any one know if the Ballast on the K2 kit been rectified, corrected, fixed, updated etc. I'm not trying to do all of these modifications to HID's just to get them to work, thats why I haven't bought any yet, but waited for them to be more user friendly. Those of you with the K2 kits have you had any problems with their ballast so far? and how long have you had them? based on your response will determine my purchase.
HIDs now are as user friendly as replacement bulbs, they're a breeze to put in. You only have to modify a little sometimes not all the time if your using bulbs that are of a different brand than ballasts. I've had my K2 bulbs for 3 month now, no problems, but one my phillips ballast blew and had to get a new one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.