Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Who is THE MASTER?!
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i am trying to decide on which buffer i should buy. so far i heard and seen reviews on what are the good random orbital buffers out there. i will list them in order with 1 being the best... please share you thoughts and opinions

1) Flex 3401 $280
2) meguiars g110 $150
3) ultimate detailing machine $150
4) porter cable 7424 $110

Ive heard astounding reviews on the flex 3401 on how it pretty much acts like a rotory because it takes half the time. ive also heard that it elimates alot of defects in the paint.

·
Rebuilding :(
4,727 Posts
in all honesty I would start with UMD, PC or Meguiars buffer first as the flex works quicker then these units. By doing so you would get an idea what you would be in for and the results are still really good with these machines. Though i have heard many good things about the flex, i have also heard the quicker cutting times can make beginners a little more accident prone (because they dont know what to look for.) Although, it is nice to only put the money down once for a tool

·
Who is THE MASTER?!
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes this will be my first time using a random orbital buffer. from what I read the flex will not burn the paint and since im spending all this money I would rather just spend it all and buy one product that will last me a long time and I won't need another one to produce the results that I desire. what kind of polish do you recommend? I was reading on some detail forums about how lake country is one of the best pads and that a polish that starts with a M model# p803 is good for taking out swirls.

any thoughts on this?

·
4,727 Posts
While its nice to think that no buffer can ruin paint, its a common misconception they try to get people to believe. Hell you can ruin your paint by hand too. Let me give you an example. I have painted pinstripe on my car, with my PC I was able to remove parts of it with polish. But the flex from what I have heard is a great machine, and it might be a good thing to learn on that.

As far as polish, im a meguiars polish and pad kind of guy myself. Check out autodetailingsolutions.com they got some good there.

·
Banned
2,475 Posts
lake country are the best pads....I would start out with a PC 7424, you can't mess up your finish with it, I don't care what people say. As a test I held my PC on my Infiniti fender for 10min, no paint damage, paint lift or anything

And I would stay away from Meguiar's products....Adam's makes good products (and they are a vendor here) as well as Poor Boy's, Menzerna, etc...

·
4,727 Posts
lake country are the best pads....I would start out with a PC 7424, you can't mess up your finish with it, I don't care what people say. As a test I held my PC on my Infiniti fender for 10min, no paint damage, paint lift or anything

And I would stay away from Meguiar's products....Adam's makes good products (and they are a vendor here) as well as Poor Boy's, Menzerna, etc...
Why? Have you used their mirror glaze line or are you going off the assumption of their OTC products?

If you have not tried it, you cannot say not to try it.

·
Banned
2,475 Posts
Why? Have you used their mirror glaze line or are you going off the assumption of their OTC products?

If you have not tried it, you cannot say not to try it.
you mean the stuff in the bottle or the paste in the can? either way, not a fan...... (that stuff is more body shop grade if anything....)

·
Who is THE MASTER?!
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
after reading a lot of articles and detail forums i decided to go with the

1) flex xc3401vrg buffer
2) menzerna intense polish PO83
3)menzerna finishing polish PO106FF
4) lake country pads white, black, yellow, blue, and orange.
5) meguiars 2.0 wax
6) meguiars clay bar kit

i should be doing this next week and i will very detailed pics about my process.

the process i have in mind is wash, clay, polish, final polish, and 2 coats of wax.

what you guys think? Anything that you guys want to add or think i should do differently?

·
Registered
865 Posts
5) meguiars 2.0 wax
what you guys think? Anything that you guys want to add or think i should do differently?
very, very nice choice! I love to have that setup... but Porter Cable will do.

I'm a NXT 2.0 user as well until recently tried the Adam's Buttery Wax. Adam's delivers a more glossy shine.

·
Registered
144 Posts
very, very nice choice! I love to have that setup... but Porter Cable will do.

I'm a NXT 2.0 user as well until recently tried the Adam's Buttery Wax. Adam's delivers a more glossy shine.
The Buttery Wax really is meant for hand polishing - the Machine Polish and Machine Superwax were formulated specifically for a random orbital buffer :thumbsup:

-Jason

·
Registered
144 Posts
Good to know. Thanks Jason. And yes, I applied buttery wax the old fashion way.

But curiously, what's the difference between buttery wax and Superwax? Does one last longer than the other?
Machine Superwax is forumlated differently to work with a machine. It has more solids built in for more protection and does last a tad longer :bigok:

·
Registered
249 Posts
after reading a lot of articles and detail forums i decided to go with the

1) flex xc3401vrg buffer
2) menzerna intense polish PO83
3)menzerna finishing polish PO106FF
4) lake country pads white, black, yellow, blue, and orange.
5) meguiars 2.0 wax
6) meguiars clay bar kit

i should be doing this next week and i will very detailed pics about my process.

the process i have in mind is wash, clay, polish, final polish, and 2 coats of wax.

unless your car is in really bad shape, i dont think you will need a yellow pad. with the menzerna SIP, there really hasnt been any flaws that i havent been able to remove with an orang pad. i was using a PC too.

·
Mr. X (aka #5)
4,591 Posts
also like to add that for a beginner you should start with the least cutting action pad and polish (A), then if that doesn't do what you were looking for, step up the polish to more cutting(B), if that doesn't work, step up pad and use polish A again. you keep stepping up in this manner until you reach the desired results in a 2ftx2ft area, so as not to waste 6 hours on a car and realize that you didn't penetrate deep enough and still have nasty swirls.

·
Mr. Couper
1,139 Posts
The best advice that I can give you is to take time out of your busy schedule and watch a professional detail a car. You can have the best machines and best polishes and get the worst results if you can't apply them properly. Before you invest any money or waste time ruining your car...watch a pro do it.

After nearly 2 years of owning my own detail company, I'm still learning new things. Most companies are brilliant at marketing (as you will find out shortly), but there are a few quality products that work wonders if applied correctly.

·
NALM '20 Seattle dreaming
2,260 Posts
The best advice that I can give you is to take time out of your busy schedule and watch a professional detail a car. You can have the best machines and best polishes and get the worst results if you can't apply them properly. Before you invest any money or waste time ruining your car...watch a pro do it.

After nearly 2 years of owning my own detail company, I'm still learning new things. Most companies are brilliant at marketing (as you will find out shortly), but there are a few quality products that work wonders if applied correctly.
thanks for the advice... I've been to Griot's open house and did watch a few different demos.

If you like, would you PM me what you are currently using?

There are just SOOOOOOO MANY products out there, that I'm sure everyone has a different favorite.

thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.