Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm looking at getting a single sub to put in a band pass. I want to get a 12' I have a 15' MTX 6000 but it turned out to be too big for my trunk (the box) so I'm just going to trade it or sell it, or something.

I have the MTX amp I foreget the model # but its that new mono block one thats rated at 750W so I wish to get a high powered Sub. My budget max for the woofer alone is 200 bucks I don't see a need to spend anymore than that.
Oh and something that has a nice basket (cast) if possible seeing that the box has that plexi-glass thing going, what about rockford, MTX 8000, Audiobauhn?? I got the cash I just need you all's suggestions before I spend.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Personally i like the sealed box thump myself, i luv the sound of low low base. sounds great for changing music types like me, for when i want the thumping of hip-hop or the bass-line sounds of industrial rock, or the instruments of merengue or salsa, I got power accoustics 12" woofers with a sealed MTX box, and a cheap profile amp powering them for now, but it'll get upgraded in time, it's only putting out like 200w to each and i've got 400w to go on each:D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey i have a 12" Cerwin Vega VEGA124 on Ebay right now. I had it in a ported box in my car and it hit really well with 200Watts going to it. Some people dont like them much, but I think they are a good sub. It just has a plain black basket with Cerwin Vega on the magnet. It was $200 new, if you want it its yours for $100 + shipping. I only used it for like 4 months. Let me know...

91coupeLS

Black on Black
eibach pro-kit springs
Koni shocks
clear bumper lights
euro clear corner lights
12" Kicker Solo-Baric
alpine V12 amp
one farrad lightning capacitor
alpine 6 disc
soon to come...
custom intake
remus exhaust
145,000 miles and still going strong!

·
Registered
629 Posts
A friend of mine had 2 Kenwood "tornado" 10s in a probend bandpass box, hit like crazy, but the box was pretty close to a one note wonder. The main 6x8's were crossed over low to try to make up for the box. I believe if he tuned it right, it would be incredible. The box could be heard from a block away while inside a building. btw he got those on a 2 for 1 deal they run at BestBuy. Maybe 1 Kenwood tornado 12" would do it, plus they are dirt cheap. I have a Pioneer premier 10" in a sealed box, with about 110x1 going to it, and its great. Good bass inside the car, a little outside, which is the way I want it. After getting one system stolen, I'm going low key.

·
Registered
248 Posts
band pass is not my personal favorite either,mainly becusae of the complexity in design (prefab boxes rarely sound good), and large area.

but perjaps the best sounding sub I have heard in a band pass enclousre is the OZ audio power vectors...

www.ozaudio.com...a bit pricey though.

I alos like the idea of a custom built sub box...

I got a idq15 that I can build you a sealed sub box for and you can send it all of 750 watts and it will mostlikely output the 12" bandpass box you are thinking about :) and sound MUCH better :eek:

b

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IDQ15 does that translate into a 15' woofer that would eat up to much trunk for me and when you say custom box to fit my trunk what do mean, getting rid of my spare or something or utilizing the side pouch in the trunk a basic box what? and what kinda $$$ are we talking.

·
Registered
449 Posts
hey RenoG IDQ15's are some very clean and hard hitting subs. Most people wouldn't know IDQ aka Image Dynamics cause you'll have to go to authorized stores for these stuff. When most people shop they normaly head into the good guys or CC, best buys ect for their audio component so all they'll know is sony, kenwood, RF mtx and stuff like that. Bing knows his stuff man with a single 15 in the trunk of a legend is nothing. It'll fit just right. I was thinking 2 15's at one point. With the box made correctly you'll have more space with a single 15 than you would with a pair of 12's.

·
Registered
248 Posts
well, there is really two ways a idq15 can be custom fitted to a legends trunk, I have tried since I once stuck TWO of the in my truck for ****s and giggles and ran them off of 1800 watts :)

anyhow, onew ay is a fiberglass spare tire well enclosure, you loose you spare tire and gain a sub enclosure, but I would say the best way for me to do that is to build it and hav eyou come down so i can put it in the car, because the fake floor I would build on top of that and the enclosure would be uh ridcilulous to try and ship.

I would charge including the sub, 375-400ish to build this kind of enclousre.

the other way, is a nice fiberglass box sthat sits int eh narrower part in the frotn of the trunk, here is an example of what one loosk like:

the onyl differnce is that the box I would build would not sit as far out and take up as much trunk space becuse the idq is a much shallower sub than the eclipse titanium...

I basicallyw would beild it mostly out of fiberglass, sand it smooth, prime it, ship it to you so you can get it painted. the cose for this would be something around 600 including shipping due to the large amount of sanding that will be needed.

thats all :)
b

·
Registered
248 Posts
oh never mind you are in cali, forget about the coming down part, well, for the turnk encloure I can build box with a pretty small top board, but you would have to finish the custom fake floor yopurself or have a shop do it...

b

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is beautiful man, did you do that, Wow you have mad stupid skills kid. Well I think I'm going to just go to my local beat shop and see what they can do for me I kinda want to stay with MTX since I have the amp but dang 249 bucks for the new 12' 8000 (800RMS 1000peak watts)that is some money, it catches me by about 50bucks over budget, maybe if I flash the cash they'll let me have. So how much do the IDQ12 go for, is it the about the same?

·
Registered
248 Posts
no I didnt do that, tho I am definetly capable of doing soething like that, its not too complex...I am building a subwoofer enclosure/amp rack for a s-10 that has much more curves than that :)

if you go to a shop make sure its a good one, a bad one will charge you up the ass AND do a bad job, I would estimate for a fiberglass box a shop would charge you 500 bucks alone for labor, if not more...where as I charge 300 :)

an idq12 I would say is comprable with the mtx, though it would sound better but only to my years, and get about the same loudness, the mtx 8000s are not known to be spl subs...i would take an idq over the mtx...:)

b

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok I went to my local beat shop, and I explained to them what I wanted and that I listen to mostly R&B and jazz and that I like it strong and clear and I don't want to worry about blowing it with that power house amp I got. I remember going to a db drag and being impressed with the looks and sounds of Audiobaun and this shop had the latest model (one stunning woofer I must say) So I inquired about that one and of course he highly recommeded the 12' 1000watt (alum12Q) but in a sealed box not a bandpass. get this $349.99 retail ooooouuuccchhhh!!!!!
he promised that If I went with it or any 1000watt woof really, it would satisfy all my woofin needs and then some, and since I have a quality powerful amp It would be a shame to wast it on anything less (typical sales pitch blah blah blah) this woofer was 100 bucks more than the MTX8000 1000watter (really 900watts) I was looking at. So I gave him my pitch, since he did all my previous work on my car and I brought him much much business. I told him 200 bucks and I'll have him intall it and the amp. So I have the 1000watt Audiobaun now. All I have to say is DDDDDDaaaaaaannnnnggggggg!!!! a single 1000watt sub is out of this worllllldddddd!!!! have you heard one Geeeeezzzzzz....I had to turn the gain wayyyy down and the volume down on the on the decks sub out, I'm trying to keep my eardrums. I'm in love....

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Man if you do you will hurt youself, Just have a good powerful amp though nothin cheap man, otherwise you'll end up replacing something, a 1000watt sub ain't no joke, you can turn the sub volume all the way up and turn the deck volume up up and up and that woofer will just pound louder and louder, no distortion or nothin just more tight heavy controled bass that just gets louder I still can't believe it, I'm not use to this type of power, I'm use to hearing my subs clip or go stale after a certain volume level. Not these or I should say not this sub. (I only have one).
Now I have one problem. Rattles, never had them before with my old beat. (kicker solo baric) So I got under my car with the music going to locate the rattling which sounds to be coming from the rear left driver side pannel inbetween gas tank lid and power antenna right above the bumper molding. I fixed the lic plate.
Should I dynamate the trunk or use that roofing material? Vent the back deck what would help?

For those of you who like volume and don't want to worry about sub clipping. a 1000watt sub is one sure way to go (its what all the pro's go with at DB drags now, per installer a db dragger), I'll never get anything less ever again I'll just save my money until I can buy one, its worth it. If you can afford it get one........or two.

PS. I all most forgot this sub is in a Qlogic box, have you seen one, nice and small, not all big.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Man dude that sub is freakin 499.99 I priced it, the one thing I learned in doing some reserch on them (Audiobahn) is that the power is true what I mean is that if its a 1000watt sub then its a 1000watt sub or 1200 watts sub thats why I didn't go with the MTX again, the 8000 says 1000 watts but really its only 800-900 peak. I haven't tested how far away you can hear me yet I'm kinda caught up trying to fix the rattles. Soon as I get a chance I'll get my moms digi cam snap some pics.

·
Registered
248 Posts
audiobahn has a history of being, all show, no go, but it seems like someone over there really got their acts together for 2001, as their new stuff are quite good.

post osme pics...:)

b

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah thats what my installer was telling me too, infact he was thinking about dropping the line, but this year he said that the improvements was so dang impressive he decided to keep them on. Their one of his hottest sellers now, He's getting ready to do a DB dragster with them in the next month for this rich guy he tells me. Also the company only been around for like 2 - 3 or so years and for the type of improvements that such a young company are making is awesome and for that reason he says he no longer have any plans of dropping them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.