Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
I'm too sexy for my car
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of setting up my stereo system and want to know what you guys think of the following subs. The MTX thunder6000 series, Rockford Fosgate HX2 or HE2? Let me know what you guys think or know of anything better.

·
Premium Member
9,173 Posts
gAmEs0n said:
loud -> those amps will do
quality -> PPI, soundstream
he's talking about subs though:confused:

The Rockford Fosgate HE2's I've heard sounded really good, but both of the cars I"ve heard them in had very nice amplifiers (1 had PPI, the other had Rockford Punch Power series amps) I would suggest you check out Orion HCCA subs or MA Audio's top of the line subs. I've actually had both of those and had really good luck with them. If you want to stick with the Rockford's, then make sure you power them accordingly.

·
2,879 Posts
IMHO I think the rockfords are a bit too boomy. If you like it like that then ok but I prefer tighter bass rather the something boomy.

I have a pair of JL Audio 2x 10W3's in a sealed box. They're pretty good considering I'm using ****ty amps and a stock head unit. They should sound much better if hooked up to a nice amp and head unit i think...

Triton3K said:
I'm in the process of setting up my stereo system and want to know what you guys think of the following subs. The MTX thunder6000 series, Rockford Fosgate HX2 or HE2? Let me know what you guys think or know of anything better.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
I also prefer tighter bass and recomend the JLs W3 or W6

But if you like it to shake more, get the rockfords, MTX sucks.
You might also want to look into a Solabaric, or a comp VR.

There is a lot of good stuff out there, just power it with a high quality amp.

Peace
Tnelson

·
Registered
846 Posts
JLs are your best bet if you ask me. I am also a big fan of any Orions, my friend has 2 12 inch orions and the pound hard! I like 10s more thatn 12s but thats just me.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Good choice my friend, good choice:)

·
Registered
846 Posts
Do any of you guys know how to tell the model # of JL 10s. I have two in a power wedge box and Im not sure what they are(W3, W6 etc...) Anyone know? They are 600 watts max a peice.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Do any of you guys know how to tell the model # of JL 10s. I have two in a power wedge box and Im not sure what they are(W3, W6 etc...) Anyone know? They are 600 watts max a peice.
you'll have to take the subs out of the box in order to tell if they're w3 or w6 it should say in very very small print on the bottom of the magnet if it's a 10w3 or 10w6

·
Registered
248 Posts
in the strictest of terms, a sub should not sound "tight" at all. people usually mean tight when they refer to those punchy bass notes in say, a electronic-genre song, or perhaps a snare drum.

but when a sub should be only producing frequencies below 80 hz, it should not sound tight. take a good home audio system, play one of those songs, and in the middle, unplug everything excet the sub, it should nto sound that tight.

its the midbass attack from your midbass speakers that is suppose to anchor the beginning of these bass notes and make the whole package sound tight.

in terms of sound quality, I personally take the following into account:

1. low frequency extesion
2. transient response (how fast a sub is, can it keep up in fast songs with the midbass)
3. frequency response, is there a major dip or peak in the frequency that make the music not sound right, in some cases bommy because say there is a huge peak around 70hz for some reason, but much of thsee reasons is because of enclosure problems or a vehicle's interior.
4. overhang - I have heard this one defined differently, i take it as when a sub produces sounds when its not suppose to, like it doesnt blend in smoohtly with the rest of the system, that you can definetrly tell that there is a spearate sub.
5. Impact - a sub may get louder on a db meter over all, but have less impact, this is the in your chest feeling when a note hits

there are a few others but these are the most important to me personally.

so...hjaving said that, you can get most subs to sound decent with the right install and tuning. the two subs you listed, I would have tos ay the MTX is definetly a more sound oriented sub and the rockford is louder...

both its defiently not absolute, like the mtx can get pretty loud too and the rf can sound pretty good too...

b

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would go with MA Audio extreme competition subs. the 10's push 2000 watts each and 15's push i think 3000. they are high quality and really loud. i have two 12" comp. subs and they make my ears fill up with fluid they are so loud. no one belives that they are just two twelves

·
Registered
307 Posts
Many subs...

I'm using an Alpine R-Type 10" sub and it sounds really nice, however, it doesn't go as low as I'd like. I am running it in a 1 cu. ft. enclosure (recommended) and it sounds clean but I want more low next time.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably go with either IDQ (Image Dynamics) or JL. I'm currently contemplating re-doing my trunk setup. I think I want to go with 2 freeair 12" subs with my current Kicker ZR 240 amp, but I'll have to wait and see.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
hey black95legend how do you like your subs? do they hit really hard? how much did you pay for them? i am thinki about the 2 12 extrme competition. how loud do you think that will be? my car club is sponsered by them so i get discounts on all their stuff. i think i get them from 200 or so a peice then the amp will be the top of the line 2 channel amp. anyways i just wanted you opionon on them i want to purchase them this sumer

·
Registered
449 Posts
Get a single IDMAX 12d4 with an 1000.1 and bring the whole band into your car. If you have the money go with 2 idmax 12d2 and the 1000.1 should give it enough juice or get a 1500.1.

·
Registered
248 Posts
good suggestions ont he idmax, if I had all the money in the world right now those are the subs I would get, throw a single one and give it 1000-1500 watts :)

one thing about them, I sincerely hope thatyou would try to put them in the spare tire well, or kiss half of your trunk good bye :) those thing sare like 8 inches DEEP :eek:

b

·
Registered
449 Posts
my eclipse aluminums are about 8 inches deep, I still have all those trunk space. I'm so tempted to try 1 12 IDMAX and see how it compares to 2 eclipse aluminums of mine right now.

Hey bing got any good suggestions on amp that can do 1500-2000 watts RMS at 2 ohms? 1000 watts to the eclipse just won't cut it. damn these things are some power hungry motha. Trying to keep the amp around 400 or so

1 - 20 of 41 Posts