Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys...
just a question regarding the white smoke

car is runnin just fine, just that my car smokes like mad when i start up...it doesn't go away until i put the car on the high way for about 2-3 miles...then the smoke would be gone...i hope it's not anything related to the head gasket. no loss in coolant as far as my routine check goes. coolant looks green and fresh. might it be the cold weather causing this?...but i let my car idle until the temp goes up 1/4 - 1/3 way. i don't know wat's goin on...need some insights.

and also my coolant's been flowing to the reservoir passed the max i don't know why...i recently drove my car very hard goin 100+ for 3 hours. the temp guage stays normal no sign of engine being too hot so i guess that the coolant does its job but i don't know why it's overflowing over to the reservoir...insights needed...thanx...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sounds like a head gasket to me. High temperature gases heating the coolant cause the overflow. As I recall this can be diagnosed fairly easily with a compression check, if I recall correctly.

Bob

·
Registered
168 Posts
sanlois who? what region is that in? Does it get cold or foggy where you live? do you store your car outside? Could just be condensatation maybe? Otherwise if you had a head gasket leak there would more than likely be a little antifrezze in oil.

·
Registered
216 Posts
First thing - Where the hell do you live?

I bought a Legend new and took it from 15miles to over 300,000 before someone hit it - before that I took a new Maxima to 275,000 before someone hit it.
I dont know lots about increasing horsepower but I consider myself an expert on getting top top miles out of a good car.

First - Sitting until the car temp goes up is a waste of gas and time. Yea, I know the car is alittle old but thats a Legend you got - not a bu!! s#!t buick or ford. Start rolling the car after about 30 seconds (it wont cut off)- drive slowly (approx 20-30) for about 3/4 -1 mile which gives your tranny and dif a chance to warm up also- then your good to go. Right now you are only warming your engine and at the same time using too rich of a fuel /air mixture.
**What I just said does not count if you live in the frozen tundra and have to chip your car out of the Ice. Only kidding. But seriously where is SanLuisObispo?**

The white smoke does not sound like a hg problem to me. It sounds like - blow by - meaning that your rings and seals are starting to wear and as you start the car oil is getting past them until they warm up and expand.

If you use 5-30 try 10-30 also try Valvoline Max-Life. This wont correct worn parts but it will help reduce the smoke.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Listen to Double Legend, I couldn't agree more. If the smoke disappears after a short distance (you said 15 miles) then I doubt its your HG. However, to correct this problem - your fix won't be much cheaper (if its just your valve seals - like I suppose). Either your rings or seals .... just like Double Legend has said....

...are worn and as you start the car oil is getting past them until they (rings and seals) warm up and expand.

KNLNGUS

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
San Luis Obispo is half way between Los Angeles and San Francisco on the west coast. Pretty well known place here in CA.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Madnez,

I read your post again. Are you saying that the coolant is blowing out of the bottle or that it is just coming up slightly above max when the car warms. I read it the first time to mean that you were loosing coolant from the bottle.

Also, check out this post which is basically discussin the same subject.

http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&postid=53584#post53584

Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts